The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Serving soldier leads anti-war march. Coward or hero?

TonyP

I understand what your saying about the pension, but you get a pension for the time you served, every body gets the choice to which arm they join, or what career to follow (depending on quals), so if you decided to leave after 16 years and had the choice to serve till........ think the RAF is 55 if i remember rightly than surely you cannot complain that you are hard done by.

Agreed "you end up drawing the same pension as the slob that sat on benefits all his life having contributed nothing to the world bar 10 illegitimate kids". but that is the way the system is, either you nor I can change that, it the system that is at fault.

The point i was trying to make about the pension was that the guy deserves nothing, if you choose to go AWOL and march at the front of a rally when your not allowed then you forfeit the right, or at the very least pension untill the first day being AWOL.

Richie

I will say that you expect your government to be just and legal about the places they send you and honestly I think the legality side of Iraq is at best dubious. .

Irrespective of whether the war is right or not, it's not up to you to make the decision whether the people above you are making the right decisions. I can't walk into my boss' office and tell him he is wrong a standard grunts job is not to question the ranks above him especially if he doesn't have all (if any) information to confront the boss with.

I have a particular dislike for the regime thats running this country right now. I feel they think they transcend all common law, or applicability of values.

Which I do not think it true in reality. This country has one of the most impartial judicial systems than any country I can think of. The government can't do anything if the judges disagree.

Also, re the war, (and off topic) one point I would like to mention is that we all presume that nothing was found but I can't imagine that we would want to broadcast it if we did find the WOMD. My view is that the Americans knew that Hussain had them as they supplied him the parts... they can't shout 'we've found one' when it has 'made in USA' stamped on it.

I also think that we will never know (until 25 years from now when we can legally get access to the documents the government had)