The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bosch 044 fuel pump bhp limit?

JamieP

Its because you run a Solaris which waits for 2 crank rotations before firing to ensure all the sensors are working correctly and if used with an oil pressure sensor it will wait to it see's oil pressure before firing.

Ryan

Ah, I see. Nice feature in that case ;)

I bought a custom one way valve that allows the use of an AN/JIC fitting in the tank.

I'll get a few pics up in my project thread when I get a few mins.

Would it be worth me getting one of these anyway?

Does that use a stock oil pressure sensor Ryan or something aftermarket?

:yeahthat: Would it be a good idea for me to get an oil pressure sensor?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Just thought I'd bump this thread. There hasn't been a definitive answer about this.

Just for reference I've just made 914 flywheel horsepower on a single Bosch 044 at Advanced Motorsports hub Dyno. Ryan fitted a bigger relay and larger power and earth cables to the pump wiring, but that's it. It was totally maxed out at this power though, and just over 6k rpm it began to lean off slightly to 12.1 AFRs so the boost was backed off 0.1 bar to keep it a flat 11.

Edited by hodge (see edit history)

Just thought I'd bump this thread. There hasn't been a definitive answer about this.

Just for reference I've just made 914 flywheel horsepower on a single Bosch 044 at Advanced Motorsports hub Dyno. Ryan fitted a bigger relay and larger power and earth cables to the pump wiring, but that's it. It was totally maxed out at this power though, and just over 6k rpm it began to lean off slightly to 12.1 AFRs so the boost was backed off 0.1 bar to keep it a flat 11.

Nice one John, about time someone found the limit. What boost did you make that power at?

that is very odd i dont understand how it can make that power on 1 pump asaik the pump physically cant move enough fuel, they only ever seem to make around 550 - 600 hp on a cosworth when theyve maxed out and a second pump is needed ?

i run 2 walbros and as soon as it saw boost on the dyno on 1 pump it went instantly lean.

With BMW engine around ~560hp (with E98 octane gasoline) is max power you can take from flywheel with 10an fuel lines and after that it starts to go lean. Over 600hp is just imagination with one pump in long run.

I have two -044 pumps to secure ~800hp power.

that is very odd i dont understand how it can make that power on 1 pump asaik the pump physically cant move enough fuel, they only ever seem to make around 550 - 600 hp on a cosworth when theyve maxed out and a second pump is needed ?

i run 2 walbros and as soon as it saw boost on the dyno on 1 pump it went instantly lean.

I'm thinking it also has to do with the fuel line capacity also. I'm running a -8 line splitting into 2 x -6 to rail.

The AFRs were perfect 11.0 at 1.5 bar of boost until just over 6000 rpm then leaned off a little to 12.1.

I'm sure Jamie also made around the 800hp mark on a single pump.

That much power (914hp) at only 1.5bar means your engine must deliver aprox. 360hp with zero boost. Or you have broken laws of physics.

What are your engine specs?

How do you figure that one? The density of the air has a massive influence on the power a car makes. If the turbo is large (which John's is) then the efficiency at 1.5bar will mean far cooler air than a smaller turbo will be putting through.

Hybrid UK tubbys can be set to 1.5bar and they won't be pushing anywhere near 500hp let alone 900hp.

Couple into that a higher flowing intake and large intercooler pipes etc and the 1.5bar will mean a far greater rate of flow than with other setups.

How do you figure that one? The density of the air has a massive influence on the power a car makes. If the turbo is large (which John's is) then the efficiency at 1.5bar will mean far cooler air than a smaller turbo will be putting through.

Hybrid UK tubbys can be set to 1.5bar and they won't be pushing anywhere near 500hp let alone 900hp.

Couple into that a higher flowing intake and large intercooler pipes etc and the 1.5bar will mean a far greater rate of flow than with other setups.

that is very true, the power isnt linear neither as a percentage, it decreases as boost and heat increases normally.

i just dont understand how the pump is pushing that much fuel ?

That is true, that's why asked him the engine specs.

But when you have build more than 1 turbo car and run different cars in dyno several times with different engines you get "touch" that you can calculate horsepowers in different boosts (and this is point where all matters cams, turbo, injectors, compression ratio, engine management + setup etc.) And yes, size of the turbo matters also when pushing more boost. Little turbo chokes in exhaust pressure when bigger turbo pushes more and more power when boost raises. But bigger turbo don't always mean that you get more horse power than little one (example holset hx55 and hx60) at same pressure, efficiency is what counts.

And different dynos also gives different results.

Edited by Soiled (see edit history)

That much power (914hp) at only 1.5bar means your engine must deliver aprox. 360hp with zero boost. Or you have broken laws of physics.

What are your engine specs?

Ingeneral bigger turbo more flow/pressure. Bigger turbo more lagg as the energy for pushing more flow needs more energy

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=57.678318,11.940217

He didn't mention turbos Scott so any points about efficiency and temp are irrelevant compared to "the 360hp NA".

