The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bosch 044 fuel pump bhp limit?

JamieP

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next year I'm going to start a 3.4 built engine for the car hopefully. I'm just on pricing parts at the moment.

Thumbs up for this!

Probably using HKS kit?

Is there any vids of this car? Like to watch powerful supras :)

Thumbs up for this!

Probably using HKS kit?

Is there any vids of this car? Like to watch powerful supras :)

I'm going to build the kit with individual parts. I don't want to just go for a full kit. I'll build it over the space of a year or so.

Think there's a Dyno vid in my project thread. I'll dig it out.

I currently have a single Bosch 044 pump mounted in the tank. Seeing as i'm intending on getting 800 bhp I was going to put another pump in and then run -8AN lines. Has anyone got a picture of a twin pump setup? Or even better a guide to building one?

Just leave the 1 pump in. Myself and Jamie have made that power and more on a single pump.

Not really sure I follow you? His calculation of 360hp N/A is based on 914hp minus what he thinks a turbo at 1.5bar would be able to add to the power. That would tell me that he is saying at 1.5bar the power increase due to the boost would be 554hp. The 554hp figure is always going to vary massively with how efficient the turbo is at 1.5bar.

As I said, at 1.5bar with UK turbos I think the power increase is 250hp (I remember reading the power rating of the TT running in N/A would be around 180 and I took 430 as the going max rate for those tubbys). Clearly the difference in the figures is down to the efficiency of the turbo as nothing else has changed with regards to the flow creation.

Hmm i actually gave this abit more of a thought as i did not really think trough my first respond. if you have lets say for the ez 300 N/A HP with a turbo flowing good at 1 bar you would get around 600hp adding another 0.5bar would add somthing in the near 150hp. So to get to 914hp at 1.5 bar you would need to have a n/a engine provideing around 360hp. with modern turbo chargers some are even more effective then 100% but not 150% more effective.

the bigger the turbo the more air it pumps however you need pressure for the delivery. however the flow does not really affect if you allready have the plenum toped off and the air temps at a good temp (not going outside the turbo compressor map over reving the turbo=hotter air/less effective) you would actually need boost to push more air in via the valve.

Hmm this is just my thought but feel free to enlighten me if iam totally wrong :)

Hmm i actually gave this abit more of a thought as i did not really think trough my first respond. if you have lets say for the ez 300 N/A HP with a turbo flowing good at 1 bar you would get around 600hp adding another 0.5bar would add somthing in the near 150hp. So to get to 914hp at 1.5 bar you would need to have a n/a engine provideing around 360hp. with modern turbo chargers some are even more effective then 100% but not 150% more effective.

the bigger the turbo the more air it pumps however you need pressure for the delivery. however the flow does not really affect if you allready have the plenum toped off and the air temps at a good temp (not going outside the turbo compressor map over reving the turbo=hotter air/less effective) you would actually need boost to push more air in via the valve.

Hmm this is just my thought but feel free to enlighten me if iam totally wrong :)

I'm totally lost here on how your getting these figures. Where do you get the 600hp at 1bar from. Do you have a formula to work this out. Not questioning you I'm just interested in how you came by these numbers.

I currently have a single Bosch 044 pump mounted in the tank. Seeing as i'm intending on getting 800 bhp I was going to put another pump in and then run -8AN lines. Has anyone got a picture of a twin pump setup? Or even better a guide to building one?

Depends on what dyno you want your 800bhp, going for 800bhp or there abouts a twin pump setup is worth going with imo, with any twin pump setup its also worth wiring in a fuel pressure sensor and linking to the ecu incase a pump fails, infact i think its worth doing on any high output car with single or twin pumps, you cant have to many saftey features.

My staged twin 044 in tank setup.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Adding 1bar of boost=100% increese in power (+-) obviously this depends on various bits such as intake temp, the compressor map not beeing overrun and that you can always topp of the plenum.(=flow)

getting better flow is also increasing the N/A power. your engine would need pretty much to push out about 120hp/liter as N/A and that is alot especially when you have low compression.

Depends on what dyno you want your 800bhp, going for 800bhp or there abouts a twin pump setup is worth going with imo, with any twin pump setup its also worth wiring in a fuel pressure sensor and linking to the ecu incase a pump fails, infact i think its worth doing on any high output car with single or twin pumps, you cant have to many saftey features.

