The mkiv Supra Owners Club

help with connecting to router?

JamieP

Im on site and i have my both my laptops with me, im on the clients wireless (i have his permission) with the laptop im on now and all works great, with my work laptop i cant get on it, (it works fine at home) the laptop sees his router but wont connect, every time i try to connect with the work laptop it says fault found and when i try to repair it says fault unknown?

Anyone got any ideas? cheers Jamie.

Hmmm very odd

Just tried..

Laptop running Vista

1-Turning it back on and off, turned the wireless on and off

2-Going through network centre -> join network (It can see the network but can't join it)

3-Tried the repair option

It is a realtek wireless card and the wireless is unsecure and the SSID is all lower case. I've seen this before when the SSID was mixed case but not lower case.

I'm going to have a dig around see what I can find, but anybody else got any ideas?

I think Abz is right, if you use it for work (dont know what you work as) they have probably given it a static IP address in line with the rest of their network.

You could try temporarily setting your wireless card to DHCP (Obtain an address automatically) to see if that works, I would make a note of its current settings first though for when you need to switch back.

Are you getting an IP Address when connecting to the clients wireless router?

Click Start > Network Connections > Right click connection > Status:

If so what address are you getting?

Also could your work laptop have a static IP Address?

You have to remember you are dealing with a brickie here:D

I cant even find network connections when i click start? laptop is vista.

Try checking the authentication method used on the working laptop. I have this issue all the time with the office wireless which is a Cisco system

2.) Go to ‘Network Connections’, select your wireless network card and go to properties.

3.) Go to the ‘Wireless Networks’ tab choose wireless network in question and properties

4.) Then go to the ‘Authentication’ tab and change the ‘EAP type’ from ‘Smart Card’ to ‘PEAP’. Hit ok

5.) Disable and Re-enable your wireless connection. You should then be connected to the new wireless LAN.

You have to remember you are dealing with a brickie here:D

I cant even find network connections when i click start? laptop is vista.

Ahh, apologises :)

Hmmm very odd

Just tried..

Laptop running Vista

1-Turning it back on and off, turned the wireless on and off

2-Going through network centre -> join network (It can see the network but can't join it)

3-Tried the repair option

It is a realtek wireless card and the wireless is unsecure and the SSID is all lower case. I've seen this before when the SSID was mixed case but not lower case.

I'm going to have a dig around see what I can find, but anybody else got any ideas?

Could be worth while checking proxy settings? I guess you could talk Jamie through it? Can you ping the router?

Ahh, apologises :)

Could be worth while checking proxy settings? I guess you could talk Jamie through it? Can you ping the router?

It doesn't even establish the link to the wireless.. It sees it, and as soon as he goes connect it pop ups with 'unspecified error'.

He does have another laptop next to him which works, so the wireless is working.

It doesn't even establish the link to the wireless.. It sees it, and as soon as he goes connect it pop ups with 'unspecified error'.

He does have another laptop next to him which works, so the wireless is working.

Gav, could you get him to try renewing the IP Address on the laptop?

Jamie - If Gav is not around, try this:

Click Start > Run

In this command box type "CMD" (You should get a black box coming up)

Then type in ipconfig /release - It should release all the IP Addresses (takes about 10 secs).

Then type in ipconfig /renew.

Now try connecting again to the wireless connecting.

Let us know how you get on.

Won't work if it's what i think it is.. My guess is the lappy that doesn't work doesn't support the encryption the router is running.

I have had this exact issue a few times. Had to dumb down the encryption to get it to work, something that i'm not sure the client would fancy :D

My guess is WPA2.

Won't work if it's what i think it is.. My guess is the lappy that doesn't work doesn't support the encryption the router is running.

I have had this exact issue a few times. Had to dumb down the encryption to get it to work, something that i'm not sure the client would fancy :D

My guess is WPA2.

It is an unsecured network, I was wondering if there is something quirky with Vista? I've not used Vista only Xp and 7.

by the sounds of it the laptop is not even communicating with the wireless access point so its not even getting as far as dishing out IP's :)

The way i read it is the laptop can see the router, as it tries to connect to it, it gets connection failed. This could be the DHCP throwing it out instantly.

I've had that issue with my previous router, gave a wierd error and didn't let me connect. On static it worked fine. I also had that same issue with WPA2.

by the sounds of it the laptop is not even communicating with the wireless access point so its not even getting as far as dishing out IP's :)

The way i read it is the laptop can see the router, as it tries to connect to it, it gets connection failed. This could be the DHCP throwing it out instantly.

I've had that issue with my previous router, gave a wierd error and didn't let me connect. On static it worked fine. I also had that same issue with WPA2.

More the first one, it was an almost instant network error. That is the bit that is throwing me, usually with MAC filtering and encryption it takes a while to come back. As said, it works on a different laptop so I'm sort of sure it is a Vista quirk or driver.

More the first one, it was an almost instant network error. That is the bit that is throwing me, usually with MAC filtering and encryption it takes a while to come back. As said, it works on a different laptop so I'm sort of sure it is a Vista quirk or driver.

Pretty much out of ideas without having my mits on it lol. I would still give the static IP a go though.