The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need help of gamers!

jonathanc

I don't want to kill people as a result of playing BF2 but I do find myself looking at things and marking them out as good sniping spots now and again.

I'd quite like a large red arrow pointing down on my car when I leave it somewhere... a la' Grand Theft Auto.

Also I'd like a large exclamation mark to appear above my head when I'll alerted to someone stealthing in behind me... like the guards on MGS :)

You should stop drinking in the day time ;)

If what I wrote makes no sense to someone then it doesn't matter to them, would bring about a pointless debate, no doubt argumentative and agressive knowing your previous responses to people you disagree with.

Not drinking, just can't be bothered.

Happens with anything you are concentrating hard on. Its normal, nothing to do with the game. The reaction comes from the levels of concentration used during a game.

True I guess. But lets say if I am playing pool and one of my mates pushed me I will be angry but will just shake it off.

However, if I am playing a online team based game like L4D or CoD I will feel the anger more.

Maybe its just me :search:

I don't want to kill people as a result of playing BF2 but I do find myself looking at things and marking them out as good sniping spots now and again.

lol, have to admit I did that too. Sometimes I will pick targets partially exposed in the distance and think to myself "mmmm, that will be a juicy headshot"

Of course I don't intend to act it out, its just like when I was really into WoW and I wished I could Hearthstone out when stuck in a jam.

(to non WoW players Hearthstone instantly returns you to an inn, where its practically a like a home where you can eat/drink/rest etc)

But what about those high profile mass shooting cases (not sure if Columbine is linked to games) ? Do they actually want to act it out? Want to be like their hero ingame?

True I guess. But lets say if I am playing pool and one of my mates pushed me I will be angry but will just shake it off.

However, if I am playing a online team based game like L4D or CoD I will feel the anger more.

Maybe its just me :search:

I'm trying to think of an example and I am honestly struggling. Perhaps there isn't really anything else that has such high concentration levels aiming to a victory, as there is with electronic games.

The only thing I can slightly relate on a personal level is card sleights. It takes a LOT of work to get some of the more difficult ones down, if I got interupted just as I felt I was getting somewhere (like imminent victory in a game) I would be pretty ratty.

I'm just as bad on the internet though. If I am writing a long post that I am concentrating on I get ratty if the Wife wants to start talking to me in the middle of it and then moans at me for not listening (I do the nodding head thing).

I can't believe this just clicked in my mind. Its frustration that does it. Thats the feeling that makes me snappy during games etc. I feel it mostly with car racing games as I am more passionate about them.

I would never blame the game though, it is my reaction to frustration from something in the game not going my way.

But what about those high profile mass shooting cases (not sure if Columbine is linked to games) ?

Those involved were apparently fans of Doom and Wolfenstein 3D but so are a lot of other people who go on to brush kittens, help old people across roads and cure diseases. There has to be something else within these folks.

The Virginia Tech chap had a bit of history with the old mentalist docs so they had the foundations in place to be able to point the finger at his instability / depression / anxiety rather than his hobbies and interests. I suspect a bit of investigation into the Columbine chaps would have discovered similar issues but they weren't at the stage where it was obvious they needed help or at a point where they were able to ask for it.

Do people who are supposedly influenced by computer games in this way also think they can fly or that they are a blue hedgehog that likes collecting rings?

If what I wrote makes no sense to someone then it doesn't matter to them, would bring about a pointless debate, no doubt argumentative and agressive knowing your previous responses to people you disagree with.

Not drinking, just can't be bothered.

Cock.

I think it has some slight involvement, people play need for speed & then think they can drive on the other side of the road & if they crash they need to reset!

If you do something repetitive it will seem normal to you...

If someone is truly that stupid, then weeding them out of the gene pool is a good thing. I just hope they hit a tree, not someone else.

Maybe people are looking at this the wrong way. Make the challenge "design a computer game that can make a normal person go out and commit multiple murders and think it's OK because of the game". If you can't do that, and somehow I doubt you can, how can a game that wasn't explicitly designed with that intention be responsible for anything?

Again, in case you need to hear it one more time, it's the parents. Blaming other crap is just a guilt parachute for them. Letting your kid play 18 rated games when they are 12? Parents. Letting them play 18hrs straight? Parents. Blaming games/movies/internet/rap music/whatever instead? Parents. Pah.

-Ian

It's tough being a parent these days :(

I don't believe that for 1 second. The amount of aids, guides and information available nowadays means that being a GOOD parent is down to how willing you are to accept the responsibility.

Saying that, it won't be long and I will be a parent. I'll decide then if I think it was any harder a job than my folks had with me.

A childs nature and behavour is built by experience and upbringing. As long as there aren't too many wires crossed in the old noggon then there are no excuses.

I don't believe that for 1 second. The amount of aids, guides and information available nowadays means that being a GOOD parent is down to how willing you are to accept the responsibility.

Saying that, it won't be long and I will be a parent. I'll decide then if I think it was any harder a job than my folks had with me.

A childs nature and behavour is built by experience and upbringing. As long as there aren't too many wires crossed in the old noggon then there are no excuses.

Congrats mate ;) First few weeks are tough as you need to get adjusted to lack of sleep etc but it gets better.

