The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official Series 14 Top Gear Thread

Steve

Is anyone mildly annoyed that they didn't make the Stig put in a spin free lap of the track? ok it looked a handful in the conditions but so was the koenigsegg a few years back and that got another go.

Maybe the kit car wasn't as desirable as the Koenigsegg, so they didn't feel the need? Or maybe the spinning was more entertaining?

Was a better show last night, still not brilliant but much better than last weeks.

I was a bit annoyed that they felt the need to stage the lap as well, I mean I know the board is in the order they want but it's getting silly when they do a purposefully bad lap for the sake of a few laughs.

The only reason I can think of is to say that a home-assembled car, is a bad a idea on the whole, and would never be as good as the real thing?

I have to say when they came up with the competition I said Alpha straight away, then said maybe Lancia cos I LOVE the Delta Integrale.

I immediately thought Noble. Not made many cars, but everyone they've made is brilliant, which makes the percentage decent!

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I was very surprised when Clarkson said that Stig was going to take the car round the track. And then not at all surprised when they deliberately messed it all up making the car come bottom of the board.

They should have a notice at the start of the show saying thats its all made up crap :)

What a great episode, makes me love Lambos even more. The interior even just makes me drool.

Bit disappointed about the lack of testing of the new Gallardo. That was wierd, and they didn't take it on the track :(

Still, fully enjoyed it I didn't want it to end, unlike last weeks, which was a bit dull.

The Stratos taken around the course wasn't real, it's in fact a replica. Owned by Nico the chairman of the SEC.

If you look at the start the Stratos doesn't have headlights and then it grows some. Also Stig blew up the engine (not a dino, buy a 3.0 V6 alfa lump) and also broke the door by leaning on it with his full weight going around a corner (it's fibreglass).

The Lancia owner's club are actually furious at the episode and are now taking a complaint to OFCOM I've beent old.

I thought the piece was very flattering about the Stratos and also the 'grale. Some people just can't take a joke, they're mainly furious at that beta they trashed.

Stratos are nice, a friend of mine is in the process of building his second Hawk Stratos kit after his first got sold and exported to Italy. He's also had 7 'grales and has a nice Beta which was on the stand at the Birmingham motor show.

Extract from http://www.stratossupersite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7683

On Wednesday, the day of filming, I had to be at the studios by 8am which meant leaving home at 4.30am.

After off loading the car on its slick tyres I went through the start procedue with them and handed over the keys. I then went to park up my truck and trailer away from the studio but with a good vantage point of the test track. At 9am the editor came to ask me if I wouldn't mind fitting the 2nd set of wet weather tyres as it was pouring with rain and he said that they wouldn't get far on the slicks - I duly obliged. Then this week's Stig driver came round(Andy something, I think) and got in the car, started the engine revving it's nuts off making it bounce off the rev limiter. To which he remarked "I thought I was pressing the brake" - I explained to him that the brake is the next one along and the clutch the next one after that. Off he shot.

The car flashed down the track and to me it sounded as though it was firing on 5 cylinders but it was going so fast and it was raining so hard it was difficult to tell.

For the next hour and a half I watched through binoculars as they filmed the supposed one power lap. In fact he drives two or three laps and then the camera team move to the next corner and he does two or three more laps and so on. In all he must have done 30+ laps. Then he did the supposed spinning out of control on the power lap. I must admit though, he is a very good driver in the way that he provoked and recovered the spins - or maybe they were just his practice ones. From this you can see how contrived it all was.

My view is that from the outset this was the direction that the programme was going to take. Even if the car had performed spectacularly they would have still slated it.

Nico went in to the studio filming and immediately expressed his anger and concern over the way everything had been handled and portrayed. Including Clarksons comments - a great looking car but a crap build (or words to that effect).

My emails and telephone conversations with the BBC were met with 'media talk' and I was told hat they were going to show the footage and nothing was going to change. Legal action by Gerry and Nico to remove all footage of the car and all references to it have just been sidestepped by the BBC.

The script for the show was written even before they had the car and the issue is with the people who design the programme and not the three stooges who front it. It just goes to show that these are no different to any other treacherous bastards in the media. Both Gerry and I are absolutely devastated about the programme and fear the negative knock on effect on our businesses. I am personally well known throughout the industry - as is Gerry.

I have a meeting with one of my prized customers on Wednesday and I have 14 of his cars in my workshops. I am dreading what his thoughts will be about me and my capabilities after he sees the programme as he knows that I built the car.

I believe that in future if a car is offered to any influential media for road testing etc it is only fair that it should first be vetted and approved by the manufacturer before it 'goes out'.