That is true, that's why asked him the engine specs.

But when you have build more than 1 turbo car and run different cars in dyno several times with different engines you get "touch" that you can calculate horsepowers in different boosts (and this is point where all matters cams, turbo, injectors, compression ratio, engine management + setup etc.) And yes, size of the turbo matters also when pushing more boost. Little turbo chokes in exhaust pressure when bigger turbo pushes more and more power when boost raises. But bigger turbo don't always mean that you get more horse power than little one (example holset hx55 and hx60) at same pressure, efficiency is what counts.

And different dynos also gives different results.

I'm not really sure I follow you. Are you saying that the inlet temperature and air density at 1.5bar is the same on a HX55 and a HX60? To me that's impossible as the internals would have to be exactly the same dimensions & design in order to flow exactly the same density/temp air at the same pressure.

He has a build thread if you want to see the parts on the car, have a look through that and see what you think. Regardless there is no way that any lies are being told here.

He didn't mention turbos Scott so any points about efficiency and temp are irrelevant compared to "the 360hp NA".

Not really sure I follow you? His calculation of 360hp N/A is based on 914hp minus what he thinks a turbo at 1.5bar would be able to add to the power. That would tell me that he is saying at 1.5bar the power increase due to the boost would be 554hp. The 554hp figure is always going to vary massively with how efficient the turbo is at 1.5bar.

As I said, at 1.5bar with UK turbos I think the power increase is 250hp (I remember reading the power rating of the TT running in N/A would be around 180 and I took 430 as the going max rate for those tubbys). Clearly the difference in the figures is down to the efficiency of the turbo as nothing else has changed with regards to the flow creation.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

Owwwwwwkaaaayyyy

Engine spec is as follows

Engine spec:-

Stock Rods,

Stock pistons,

ARP main studs,

ARP rod bolts,

Titan crank dampner

ARP head studs,

ACL bearing,

PHR oil pump,

New Toyota water pump,

SBA-Tuning modified oilways

SBA-Tuning modified waterways,

SBA-Tuning Gas flowed head,

264 cams,

HKS cam pulleys,

Greddy aux pulleys

Power enterprise timing belt belt,

Gates blue Aux belt.

SBA-Tuning 25 row oil cooler

SBA-Tuning 10 row PAS cooler

A/C removed

SBA-Tuning modified alloy rad

PHR electric fan kit.

Greddy upper rad pipe

Stock lower rad pipe

SBA-Tuning big breather kit

Ogura Racing twin plate clutch and lightened flywheel

GT42-76 Garret precision Turbo

SBA-Tuning modified Whifbitz single wastegate manifold

Tial 44mm wastegate

SBA-Tuning custom 4" exhaust

SBA-Tuning modified Greddy 4 row IC with 4" end tanks

SBA-Tuning custom 4" IC pipework throughout.

Twin turbosmart raceport BOVs

Veilside plenum

Veilside throttle body

Veilside fuel rail

ID1000cc injectors

Aeromotive FPR

Single Bosch 044 pump

SBA-Tuning custom pump hanger

SBA-Tuning custom Teflon braided fuel system consisting of:-

-8AN feed

2 x -6AN to rail

-6AN return line

-6AN rail to FPR

Syvecs S6 ECU

Syvecs boost control solenoid

Syvecs knock detection

Syvecs oil temp sensor

Oh and it have a little wire tuck in the engine bay too.

This little lot was designed and built my me and mapped at Advanced Motorsport and engineering on aDyno Pack Hub Dyno By Ryan Griffiths at 2BarTuning.

Edited by hodge (see edit history)

Lets not argue dyno results anymore, nice car and nice power :) I have to test 2jz engine my self next summer so I can compare more :)

Man those stock parts are quite heavy shit to take that power without breaking! One reason more to love 2jzgte :)

What kind of ignition advance are you using in 1.5bar and what was the max. rpm? Will you go after 1000hp now? You should get that below 2bar boost when looking those numbers.

Lets not argue dyno results anymore, nice car and nice power :) I have to test 2jz engine my self next summer so I can compare more :)

Man those stock parts are quite heavy shit to take that power without breaking! One reason more to love 2jzgte :)

What kind of ignition advance are you using in 1.5bar and what was the max. rpm? Will you go after 1000hp now? You should get that below 2bar boost when looking those numbers.

The Rev limit is set to 7300. I can't comment on the ignition advance as that was all done by Ryan. I'm sure if he sees this he will post up the info for you.

Yeah when the bad weather comes in I'll be adding another pump and a few other relatively small mods and going for the big 1000hp eventhough I'm trying to convince myself not to. If my calculations are correct I'm only looking at 52 RWHP more to hit 1000 BHP is I'm hoping 1.7 maybe 1.8 bar will make it no sweat. Not bad for a guy in a little garage not much bigger than the car, with a torque wrench and full of hopes n dreams. Next year I'm going to start a 3.4 built engine for the car hopefully. I'm just on pricing parts at the moment.