The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sub £2k Supra to go racing with

SteveR

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not overly sold on the MR2s I've spotted just now, and isn't the Soarer a sloppy GT cruiser rather than a potential track contender (even if there were any manuals)?

I don't think it's any worse than the Supra, I'd go with something lighter for racing with though (if I were being sensible.. which I don't tend to be :sly:).

I look at a celica and a MR2 on sunday morning Steve and they well lets say needed alot of work. I would say my 2k budget for a car was unrealistic. Think im going to stick to trackdays and the sprint next year. Maybe a round of time attack.

That's a shame. :(

I know £2k (on the grid for £3k is tight, but it's got to be possible, with persistance. If anyone is, then I'm certainly the right combination of extremely tight and stubbornly optimistic to just keep waiting for the right car at the right budget. Hell I'll race the 306 if I have to! :D

Been thinking about this for the last couple of days and taking the rules into account.

Turbo cars will have to be fitted with a restrictor and you are limited to 200hp per ton with a min weight of 700kg, I would therefore be looking for an NA motor as close to the max hp limits as possible in a light front engine rear drive chassis.

The lighter the car the less you have to spend on big brakes to stop it, also uses less fuel and doesnt strain the transmission as much. With smaller brakes you can use smaller wheels so tires are cheaper too and being NA you shouldnt suffer the same heat issues as a turbo motor.

That reads as 'MX5' to me Wez (which also has its own racing series!).

Max5 racing, or thats what it use to be called :D

I would also look at older BMWs, possibly E30 stripped out with a decent NA power plant, not sure how much they weigh though.

For me I would also choose a car that has had years of race development on it so that off the shelf parts are easy to come by, things like PF race compound pads and discs, engine parts, cages, lexan windows and suspension etc.

For me I would also choose a car that has had years of race development on it so that off the shelf parts are easy to come by, things like PF race compound pads and discs, engine parts, cages, lexan windows and suspension etc.

Probably an MX5 then? Or even a Sierra XR4i?

Max5 racing, or thats what it use to be called :D

I would also look at older BMWs, possibly E30 stripped out with a decent NA power plant, not sure how much they weigh though.

We had similar thoughts. I wanted to stay true to the Supra as it ticks many of those boxes apart from weight: if that meant being the underdog in the best looking car at the back of the grid I wouldn't have minded too much but the reality is you don't get much choice for £2k.

So we thought E30/E36 BMW, MR2, MX5 (underpowered IMHO), 200SX maybe but with that cars aftermarket supplybeing almost entirely drift-focused would we be able to make a race car of it?

And again with the turbo restrictions that made me think the turbo advtantage is largely made negligable, so why bother with that extra part to go wrong? KISS and all that.

So basically we settled with, whatever comes along that fits the bill in most regards, we'll get. i.e.

• sensible starting base car (so things that the Omega suggested earlier in the thread are out)
  • ^^ as cheap as possible to leave money for mods (and fixes throughout the season)
  • plentiful choice and preferably cheap fit-for-purpose mandatory mods (e.g. roll cage. Sometimes the 'same' make/model of cage costs twice as much for one car as it does for another).
  • plentify choice of tuning bits/weight reduction/handling improvement/tyres/wheels etc, preferably cheap so we can get lots of them and enhance the car as much as possible for under £3k

and an MR2 has come along first. I'll check it out, if it's generally ok after I check it out then we'll go with that. If not, back to the selection list. :) Roll cages are cheaper in the MR2 than for BMs and Supras IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.