The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sub £2k Supra to go racing with

SteveR

A friend has potentially found a cheap & cheerful novice racing series for us to have a go at.

I need a RWD car - preferably a Supra - for less than £2k.

Must be manual and with MOT (or at least MOT-able).

Anyone got anything for me? :)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, would definitely recommend MR2 Turbo. less than 2K and Toyota reliability;)

We're considering MR2s too, both NA and turbo. I don't know enough about them to be confident about what I'm buying though, or what the bills are going to be if something goes 'pop' or 'crunch'.

I suspect they'll introduce NA & blown categories/classes, so an NA isn't necessarily on the back foot. I like the appeal of the Supra for obvious reasons but also for it's relative practicality: a stripped out car can lug it's spare wheels, a few tools and 2 people to the track and back (if it doesn't get broken) - what else can do that?

I'm not remotely interested in racing anything FWD.

I suspect they'll introduce NA & blown categories/classes, so an NA isn't necessarily on the back foot. I like the appeal of the Supra for obvious reasons but also for it's relative practicality: a stripped out car can lug it's spare wheels, a few tools and 2 people to the track and back (if it doesn't get broken) - what else can do that?

I'm not remotely interested in racing anything FWD.

If you're serious, PM me when you've bought one and we'll cover it in the mag. :)

This may sound a little mundane, but how about a Vauxhall Omega? RWD, VERY cheap 2nd hand parts, some good engines available (MV6 especially, OR the Saab turbo engines share the same bellhousing pattern and are very tunable apparently, and can be had for peanuts - PPC magazine rant on about the things all the time)

This may sound a little mundane, but how about a Vauxhall Omega? RWD, VERY cheap 2nd hand parts, some good engines available (MV6 especially, OR the Saab turbo engines share the same bellhousing pattern and are very tunable apparently, and can be had for peanuts - PPC magazine rant on about the things all the time)

How much are you looking at spending on one of those to make it handle though. :eek:

How much are you looking at spending on one of those to make it handle though. :eek:

If you get your hands on an MV6, they handle pretty well out of the box (although not well enough for track use)

I'd assume (Maybe not a good idea!) that they're well catered for suspension wise, as they have taken part in lots of different forms of motorsport over the years.

CW is obviously very clued up on racecars, so i'm sure he could give you some more accurate input.

It would be a contender Maybe not the winning one!) for me on the price of 2nd hand spares alone though, I can't imagine much else RWD with such a readily available supply of cheap spares.

So it's an 'idea'? When they decide something solid it could be good, I wouldn't rush out to buy a car for a series that doesn't exist yet though.

Have you considered the Nippon Challenge? That's been going for a couple of years now..

im guessing NA's would fall into the GT250 series running with the integras etc?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.