The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spy Shots New Twin Turbo BMW M5 (F10)

JamieP

Thanks to our "send a tip" function a WCF user has sent us this awesome video of the next-generation BMW M5 in camouflage. Internally codenamed the F10, this car will mark a seismic shift in philosophy for the Bavarian marque as it employs turbo technology in an M sedan.

Partly shot at the Nurburgring the clip takes us through just under four minutes of footage. At 00:59 you'll seen a Nissan GT-R seemingly chasing the M5. What a future battle that will be for motoring media. At several points in the video, particularly at 3:17, the turbos can be heard spooling up and pitching quite high.

BMW begins selling the new 5 Series globally in 2010 and the M5 should follow around a year later. It is thought that BMW's 4.4-litre twin turbo machine will also do duty for the bahnstomer but instead of 300kW (408hp) or 408kW (555hp) it will produce something close to 430kW (585hp).

Speculation is that an 8-speed sequential transmission will send all power to the rear wheels with the assistance of an electronic differential. To improve driving dynamics and fuel efficiency, weight will be kept as low as possible using sophisticated light body construction materials.

http://img.worldcarfans.com/2009/9/large/7398492.jpg

http://img.worldcarfans.com/2009/9/large/3184716.jpg

http://img.worldcarfans.com/2009/9/large/4195074.jpg

http://img.worldcarfans.com/2009/9/large/8254659.jpg

I have always liked BMWs and bought a 6 month old E34 M5 3.8 some years ago. As a proper involving tool they work well but the engines, for me, have always lacked outright torque. This has helped make them easy to drive hard and keep them all spinning high up in the rev range just like a real track tool but on the open road at low revs they have always lacked that grunt.

Its no suprise as now with the power levels being produced, its essential for manufacturers to use Super chargers and Turbo systems.

I'm kind of sad to see the S85 V10 being dropped, it played a lovely tune when you got it on song. It will however be nice to hear the V8 growl back in the M5 with this new S63 V8, while making it easier for tuners to get their teeth stuck into.:cool:

Seems to be a lot of BMW related threads popping up on here of late

Bobbeh, I'm not quite sure how Toyota faffing around with with the LF-A made M Division drop the the S85 V10 for the F10 M5. It's a different sector of the market for one. I would assume that emissions and being able to get more power out of a smaller package would be contributing factors. Whatever it was it has made a very staunch company turn around its convictions on forced induction.

I'm with you on Toyota dragging their heels on the LF-A. It better be something VERY special if it's ever released to justify the price tag. The bar is being raised all the time and the climate for these sorts of cars is changing rapidly. It just feels like history repeating itself with Toyota. They haven't had anything exciting in their range for quite some time so it's going to be quite a task to get the general public to relate sportiness to Toyota again. I can see why the LF-A is going to have a Lexus badge on the front.:)

I was just commenting about the rise in BMW threads, not about the engine choice :)

Might just be a cost issue, and they probably can keep making the V8s as the M3 is more popular. Emissions too.

Yes.. sorry I meant Toyota/Lexus same to me, but the sporty side of Toyota has gone into the Lexus brand.

Depends on how good the car is, 225mph will get a lot heads turning and if its reliable too, could be onto a winner. Plus the car will probably be as rare or rarer than a lot of its counterparts. Only thing missing is the racing history etc... which may explain why they're still waiting for Toyota F1 to win a race :D