My staged twin 044 in tank setup.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/jamie450x/5022093c.jpg

Jamie, what size feed lines are you running on this setup ???

Adding 1bar of boost=100% increese in power (+-) obviously this depends on various bits such as intake temp, the compressor map not beeing overrun and that you can always topp of the plenum.(=flow)

getting better flow is also increasing the N/A power. your engine would need pretty much to push out about 120hp/liter as N/A and that is alot especially when you have low compression.

If it helps explain, in RWHP my Dyno plot gives me the following:-

At 4000 rpm I'm producing 150 RWHP

At 5500 rpm I'm producing 650 RWHP

At 6993 rpm I'm producing 778 RWHP which equates to 914 BHP if you add 17% for transfer from flywheel to hubs.

Your assumption is wrong. With that logic you could push the 900s with twin Hybrids at 1.5bar or would have to go over 3bar for that kind of figures. :D

Power depends on the Volume of Air and Fuel that gets into the cylinder. A smaller Turbo pushing 1.5bar makes less power than a bigger at the same Pressure. That's because the bigger Turbo flows more Air with the same pressure. ;)

RPM dont really have alot to do with it. ill try to explain. the flow= amount of air pumped by the turbo and the amount it is compressed. if you where to add bigger valves,higher lifing cams porting the head to maximize flow it would also increase the N/A hp Gahh its hard to explain when iam not 100% confident in english..

there are some magic numbers or where more.. and that is getting 100hp/L engine volume. so getting 360hp from a 3L engine would be really really good. BMW s50b32 is a 3.2 liter engine and it produced 321bhp and that was really impressive at that point. a new modern turbo could reach beyond 100% maybe 105% but more is not really likely.

Your assumption is wrong. With that logic you could push the 900s with twin Hybrids at 1.5bar or would have to go over 3bar for that kind of figures. :D

Power depends on the Volume of Air and Fuel that gets into the cylinder. A smaller Turbo pushing 1.5bar makes less power than a bigger at the same Pressure. That's because the bigger Turbo flows more Air with the same pressure. ;)

flow is noting without pressure.

with you asumptions a 200mm turbo would produce 1000hp at 0.1bar.

Edited by Hellstrom (see edit history)

nice setup jamie.

first time i saw that dyno run of yours john, that turbo sounds sweet... are your BOV's noisy?

Yeah pretty noisy mate. You can't really hear them from behind the car when I did the video but when it's on the road with the roof off it sounds like a couple of shotguns. There's a very slight time delay between the 2 were only talking maybe half a second but sounds great.

Flow is the volume of the air, but the volume of the air isn't as important as the density of that air is. The more air molecules the more fuel molecules can be mixed into the charge and the bigger the bang you get. At the exact same boost pressure you can have MASSIVELY different charges. A very easy example is a set of stock tubbys running at 1.5bar vs something like a GT45 running 1.5bar

Feel like we're going round in circles here.

RPM dont really have alot to do with it. ill try to explain. the flow= amount of air pumped by the turbo and the amount it is compressed. if you where to add bigger valves,higher lifing cams porting the head to maximize flow it would also increase the N/A hp Gahh its hard to explain when iam not 100% confident in english..

there are some magic numbers or where more.. and that is getting 100hp/L engine volume. so getting 360hp from a 3L engine would be really really good. BMW s50b32 is a 3.2 liter engine and it produced 321bhp and that was really impressive at that point. a new modern turbo could reach beyond 100% maybe 105% but more is not really likely.

But this isn't a BMW, it's a Toyota Supra and that speaks for itself.

Density is getting the air cold, that is done via an intercooler. when compressing air it also produce heat, heat makes the air get less density. afaik there is not other way of getting higher air density then getting it colder. now we are talking about turbo and how effective the turbo is. obviously you need pressure to stuff the Air in to the cylinders. the higher the pressure the more air gets in. a bigger turbo can maintain flow and not heating up the air more then nessesary. however its still the pressure thats push the air into the cylinders. more pressure more air.

its abit hard to explain but afaik addin 1bar of boost can never really produce more then 100% more power (yeah like ive said new turbos are incredible good and might actually get 102-105% of power) iam not saying that a small turbo will produce equally as a big one at the same pressure iam just saying that adding 1bar of boost will not make your eninge more then ca 100% more effective in the best of worlds that is obviosly. some energy will get drained due to heat.

Edited by Hellstrom (see edit history)