The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why do the Japs love autos?

Conrad

I am just saying Toyota produce the amounts of autos to manuals in greater numbers because the main market in the world want auto. Its like this county, they have a quota of 1000 UK specs for example, and deliver 80% as auto for the quota to sell.

Plus lots of town/city driving people are gonna want easier to drive cars... as has been said before about the older generation (40+) are more likely to be the ones buying the car, persuded that the auto provides a smooth easy and fast drive - as it does.

I've had a number of Auto's in the past including and FTO, Porsche, Corvette, Mustangs etc. etc. and within 6 months I've been bored of them all.

Then I went looking for a Supra. The one I finally decided on buying was absolutely mint and I just couldn't leave it on the forecourt as I would have been hard pushed to find another in that sort of condition.....but it was an Auto too. I thought I'd forgive it that as it was in such great nick.

Now I'm on my 4th Supra Auto. We currently have a GZ Aerotop (which obviously HAD to be an auto), but also have a RZ hard-top auto. The money I've spent on Supras in the last few years could easily have seen me in a 6-sp. I might try one one day, but it will be a case of buying one to have alongside my GZ aerotop to see if I can live with it. I won't sell that one!

Just don't expect the Supra Auto to be like other autos. It's much better than that! :D

I am just saying Toyota produce the amounts of autos to manuals in greater numbers because the main market in the world want auto. Its like this county, they have a quota of 1000 UK specs for example, and deliver 80% as auto for the quota to sell.

Plus lots of town/city driving people are gonna want easier to drive cars... as has been said before about the older generation (40+) are more likely to be the ones buying the car, persuded that the auto provides a smooth easy and fast drive - as it does.

Oh great - so as well as being "transmissionist", "ageist" is now also thrown in for good measure.

Obviously anyone over 40 is incapable of counting to 6 or using their left leg....

They dont make the car to order, they look at the demographic based on the largest market on earth, the US and then distribute to the rest of the countries accordingly.

A car costing 40-50k is hardly gonna be driven on average by younger people, plus most Americans just want a sporty car to take them from one traffic light to the next.

A car costing 40-50k is hardly gonna be driven on average by younger people
Mind you, Supras in Japan were less than £25,000 (converting Yen to GB£) when production ceased in '02. ISTR they were a little over £18000 new in '93

(Slightly different arguement but still interesting I think)

It's all the bloody American's fault... let's blame them for everything why don't we.

Sorry m8 but I think your just assuming.

When a Japanese person or British person went to a car dealership to buy a brand new Supra don't you think they have it in thier mind what they wanted ? If they wanted a manual, they would have said so.

Or do you think the salesman says , Sorry mate all we have is Auto's we don't make cars to order.

I agree with you on the fact that most of the buyer's would have been older and that is the reasoning behind selecting the Auto box. Not the fact that the owner MIGHT be American.

When a Japanese person or British person went to a car dealership to buy a brand new Supra don't you think they have it in thier mind what they wanted ? If they wanted a manual, they would have said so.

Or do you think the salesman says , Sorry mate all we have is Auto's we don't make cars to order.

Maybe the car in the showroom was an auto, instead of ordering another one because they didn't want to wait they've just taken that.

I was very surprised to see how many auto's there are, must've been something to do with availability!

On most cars now you pay more for the auto, I wonder if this was the case with Supra?

It's all the bloody American's fault... let's blame them for everything why don't we.

Sorry m8 but I think your just assuming.

What so you think they have equal numbers of Getrag boxes and auto boxes sitting there waiting to be built depending on individual cusomters?

Think again.