I was just semi-joking about my statement in response to the earlier post.

Everyone wants to be a good parent but sometimes there's just things that can't be controlled. Since a game can be rated 18, why not check ID as with tobacco and alcohol? I think that will tighten things up a bit but some might disagree saying that we will live in a nanny state etc etc

Congrats mate ;) First few weeks are tough as you need to get adjusted to lack of sleep etc but it gets better.

I was just semi-joking about my statement in response to the earlier post.

Everyone wants to be a good parent but sometimes there's just things that can't be controlled. Since a game can be rated 18, why not check ID as with tobacco and alcohol? I think that will tighten things up a bit but some might disagree saying that we will live in a nanny state etc etc

I don't think the issues are with 16 and 17 year olds playing the 18 rated games. Its the 8 & 10 year olds that shouldn't be allowed.

I think a lot of the time its innocently down to the parents not paying attention and giving them whatever new game it is they want.

Noone deliberately sets out to be a bad parent, lazyness and selfishness does that for them.

I'm sorted, the Wife is an early years worker :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3680481.stm

Probably old news but parents blaming Rockstar, producer of GTA for the actions of their sons. Apparently the boys took some rifles from their home and hid in bushes near motorways to take pot shots at passing cars. They are also suing Walmart for selling the game to their boys. According to the article, "games industry representatives say there is no established link between games and violent behaviour. "

I find it amusing. Are the parents totally blind to their sons actions? How can they give access to firearms to minors so easily in the first place. Also blaming Walmart for selling the game? Who bought the game in the first place? I hardly think the 16 and 13 year old would use their pocket money, and even if they did, didn't the parents notice their son playing such a violent game at all? Why didn't they stop them?

I guess in the States you can sue for almost anything...

:rlol:

I agree about the point made about WoW though. I started back in 04 and during the "peak" of my addiction I spent countless hours on the game "grinding" for the High Warlord title in PvP (back when everything is competitive and epics still mean epics).

Horde Scum! I have 2 x Grand Marshal characters from back in the day, so you can imagine how much time that took (although the vast majority of that was AFK waiting for BG queues). I still play to this day, pretty much everyday, but if a friend calls and wants to go for a beer, game of squash etc etc, then WoW gets immediately sidelined :). There are many MANY people who would do the opposite.

I work for EA though, have done for 9 years now, so I get a lot of exposure to this particular arguement and, of course, I play a few games here and there :). Totally agree with the posts above .. it's not the games' fault, it's a matter of society and parenting. As was mentioned before, if it's not a game being blamed then it will be TV, Movies, Music, Animals, Barbie, Tellytubbies, those little yellow things that you get in urinals to keep them clean and fresh etc etc .. there will always be something to blame, a 'scapegoat' if you will. Games just seem to be an easy target because the people that complain about them have had no exposure to them, or no real understanding of them ... which means it MUST be their fault.

That'll do for now :D

J

I think games (and other media such as mags/tv) can desensitise people, which may cause certain actions to be less shocking to some than it is to others.

For example, the film "SAW" would have caused huge outrage back in the 60's, however by todays 'standards' its just another horror flick.

People have more access to media today than in the past, especially when it comes to computer games. I think most gamers play computer games as a means of escapism from their day to day lives, its a fantasy world, but it is important to remember that it is fantasy and not real at the end of the day.

As long as people know the difference between whats real and whats fantasy, and assuming they are raised to know the difference between good and bad, then I dont see how playing a game (or watching a movie) can turn you into a killer or other undesireable low life.

To date, I've seen many horror flicks and played many violent computer games and I've not had the need to headshot anyone or mow anyone down in the Supra for 50 points and an extra life. :)

I work for EA though, have done for 9 years now

Aha glad to see someone is trying to stamp out violence caused by computer games - by actively making people not want to buy them :)

What happened to EA eh? I'm sure we've had this conversation before, Need For Speed, multiplayer, fun, etc etc

Horde Scum! I have 2 x Grand Marshal characters from back in the day, so you can imagine how much time that took (although the vast majority of that was AFK waiting for BG queues). I still play to this day, pretty much everyday, but if a friend calls and wants to go for a beer, game of squash etc etc, then WoW gets immediately sidelined :). There are many MANY people who would do the opposite.

I work for EA though, have done for 9 years now, so I get a lot of exposure to this particular arguement and, of course, I play a few games here and there :). Totally agree with the posts above .. it's not the games' fault, it's a matter of society and parenting. As was mentioned before, if it's not a game being blamed then it will be TV, Movies, Music, Animals, Barbie, Tellytubbies, those little yellow things that you get in urinals to keep them clean and fresh etc etc .. there will always be something to blame, a 'scapegoat' if you will. Games just seem to be an easy target because the people that complain about them have had no exposure to them, or no real understanding of them ... which means it MUST be their fault.

That'll do for now :D

J

Heheh, well how can you still be playing nowadays...WoW is a pale shade of what it used to be. I grinded for HW way before cross server was introduced. It was crazy but I like the close knit community and competition. You actually know your enemies ;) I don't play at all now but have to admit I am currently on the PTRs as its free! kek.

Thanks for all the input so far. It's always nice to hear what other people think about this.

http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/459189

Updated poll so that you can give some feedback now ;)