The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bosch 044 fuel pump bhp limit?

JamieP

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jamie,

don't know if you can use this comment I found in the AEM User guide.

"Calculating the total fuel requirement of an engine requires simple equations that are

outlined in the following section. You must know how much power the engine is

anticipated to make. The fuel requirement will be determined in pounds per hour of

fuel flow. Since most pumps are rated in gallons/hour, the weight of the fuel/gallon

being used must be determined. The vast majority of gasoline based fuels run at

7.25 lbs/gallon. With fuel pump sizing, always use a safety margin greater than 20%.

The equations to determine the fuel requirement is as follows:

· (Power x BSFC) x (1 + Safety Margin) = Pounds/Hour

· Pounds/Hour / 7.25 = Gallons/Hour.

An example of this equation is:

· 500 hp gasoline engine using moderate boost with a 30% safety margin

· (500 x 0.625) x 1.30 = 406.25 lbs/hr

· 406 lbs/7.25 = 56 gallons/hour

· If the pump that is being considered is rated in liters per hour, use the

conversion factor of 3.785 liters/gallon. The pump described above

would be rated at 56 gallons x 3.785 liters = 211.96 liters/hour."

Cheers

Luc

Hi Jamie,

don't know if you can use this comment I found in the AEM User guide.

"Calculating the total fuel requirement of an engine requires simple equations that are

outlined in the following section. You must know how much power the engine is

anticipated to make. The fuel requirement will be determined in pounds per hour of

fuel flow. Since most pumps are rated in gallons/hour, the weight of the fuel/gallon

being used must be determined. The vast majority of gasoline based fuels run at

7.25 lbs/gallon. With fuel pump sizing, always use a safety margin greater than 20%.

The equations to determine the fuel requirement is as follows:

· (Power x BSFC) x (1 + Safety Margin) = Pounds/Hour

· Pounds/Hour / 7.25 = Gallons/Hour.

An example of this equation is:

· 500 hp gasoline engine using moderate boost with a 30% safety margin

· (500 x 0.625) x 1.30 = 406.25 lbs/hr

· 406 lbs/7.25 = 56 gallons/hour

· If the pump that is being considered is rated in liters per hour, use the

conversion factor of 3.785 liters/gallon. The pump described above

would be rated at 56 gallons x 3.785 liters = 211.96 liters/hour."

Cheers

Luc

Nice to know :thumbs:

100% in agreement with that statement. My Bosch fuel system makes the car sound as if there's a small powerstation running in the boot:cool:

Is yours in or out of the tank mate? my 044 is silent, cant hear a thing from it, i wonder if the people that complain they are noisy have mounted them to low in the tank and they are touching the bottom.

Is yours in or out of the tank mate? my 044 is silent, cant hear a thing from it, i wonder if the people that complain they are noisy have mounted them to low in the tank and they are touching the bottom.

Inside mate and apparently there are two of them - I'll be cracking the tank open when I get back to check a few things out for myself;)

• 4 weeks later...

is the bosch 044 pump the same as the stock tt supra pump? If it is, this a better pump than the walbro. The walbro is rated at 255lph and the supra at 280lph. I used to have a walbro and traded it for the supra stock pump on my rx7. my duties cycle lower very much. Also walbros (specially those bought on ebay) have been known to burn out.

the bosch pump with a rewired job should be good up to 500whp. After than i would add another stock pump.

I have now pretty much finished the fuel system on the Skyline GTS and I went twin external 044 pumps, fed from a Walbro in tank pump via a home made swirl pot. I have left the one way valves in the 044 pump outlets, and will have a manual switch to run one pump when on road, and two pumps on track. 044 pumps mounted under the car in an isolated cradle off a none resonating part of the body shell should be almost silent.

I have made 4 alloy tank top inserts so I have an unobstructed metal surface to drill for hose bulkhead connectors to and from the tank, and have sold 2 to Skyline people already. They have a very similar set up to the MKIV. It's far better than messing with inadequate moulded plugs and sockets on the stock tamp top, and trying to feed decent sized fuel lines through the plastic.

There are few genuine 600 flywheel HP Skylines running a single 044 successfully.

so what is the best option then to go for

I run a single Bosch 044 in tank with the return valve removed.

I am planning on running new wiring to the pump when I swap my injectors and rail as I am going to up the fuel pressure which will pull more current.

I run a single Bosch 044 in tank with the return valve removed.

I am planning on running new wiring to the pump when I swap my injectors and rail as I am going to up the fuel pressure which will pull more current.

What pressure are you planning to run Wes? I was thinking about 4bar static but I wanted to check with Jens if there was a preferred range for the injectors to work over before I decide.

What pressure are you planning to run Wes? I was thinking about 4bar static but I wanted to check with Jens if there was a preferred range for the injectors to work over before I decide.

Same, 4bar was my intention, looking around at info available the 044 seems to like running at higher pressures which is where it out performs other smaller units.

Was advised to remove it as its a flow restriction.

Yeah, but as yours is a race car you're not going to mind an extra bit of cranking to build up fuel pressure after it's all drained back into the tank overnight.

Those of us with more 'sofistikated' (sic) tastes might prefer a quicker start. ;)

I have kept mine as I want to run one pump until the thing is opened up on track. One may well be sufficient, two give some back up if one fails. All road car set ups use a none return valve for vapour lock reasons and a fast start after a period of lay up.

That might explain why mine takes a little while to start up.

That might explain why mine takes a little while to start up.

Its because you run a Solaris which waits for 2 crank rotations before firing to ensure all the sensors are working correctly and if used with an oil pressure sensor it will wait to it see's oil pressure before firing.

Ryan

Its because you run a Solaris which waits for 2 crank rotations before firing to ensure all the sensors are working correctly and if used with an oil pressure sensor it will wait to it see's oil pressure before firing.

Ryan

Does that use a stock oil pressure sensor Ryan or something aftermarket?