The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fancy doing this one day. Kayaking in Venice!

RedM

RUN AWAY!!

The water quality around Venice is shocking, poo floating through the water, rubbish piled up in corners. If you fell out of the canoe you would be swimming about in sewage which is not a nice way to go.

I would do a search for info about the water quality before signing up.

It does seem like a great way to see Venice, but one I wouldnt fancy trying.

Infact I stumbled across this from their own site

http://www.venicekayak.com/environmental-issues/

and thats on a site selling canoe trips round Venice.

RUN AWAY!!

The water quality around Venice is shocking, poo floating through the water, rubbish piled up in corners. If you fell out of the canoe you would be swimming about in sewage which is not a nice way to go.

That's pretty much what I'd heard as well, JB.

Nice idea, but sod that if the water is indeed that bad :blink:

RUN AWAY!!

Lots of people told us this before we went (3 years ago), and that it stank, particularly when it was hot.

We were there for the hottest days of the year and it didn't smell, nor did we see any floating poo or sewage. A lot of it seems to be rumour.

I loved the place, but it's only a place to visit for a short break IMO, you'd run out of things to see after a few days (we went for three, but would have been nice to have had a couple more days to visit the Lido, more islands etc.).

I have to agree with Thorin, I have been twice in the last 2 years. The most recent was in July/August this year to join a cruise ship, the last day we spent walking around and it was very hot. No smelly water or floaters that I could see, only thing I noticed was rotting food smells in the alleys near to resturants. A trip on the water bus out to Burano and Murano was great, both like a miniature Venice only cleaner. :)

RUN AWAY!!

I would do a search for info about the water quality before signing up.

It does seem like a great way to see Venice, but one I wouldnt fancy trying.

Infact I stumbled across this from their own site

http://www.venicekayak.com/environmental-issues/

and thats on a site selling canoe trips round Venice.

You'd get squashed by all the water taxis bombing about. No thanks.

Venice is a great place to visit in the Winter if you don't like tourists and smelly water. :)

Very very nice idea but because of the reasons above, I'm out

We drove down to Venice a couple of weeks back.

It was about 80 degC when we were there. Only the occasional mild smell like drains, really. However, there is a fair amount of rubbish in the water and I can't imagine the water taxi's & Gondolas being overly patient with a Kayak.

IMHO it was a nice place to visit for a day, but I wouldn't want to stay IN Venice or to go there for a week.

BEWARE - don't stop for a drink in St Marks Square - especially the places with the string quartets playing - coffee is about 7 euros a cup and there is a surcharge of 6 Euros PER PERSON for the music being played! 4 of us sat down for coffee, but Angie spotted the surcharge in the small print on the menu and we quickly left and went elsewhere - 52 Euros for 4 coffees sounded a bit steep to us!

BEWARE - don't stop for a drink in St Marks Square - especially the places with the string quartets playing - coffee is about 7 euros a cup and there is a surcharge of 6 Euros PER PERSON for the music being played! 4 of us sat down for coffee, but Angie spotted the surcharge in the small print on the menu and we quickly left and went elsewhere - 52 Euros for 4 coffees sounded a bit steep to us!

Venice is the most expensive place in Italy, St Mark's square is the most expensive place in Venice. Things get cheaper the further out you go. However, there are a couple of cafe's that are open until the small hours just off St Mark's square that sell bottles.

Great fun sat drinking in the square with the two bands playing off against each other.