The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official Series 14 Top Gear Thread

Steve

And now they hate gays...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/12/01/top-gear-ban-on-gay-couples-joining-studio-audience-115875-21863544/

Gay couples are furious after being “banned” from studio recordings of Top Gear.

They are prevented from joining the TV audience under a bizarre rule that stipulates bookings must be “50 per cent male and 50 per cent female”.

But last night the policy was slammed as “discrimination”.

Simon Reeves, 26, who was turned down when he and his partner applied for tickets to the BBC2 show, said: “I couldn’t believe it.

“Top Gear is the blokiest show on telly but we weren’t allowed unless we took a couple of female friends.

“It seems unfair that a married heterosexual couple are the ‘ideal’ applicants but same sex couples have no chance whatsoever.

Simon, of Haslemere, Surrey, added: “It sounds like something Jeremy Clarkson came up with to ensure he didn’t have to put up with any gays.”

All applications to attend the five-hour recording in an aircraft hangar in Dunsfold, Surrey, must be for groups of up to four, made up equally of males and females. The website which handles the allocation says: “Each booking requires equal amounts of men to women, so please ensure that you have a 50/50 split of guys and gals in your party.”

Presenter Clarkson was rapped by Ofcom in 2007 for making a homophobic remark on the programme. He described a car as “a bit gay.... very ginger beer”.

Last night, Ben Summerskill, chief executive of gay rights charity Stonewall, said of the ticket ruling: “It’s very odd, but what do you expect from pigs that grunt? Regrettably, with Jeremy Clarkson involved, it’s not surprising. The show itself is full of stereotyping of both men and women – but it’s funded by gay and lesbian licence fee cash as well as everyone else’s.

“Arguably, this is a breach of the Sexual Orientation Regulations 2005.”

A BBC spokeswoman said same sex couples were welcome. The 50/50 split was simply “to avoid the entire audience being made up of men”.

She added: “There is nothing sinister going on.” But she admitted girls were sometimes moved around so they would be in camera shot.

“Viewers don’t want to just look at a load of ugly men,” she explained.

Like we hadn't guessed they moved the ladies around so they are in shot already *sigh*

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And now they hate gays...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/12/01/top-gear-ban-on-gay-couples-joining-studio-audience-115875-21863544/

Like we hadn't guessed they moved the ladies around so they are in shot already *sigh*

It's not just gays. How about if I wanted to go with one of my mates? That would not be allowed either, unless we brought along some ladie friends. What's stopping ONE gay bloke from going with a female friend? They just want something to moan about and act oppressed and discriminated against. Bloody gays :p

It's not just gays. How about if I wanted to go with one of my mates? That would not be allowed either, unless we brought along some ladie friends. What's stopping ONE gay bloke from going with a female friend? They just want something to moan about and act oppressed and discriminated against. Bloody gays :p

:taped: [sHOCK][/sHOCK] :p

How will MattH ever get to see top gear live!

What they did to that car was more or less what i thought they would do.

I can just see what would happen now if JamieP gave his car to the stig, and they claimed the engine had been built in someones shed, followed by them thrashing it around the track, spinning it and then making a joke of it.

I on the other hand watch 5th gear (which ,Soop Dogg, is still around) if I want to know about cars and Top Gear for pure entertainment value.

Really? I thought since THIS was announced that there wasn't going to be any more series of Fifth Gear.

Or perhaps your username alludes to the TV Channel you watch the most? They do a lot of re-runs don't they? ;)

Not a fan of Renaults, but pointlessly trashing a car is dumb beyond belief!:blink:

Yea, I didn't get that bit. I enjoyed it up to that point, as I thought it was worth a chuckle or two. I did laugh out loud at the Ross Kemp-in-the-boot part. But I quickly got fed up when he trashed it. Pointless.

X5M looks great fun, but not £70k+

I actually enjoyed the Twingo review. Thought it was fun to see a hot-hatch again! I think the destroying of it was a bit excessive to point out the costs of cheap parts to repair it with, and driving it into the sea at the end was a bit of fun. Apart form that it was all sh!te.

On a side note, did anyone catch the hottie on the left during the 'news' bit? :love:

Any screenshots would be greatly appreciated! :D

On a side note, did anyone catch the hottie on the left during the 'news' bit? :love:

Any screenshots would be greatly appreciated! :D

Oddly, on another forum someone was there for the filming

you saw the girl with the white hair while you were there then? she looked yummy.

She was in her 50s, with a ton of makeup and thousands of pounds worth of surgery. She was horrible.

Which is quite remarkable if true, as she certainly didn't look like that on the telly.