The mkiv Supra Owners Club

stolen recovered ?

TRACIE_LOU

more info

Flimsy, badly fitted trim (even for a French car), brake discs seem to go in no time at all (maybe a defect with the OE ones, possibly solved by using pattern parts instead), heavy front tyre wear (very surprising for the type of car) and generally unpleasent to drive. A massive step backwards from the Saxo (In terms of dynamics and driver pleasure anyway) The only good thing I can think of is the fuel economy)

My friend has had one for a while now, and these are some of the problems he's had. He can't get shot of it either due to the finance agreement :taped:

Theres not really much point doing your own HPI check these days, con artists caught on to that along time ago and just copy the liscence plate number off a car the same make, model and colour so the HPI check comes up clean. Actually going to see the car would be your best bet and writing down all the important numbers vin/chassey and checking yourself if they all match up. If they do then theres a good chance it was stolen/recovered so therefore legit. all you'd have to worry about then is things like the rozza's turning up to check it for evidence etc but i dont think thats all that common. If they dont match, walk away and report him.

Friend bought a C2 GT (limited edition) from new.

Within the warranty he's had 3 gearbox replacements, two suspension arm replacements, ignition issues and engine management problems. No modifications, just stock and it's not built to last. Garage have actually said they will now do no more replacements under warranty.

And whilst he does drive it spiritedly he's not a person that bounces it off the rev limiter.

I agree with the above, a few friends had VTS/VTR saxos and it's a step back engineering and quality wise from what I've seen.

Stolen and recovered? I think the thief stole it and then realised it was a Citreon and returned it back! :D

Tracie - they are not really built to last. I drove the new C5 over the weekend to Chesterfield. Brilliant smooth ride, rubbish round corners at even the lowest of speeds. I could see things falling off in 2 years time and this car had only done 13k. Though the seats were very comfortable!

Theres not really much point doing your own HPI check these days, con artists caught on to that along time ago and just copy the liscence plate number off a car the same make, model and colour so the HPI check comes up clean. Actually going to see the car would be your best bet and writing down all the important numbers vin/chassey and checking yourself if they all match up. If they do then theres a good chance it was stolen/recovered so therefore legit. all you'd have to worry about then is things like the rozza's turning up to check it for evidence etc but i dont think thats all that common. If they dont match, walk away and report him.

thats not right

as the vin number will be different

hpi checks are done by vin number and number plate

and plus if you do a full gold hpi check they will refund you your money if they get it wrong

what can you suggest no more than 4 years old cheap to run ? £3500

Not a Seat Leon or Pug 206s.. friends had a issues with those.

Doing a search on Pistonheads nationwide with a budget of £3000-3800 (barter them down to £3500) you get a choice of...

Vauxhall Corsa / Vectra / Astra

MG ZR (seems ok when I test drove one)

Pug 307 diesel (it's french)

Renault Clio / Megane / Scenic

Seat Leon

Ford Fiesta / Ka / Mondeos

Yaris

Hyundai Getz

Fiat Panda / Punto

VW Polo

In that range I'd go for the Polo or the Corsa myself. VW pretty good for spares.

Is the 'less than 4 years old' thing mandatory? Otherwise myself I'd be looking at a Golf Mk4 GT TDI 120 or a Honda Civic, but you're looking at 2002 plates.

I guess the age isn't major, but preferable.... what you have to understand is i have just sold my supra:(:( need a car but still want something that doesnt look hideous.... i know i am prob asking alot cos budget is tight, and want something thats totally cheap on everything to run and still look decent:search:

I guess the age isn't major, but preferable.... what you have to understand is i have just sold my supra:(:( need a car but still want something that doesnt look hideous.... i know i am prob asking alot cos budget is tight, and want something thats totally cheap on everything to run and still look decent:search:

Then I'd say buy a VW Golf 1.8T/2.0T GTI that's 2001/2002 plate.

Easily modifiable, you need 2 zener diodes (£2 off eBay) to be able to fool the MAP and you can up the boost from I think 8psi to 17psi safely - way above stock. Can even just install a switch to run 8/11/17psi.

http://eurowerks.org/showthread.php?t=6045

(this mod just stops the ECU going into limp home mode, you can run 17PSI without but sometimes it'll force you into limp home)

They don't look dated and are reliable and have plenty of spares as well as relatively cheap mods. Silver or black I think they look awesome with black wheels.

I think they're so good I have first dibbs on my friend's VW if he comes to sell it as a cheap runaround. 4 doors and plenty of space and VW reliability. What's not to like?