Americanisms that annoy me

Thorin

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not styroform, it's polystyrene.

Unless you're talking about styrofoam.....

The worst one is 'ass'. Not because it's American but because English / British people decided to start using it like a bunch of illiterate cretins.

Ass = mule

Arse = that flabby thing you sit on.

Although i don't mind most American words, just the bellends who use them who aren't American... Like the people who spent 11 years at school learning English only to decide 'centre' is spelt 'center' because they saw it written down on Friends.

the way they eat annoys me though; knife in right hand, fork in left hand. Cut food and then put the fork in their right hand to eat it.

The worst one is 'ass'. Not because it's American but because English / British people decided to start using it like a bunch of illiterate cretins.

Ass = mule

Although i don't mind most American words, just the bellends who use them who aren't American... Like the people who spent 11 years at school learning English only to decide 'centre' is spelt 'center' because they saw it written down on Friends.

the way they eat annoys me though; knife in right hand, fork in left hand. Cut food and then put the fork in their right hand to eat it.

Arse!

Eating? Really? Do they all do that, or only the ones you've seen doing that in 'Friends'?! ;)

Really? Can't say I've noticed that before. There's an American here at work, I'm going to stare at him when he eats now.

Ass = mule

Indeed and if you're from S. London then: ass = house

So "...do you want to come and see my ass (house)?..." may not be wise for a Londoner to ask in New York.

and you can take that to the bank!!!

Arse!

Eating? Really? Do they all do that, or only the ones you've seen doing that in 'Friends'?! ;)

Really? Can't say I've noticed that before. There's an American here at work, I'm going to stare at him when he eats now.

apparently so.

I've got an annoying habit of watching people eat and the strange ways some people hold their knife and fork. People say that holding the fork in your right hand is the left handed way to eat.. well i'm left handed and i don't eat like that, so i googled it and discovered that Americans swap their fork over.

http://www.chefalbrich.com/etiquette/proper_knife_fork.htm

American Style (also known as the zig-zag style)

By American custom, which was brought about partly by the late introduction of the fork into the culture, all three utensils are intended for use primarily with the right hand, which is the more capable hand for most people. This leads to some complicated maneuvering when foods, such as meat, require the use of knife and fork to obtain a bite of manageable size. When this is the case, the fork is held in the left hand, turned so that the tines point downward, the better to hold the meat in place while the right hand operates the knife. After a bite-sized piece has been cut, the diner sets the knife down on the plate and transfers the fork to the right hand, so that it can be used to carry the newly cut morsel to the mouth. Emily Post calls this the "zig-zag" style.

What's really funny is that American TV bleeps out the "ass" part of jackass. Why?

I noticed that watching American Hotrod the other day. Someone complained about a guy's ass hanging out of his trousers which didn't get bleeped, yet moments later he called him a jackass and they bleed the ass part.

Like the people who spent 11 years at school learning English only to decide 'centre' is spelt 'center' because they saw it written down on Friends.

Don't watch much 'Friends', but I have been known to spell 'Centre' as 'Center' because I spend half my time reminding myself that's how it's spelt in html. (Spent ages figuring out why my alignments wouldn't work the first time I made that mistake!)