The mkiv Supra Owners Club

which valves

supradibbs

To be honest there are dozens of places that can do the machining and fit over sized valves, but anywhere good will be costly as it's a time consuming job. More than 1 mm oversize, assuming they'll go in at all, you'll be looking at new seats, which will be VERY expensive. Unless you are building something really trick with a desire to pull huge amounts of power from it, you'll be better served spending the money elsewhere.

Steel valves and retainers at the sort of size you can fit in a MKIV head are more than adequate for any RPM even a steel short stroke bottom end can survive. Titanium is something you DO NOT want unless the RPM ceiling means steel valves are no longer an option. Titaniom is funny stuff, valves need lifing, they just suddenly fail, they don't stretch, and the retainers don't crack. They just go BANG!!! Spend the money on good valve springs. The best ones usually come from Germany or Japan, not the USA ;)

Steel valves and retainers at the sort of size you can fit in a MKIV head are more than adequate for any RPM even a steel short stroke bottom end can survive. Titanium is something you DO NOT want unless the RPM ceiling means steel valves are no longer an option. Titaniom is funny stuff, valves need lifing, they just suddenly fail, they don't stretch, and the retainers don't crack. They just go BANG!!! Spend the money on good valve springs. The best ones usually come from Germany or Japan, not the USA ;)

Is that from experience Chris, or just best practice as a rule of thumb??

I have experience of how Ti valves fail, yes, as do most race engine builders.They are just totally OTT for the application, you are wasting money on something that's not only unnecessary, but potentially less reliable than a cheaper option. They'll probably poor quality anyway, decent race spec Ti valves are serious, serious money. So are decent race quality springs, as my bank account knows only too well this month :(

Honestly, there is zero need. After market Ti rods, Ti retainers, Ti valves, they all need lifing. I have Ti rods in this Mugen, and they crack test and size up perfectly. I know they are well over their 36 hour life though, so even at 4500 quid for an "old stock" new set the thing's having them. It would be sheer madness to run them longer. OK, some road car engines have Ti valves, like the Toyota 4 pot Altezza BEAMS engine, but they use them to reduce friction by running a very light valve spring and small cam buckets. Steel valves with steel retainers are what you want. The question you SHOULD be asking are are after market steel valves one piece, or welded? You want one piece valves in a high performance engine. Many are not!

Are stock MKIV TT exhaust valves sodium filled? I have never cut one open to check, but suspect they will be, as Skyline ones definitely are. That's why people make aftermarket stuff that sounds great, has an appealing price tag, but is often very inferior to OE stuff. I am buying stainless braided hose and hose fittings for my Skyline fuel system. Ebay throws up fittings at near 1/2 the price of Speedflow. They LOOK the same, exactly the same, but they aren't. The hose has only an outer stainless braid, of very fine wire. the inner braid is part galvanised steel and part (and you can be damned sure, a tiny part, stainless. the fittings have no material spec, and the anodising is so thin as to be a joke. Faye at Speedflow sells a decent spec at a fair price, and even a budget build would be well served using less. Genuine XRP and Aeroquip is more expensive still, but still better specced. You need to ask the right questions, especially with things as stressed as valve springs, probably the most highly loaded parts in a high(ish) RPM engine. Heard of a stock spring breaking, even at mega mileages? No, neither have I ;)

Are stock MKIV TT exhaust valves sodium filled? I have never cut one open to check, but suspect they will be, as Skyline ones definitely are.

If MG managed to suss out the cooling properties of sodium filled valves in their turbo A series'd Metro then I'd hope Toyota would be at least on a par! :)

p.s. I haven't forgotten about suspension kit...I'm just getting the single kit installed first so I'll be in touch once I have the car back on the road.