The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Talk Talk Broadband - Simply Awful and what can i do next?

ady_supra

Hello all

I had Talk Talk wireless broadband installed 3 weeks ago and have a major problem. I can only pick up the connection when i'm within 2 metres of the router and anything further away from that and the reception fully goes down. This means i can only use it in 1 room and entering another room, the router can't even be picked up by my laptop.

I'm getting a better connection from other houses in my street as the house 3 down from me still gives me a 2 out of 5 block reception, but all them of them are security enabled.

Any reason why this is happening, is it just a poor quality router.

I've had a convo with them (after waiting 30 mins in a queue) and they just said your line is fine and nothing else we can do. However in order to cancel its going to cost me approx £150 to reconnect back with BT again :(

I've already forked out the connection fee and paid for the first months line rental and internet fee.

Also if i telephone somebody it comes up as a private number and on a couple of occasions an 0300............ number has come up on the receivers mobile. Whats all that about?

Any suggestions on what i can do next or improve the reception would be appreciated.

Many thanks

i have had a similar problem, few things you can try:

1) get a half decent router - i would recommend linksys

2) change the wifi channel to something else, mine is working perfectly now, set it to channel 2 and job done.... there are numerous "open" routers on my street so i tend to always have a net connection ;)

Surely Talk Talk will have to provide me with a router that can do the job sufficiently and fulfil the aims of the service they are providing, in this case WIRELESS broadband meaning that i should be able to connect to the internet without havng to use any wires for connecting.

Everybody else in the street has free routers provided by their provider whether it be Sky or BT and they always work well.

Surely Talk Talk will have to provide me with a router that can do the job sufficiently and fulfil the aims of the service they are providing, in this case WIRELESS broadband meaning that i should be able to connect to the internet without havng to use any wires for connecting.

Everybody else in the street has free routers provided by their provider whether it be Sky or BT and they always work well.

you would think that ;)

because there are other routers on the same vicinity, you're bound to get interference... start by changing the wifi channel and if that fails, get yourself something decent...

Nobody else seems to have interference in my street from other routers.

Also how do i change the wifi channel?

Thanks

That might be because they've all changed there channels so that they are nicely spaced out and don't interfere with each other?

You should be able to get to your routers options through your browser - google the exact model etc for instructions, but it'll be a case of typing something like 192.168.1.1 into the address bar of your web browser and having a dig around in the wireless settings. You'll find a dropdown box with the channel number in it - just select another number until you find the best one for you.

talktalk comes with a booklet on how to login to your router as you will of had to put in your username & password.

I had same problem at girlfriends house, in the end it was combination of interferance and very thick walls in her house, they had had an extension which meant an outside wall was an inside wall.

Bought a netgear range Max N or whatever it is and no signal problems since.

That might be because they've all changed there channels so that they are nicely spaced out and don't interfere with each other?

You should be able to get to your routers options through your browser - google the exact model etc for instructions, but it'll be a case of typing something like 192.168.1.1 into the address bar of your web browser and having a dig around in the wireless settings. You'll find a dropdown box with the channel number in it - just select another number until you find the best one for you.

I've just rang the technical helpline and initially when they were setting my wireless internet connection, they used a number like the one mentioned above. However they just told me that this is the one number they have available to them and that there is no dropdown box with alternative channel numbers :(

What next?

I've just rang the technical helpline and initially when they were setting my wireless internet connection, they used a number like the one mentioned above. However they just told me that this is the one number they have available to them and that there is no dropdown box with alternative channel numbers :(

What next?

I'm sure you'll be able to choose which channel your wifi will use.

Which router do you have?

(See HERE for choice of routers)

In fact, visit HERE.

Talktalk give instructions on how to change the wireless channel on a number of there routers - scroll down to the section 'Step 5: Change the wireless channel'.

hi mate

thanks for the links

however how do i know which channel i'm on at the moment and how do i know which the best channel is?

Thanks

hi mate

thanks for the links

however how do i know which channel i'm on at the moment and how do i know which the best channel is?

Thanks

Did you actually read the instructions in the links I gave you?

They ALL mention the channel number drop down list.

The number that you see in this drop down list (before you change it) indicates the channel you're currently using.

Nobody here can tell you which channel will be the best for you because it depends what channels your neighbours are using. (One or more of which could be causing interference)

The best way to find the best channel is to start at channel one and see how it goes. If that doesn't work, then increment the channel number. Repeat until you get the best performance. Remember to click 'APPLY' each time you change the channel number. This saves your new settings and will also reboot the router - so wait for a minute before trying to connect following a channel change.

Good luck.