Americanisms that annoy me

Thorin

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is you aksin me?

I don't like "Have you got a loan of 10p" up here. Heard it in England too, think its a northern thing though.

First time I heard it I said "No, I've got my own money". They asked again and again saying noooooo.... "have you got a LOAN of 10p". Took a while but we got there in the end.

My mistake, I see now.

How could I not spot that a takeover by an American company is akin to

"I could care less" - So you could? erm, what a pointless statement.

"Very addicting" - Addicting? WTF is that? The word is addictive!

Stupid merkins.

I'm surprised you didn't just miaow.

RACISTS!!!!!!

I like America and it's people, leave them alone.

"its", surely. Shame on you.

I object to the American phrase 'back in the day'. I also dislike 'give it up', in the sense of 'applaud wildly'.

No American can pronounce anything ending in 'rier' or 'rior'. For example 'warrior' comes out as 'whirrir'. I've never heard an American say 'furrier', but I'm sure that would be rendered as 'furrrrrr'

I'm not sure whether it's an Americanism, but I am increasingly noticing the use of 'electrocuted' to mean 'sufffering an electric shock'. I think some public electrocutions are needed in order to demonstrate the difference.

I'm not sure whether it's an Americanism, but I am increasingly noticing the use of 'electrocuted' to mean 'sufffering an electric shock'. I think some public electrocutions are needed in order to demonstrate the difference.

:yeahthat:

I don't think it's an Americanism though, the same as people saying 'literally' as an exageration, like: "I literally died when I saw it.".

A bit of simple advice.

Just don't speak to them, listen to them, or read what they (try) to write. I have found it has served me in good stead ever since one was accepted into my old school as some sort of early PC statement ;) The fact he became a millionaire at a disgustingly young age is obviously solely down to the lack of distraction from his studies by being ostracised by the more gentile members of the school :)

• 2 weeks later...