If this does have a negative effect I am sure that there will be 3 suicides in the motor industry very soon.

In my view it is no good whinging about the media if you are going to sit and watch this type of programme every week or indeed go out and buy their books etc - you are just encouraging them. Take my advice and turn the twats off and go and read someone else's quality publication instead.

They do seem a tad annoyed...

Oh and this

http://www.stratossupersite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7686

Just watching the episode myself on iPlayer now :)

Nuts just also realised that Michael quoted this earlier on. Apologies for the pearoast!

My colleague has 2 Lancia Delta Integrale's, his part of the owners club & knows the fella who owns the Red which Hammond drove. I've copied the contents of our e-mail this morning with some links :).

===============================================================================

He was quite OK about it, see comments below:

to: andymc > 49 of 68

23994.49 /messages?msg=23994.49> in reply to 23994.45 /mb/message.asp?webtag=evoforum&msg=23994.45>

Scrubs up nice, doesn't she? ;-)

TBH, although the footage was shot six weeks ago or so, I genuinely had no idea 'til Wednesday's studio recording which way it would go. Like most Grale owners, I know the car's strengths, but I also know its weaknesses. It's also a fifteen year old car now, so how would it fare in the hands of a journalist who regularly drives some of the very best cars that the world has to offer right now (including that fabulous Balboni - God I want that car!).

In the end though, the Grale held its own, looked fabulous (though I say so myself ;-)), and Hammond's whoops and yelps of joy seemed genuine.

The only problem is that my mother (who was instructed to watch the programme at home onthe grounds that I'd be expected to sit through Songs of Bleedin' Praise if ever she was on it), now thinks that the car is worth £100k. I've tried to explain to her that that was the price they put on a genuine Stratos, but to my mother one red Lancia is much like another... ;-)

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 30 November 2009 11:42

To: Osoba, Emanuel; Ahmed, Abdin

Subject: RE: Lancia on Top gear

Have to join to see that site. I assume he wasn't too impressed with them ragging the nuts of it?

Sent: 30 November 2009 11:04

To: Ahmed, Abdin

Cc: Guvercin, Umit

Subject: Lancia on Top gear

Some comments from Simon ( The guy whose car was featured on Top Gear last night)

Simon is well know in the Lancia community as some one who loves polishing his cars and never revs the nuts out of them !

http://forums.delphiforums.com/evoforum/messages/?msg=23994.49

I presume they take the time as the fastest clean lap done that day, but make up the actual "visual" lap from a montage of shots through the day. Thus they can chuck in the spins to make better telly.

Naive!
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_shock.gif

Cynic. /vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_cool.gif

Last nights TG was utter rubbish.

About 20 mins before the end (I think it was when they were bumping a Lancia into a Marina with a piano on top of it) I was thinking to myself that this would probably end up as 60 minutes of my life that I'd like to have made better use of. Then at the finish, Angie turned to me and said 'Well - that's an hour of my life I'd like back!'

We're both nuts about cars and for years have loved watching TG, but it's heading the way of 5th Gear in that it'll probably not be around for too much longer if it keeps this up.

Same old cr@p week after week.

Naive!
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_shock.gif

Cynic. /vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_cool.gif

Naive? I'd like to think there is a least some method there, else it would be like trying to maintain a massive lie. As every single car would have a made up time, the effort involved in trying to research all that and avoid impossible fast times would far outweigh the effort in simply driving it round the track, which they're doing anyway to film it.

Didn't Clarkson mention they'd had emails from people saying it's not a car show any more? Why don't they bleedin listen then!!!!!

I get the impression they are just actors now, the BBC scriptwriters write the show as an entertainment show, with all fictional comedy and whatever, and the 3 goons just read the script and act the show. I'm sure they get more viewers that way but they're not the same viewers TG used to have. Such a shame.

I get the impression they are just actors now, the BBC scriptwriters write the show as an entertainment show, with all fictional comedy and whatever, and the 3 goons just read the script and act the show. I'm sure they get more viewers that way but they're not the same viewers TG used to have. Such a shame.

This is the best way to put it :thumbs:

Look, if you don't like it don't watch it, end of the day it's that simple.

I on the other hand watch 5th gear (which ,Soop Dogg, is still around) if I want to know about cars and Top Gear for pure entertainment value.

Whya re people compleining about Top Gear saying the build being rubbish? My brake's don't lock up or brake or bend or whatever they did.

If I lean on my window it doesn't brake and when i'm driving my windscreen wipers fall off.

The guy then said he's fully repaired it and spent lots of late nights doing so, yet he then says it sounds like it was firing off 5 cylinders.

Look the car looked gorgeous but definately had reliability issues.