The mkiv Supra Owners Club

new games console

drift_bear

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you have a specific need for Blu-ray, I'd say pick the one which has the most exclusive titles you want for it.

If I had to choose it would be the Xbox 360 as I am interested in more of the Xbox 360 exlucsive titles such as Halo, Gears of War, and Microsoft seem to just gain more exclusive titles that sony. Also, although you have to pay for XBOX live (26 quid a year) I much prefer it over the PS3 online system.

Oh and one thing I HATE about the PS3 is the necessity to 'install' half of the games that you play on it! Such a mundane task belongs to the world of PC's! On XBOX, installing it is completely optional if you want the speed boost (and it's defo not slow) and disk drive silence.

Having said all this, one exclusive must have title and I ended up buying the PS3 as well. I couldn't pass up playing MGS 4 but haven't played on my PS3 since!

I could buy a cheap XBOX tommorow but after what i heard i didnt bother. Theres two guys at my work who had enough with xbox and their shit problems they have gone to ps3. Id stick with ps3 i love mine no problems in nearly 3 years even after playing over 10hours non stop

People who can't afford, or aren't allowed to buy (under strict orders from she who must be obayed), superior items often bitch about them :innocent:

With my wealth of experience, and in my considered opinion I would say PS3 sucks ass, and the only people adverse to XBox are the kinds of people who don't know, or don't understand gaming.

Generally people went for 'the expensive one' because they believed it would give them a better experience found themselves playing COD4 for 10 years, as there were no games available, and now find themselves justifying their ill advised purchase either with the 'XBox owner can't afford' line, or the 'red ring of death' comment.

PS3 is crap, don't buy it. That's it.

I've been through two PS3's and only one XBox. You do the math.

(this now makes quite a worthy alternative to the NA vs. TT debate :D)

Here we go again........... PS3s break down, 'Yellow light of death' Hmmmm. I just sold my PS3 cos I never used it.

Get a 360, cheaper, better choice of games, far better online experience ( for 11p a day) much easier to use, reliable now theyve sorted the X clamp and you get 3 years warrantee. Dont get that on the PS3

i really think that those who reccomend a ps3 are either "PS only" people or havent tried a 360.

the 360 is in another league for what it offers in terms of variety of games and developed/refined online play. I think the ps3 is great and blue ray etc make it a great buy but never instead of an xbox. many of my mates ps3's gathered dust whilst they waited for mythical creatures like GT5 to emerge... they have all now bought and xbox and never looked back. A great console is nothing without anything good to play on it.

forza 3 is coming out and some titles like gears of war and halo can be played for quite literally years without getting bored :D

xbox all the way or both bud :D

i really think that those who reccomend a ps3 are either "PS only" people or havent tried a 360.

Probably have to agree with this.

All the hardcore gamers that I know that ended up with both (probably about 7 or 8 different people) ALL prefer the X-Box. Even the couple of them that have been through 2 (one of them onto his 3rd) say that the superior games make up for the inferior reliability.

However - that is "at the moment" - as has been mentioned, it's more about the games than the machine itself - for gaming, the machines are so similar in their technical capabilities that it doesn't matter a damn, so whilst the X-Box seems better now, that's not to say a big flood of PS3 games in the future won't change things.

I couldnt agree more bud. Im not an "xboxer" the same as im not mad into one type of car and instead a petrolhead loving all sorts. I think this gives me the ability to reccomend without bias :p

I think the ps3 has huge potential but im quite literally astonished that its not being taken advantage of. The Xbox is the next gen console of the moment for sure. As said - get both if you can...nothing wrong with being greedy lol :D

went and got myself an xbox 360 elite, came with the new halo game and saints of rainbow 2 free.

bought a few other games at the same time, need for speed shift, call of duty 4 and the sega megadrive pack (got all the classic games such as sonic and streets of rage!!)

so far fairly chuffed with it!! havnt stopped playin it since gettin it!!

need for speed shift is a good game, reminds me alot of gran turismo.

cant stop playin cod 4 though! addicted already thanks to my mate playing it all the time. (went for the old c.o.d cause thats the same as my mate has, so can play him online!)

My story...

I bought my first 360 a couple of years ago, I was into my PC games back then (On a mediocre PC), but one go on a friends 360 on Gears of War, and Forza 2 was all it took to convince me, the next day I'd bought my XBox with no hesitation.

I've been gaming since 1983 (When I was 6 :D) so have experienced many of the 'WOW's' through the years, but the 360 gave me a massive buzz that I hadn't felt for years (No, not in my pants), so much so that I ended up transforming my flat with a 46" 1080p TV, £700 worth of home cinema kit, even new sofas so I was even more comfortable playing on it, things I wouldn't have even thought about buying before... (Like 'ambient' lighting so I could have the lights off and still see the ashtray whilst having the nice big screen shining in the dark :))

Games like Forza 2, GTA IV, Fable 2, and Fallout 3 kept me entertained week in, week out, in a good way though, now with the kind of obsession that World of Warcraft has...

I loved the media streaming features too, so much so I bought another TV (40" 720p Samsung), for the bedroom, and my 2nd 360, an Elite, so I put my original in the bedroom...

Both 360's have served me faultlessly, apart from one occassion (See below), despite many, many, many hours of use, gaming, streaming, there's been no issues...

But I thought a couple of months ago, as I've got this great cinema setup in the lounge, how about getting into some HD content for films? (I can't have a Sat dish so no Sky or FreeSat and I don't live in a cable area :()... So I bought a PS3...

And that's where the hassles started... :(

Firstly, and most annoyingly, it won't play sound through the optical output... Sony has said it's an issue with my amp (I've tried the 'Bitstream' configuration fix), and I've also tried 3 different amps (My sisters fiance works at Comet :))

Secondly, it doesn't like playing normal DVD's, at about 15 minute intervals, they skip, and slow, Sony has blamed this on scratched disks... It's odd how they play fine in anything else I put them in, and as a bit of an an@l DVD collector, I treat my disks with care...

Thirdly, I just don't seem to enjoy playing it as much as the 360... Admittedly I ended up with Saints Row 2, which is just c0ck, but I also have Infamous, which was fun for about an hour, and Little Big Planet that I thought could be a giggle when drunk, but winding people up in the Internet when drunk's more of a laugh...

The only issue I've had with the 360 is my recent RROD... It's happened to my original unit, and yes, I have another one, however, that box has had way too many hours of gaming time that I'd like to admit to, and a simple bit of form filling on the MS website has ended up with me getting it all sorted, for free... Not like the issues I have with the PS3, with Sony (And Currys where I bought it) that are still ongoing and I've had since new...

The only benefit i see that the xbox has over the PS3 is that it can be "chipped".

On its own the PS3 is a far superior machine. Other than Forza 3 there is not 1 single game exclusive to the 360 that would make me rise an eyebrow. However, i am not much of a gamer. I just like taking an hour or 2 to myself to relax every couple of days..... then i play some games (thought i would get in there first ;) ).

For

Far superior media support for streaming

Free Online Gaming

Bluray Player

Better looking

1080p Support out of the box

0.6% failure rate

Has a better potential future (if developers would care to start taking advantage.

Against

Online isn't as good as the 360 regardless of cost

Early titles aren't very well put together due to teething with the developers

Its more expensive

360 owners will bitch constantly that its an inferior console

My bro in law has both. I don't know which he prefer's but i'll ask him. I have played a few 360's but i just don't see what the hype is about.

Pot, you have just been unlucky mate. Stick by your guns. Tell them you bought a new DVD and it has the same trouble. At the end of the day its only going to get worse, not better. I've not had to deal with the Sony customer service yet but its not looking promising.