The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VXR Astra Racing Edition - Opinions please :)

marbleapple

You don't want to go for the new shape type R when they are 2.5k more than the old shape was when it was new! you get zero increase in hp and a torsion bar instead of independant wishbone suspension, which gives better handling and loads more fun!

You could go for a late old shape and supercharge it gives you 300bhp and you have plenty of cash left in your pocket.( or for gf to put in her pocket lol ):D........Or is it a brand new car thats a must??

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think, surely that'd beat a VXR?

I have no idea mate. At a 2 litre Turbo (and I guess lighter than a TT) they aren't slow.

I will get a TT eventually I am sure but I think it will be in addition to another car, not as the sole car. Driving my N/A to work isn't practical (speed bumps, city parking, multi stories, petrol, noise) so I would hate to think what a TT would be like.

Crap. looks like every other car on the roads. BORING.

As above really. I agree that it doesn't have the same presence as the Supra but then it does have all leather, suspension which won't break your back and bluetooth hands free :D

You don't want to go for the new shape type R when they are 2.5k more than the old shape was when it was new! you get zero increase in hp and a torsion bar instead of independant wishbone suspension, which gives better handling and loads more fun!

Or is it a brand new car thats a must??

You basically summed up Clarkson's view on TopGear last night on Dave. (except it has a whole 1hp more)

Again the things Clarkson (and you) don't mention is that the new Civic is just a nicer car to drive. OK it's not as fast but then if I wanted to race I'd buy a race car. the new car just looks, feels and in my opinion drives better. It also has a hell of a lot more technology which makes it more useful as a driving car. For example cruise control etc

Or is it a brand new car thats a must??

It appeals.... 3 year PCP means that I get rid of any new car before it starts costing lots of pennies.

My money would be on the Focus ST. I just got an older shape focus and it really is a cracking drive. All it needs is a bit more grunt and stiffer suspension, exactly what the ST has. The new RS would be the ultimate goal but i think that would be too many pennies.

FWIW the VXR wouldn't get near a TT.

Guest EncoreWRC

I would never change my Supra for a Vauxhall...

I had a 300bhp Vectra GSI a few months ago.... killed Evo's from the Off and Scooby.... what scooby.. they were a spec in my mirror.... but...... I would never sell the Supra to by a Vauxall.. even if it was a Gold Plated VXR!!!

Yes they are quick, well trimmed, nice rides etc...... and all the new mod cons.. but how can you beat a Jap built car....... I worked 6 years in the motor trade, drove Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Scooby P1's and the first ever STI UK300, the list was endless... And Jap cars won over all others as a good all rounder! Thats not saying the others did not have their own little bits of magic!!!

If I had to sell the Supra..... I would go Ford RS all the way..... But I don't have to as the missus knows her place, and would never be having that arguement....

was the gsi charged? i know the vxr vectra maps with 400 ft/lb of torque which once rolling would reel in a 300bhp evo, but off the line is very dubious

the new focus RS is costing a lot of cash! if you buy a vxr and throw some cash at it then you would reach the same levels of performance as the RS. But i have to agree the RS is some piece of kit its just the price tag

was the gsi charged? i know the vxr vectra maps with 400 ft/lb of torque which once rolling would reel in a 300bhp evo, but off the line is very dubious

the new focus RS is costing a lot of cash! if you buy a vxr and throw some cash at it then you would reach the same levels of performance as the RS. But i have to agree the RS is some piece of kit its just the price tag

Lots of cars would reel in Evo's as they aren't fast IMO. They are extremely quick to the 80/100 mark depending which one you get. After that they become quite ordinary as far as performance cars go. Track monsters when tuned properly though.

A 4wd Evo with a stock 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds troubled off the line by a vectra? Its just a ridiculous statement. No FWD car without serious work and really serious tyres would ever do 60 even close to that. I mention the evo as i had one and i know what they can do, Impreza's are pretty much the same. Even the old Uk spec with 220bhp was no slouch of the line thanks to the AWD system (Under 6 seconds).

Statements like that should be kept for the pub, on a car enthusiasts forum they will just be ridiculed. Unless of course you go onto the Vectra owners club.

BTW the VXR stock pushes 276hp & 262ftlbs of torque. 400 would be one hell of a lift from a re-map. Is this proven figures?

Lots of cars would reel in Evo's as they aren't fast IMO. They are extremely quick to the 80/100 mark depending which one you get. After that they become quite ordinary as far as performance cars go. Track monsters when tuned properly though.

A 4wd Evo with a stock 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds troubled off the line by a vectra? Its just a ridiculous statement. No FWD car without serious work and really serious tyres would ever do 60 even close to that. I mention the evo as i had one and i know what they can do, Impreza's are pretty much the same. Even the old Uk spec with 220bhp was no slouch of the line thanks to the AWD system (Under 6 seconds).

Statements like that should be kept for the pub, on a car enthusiasts forum they will just be ridiculed. Unless of course you go onto the Vectra owners club.

BTW the VXR stock pushes 276hp & 262ftlbs of torque. 400 would be one hell of a lift from a re-map. Is this proven figures?

i totally agree with you bud

yep thats proven figures for the vxr vectra accross the board with all the tuners. The bhp increase is minimal only goes up to 300bhp from the map however the torque increase is immense. Above 300bhp the turbo starts to struggle although i believe the vew insignia vxr turbo is larger and some people are looking at putting them on the vectra but then once you go over 300bhp the gearbox and chassis start to struggle so its going to start costing some serious cash

i totally agree with you bud

yep thats proven figures for the vxr vectra accross the board with all the tuners. The bhp increase is minimal only goes up to 300bhp from the map however the torque increase is immense. Above 300bhp the turbo starts to struggle although i believe the vew insignia vxr turbo is larger and some people are looking at putting them on the vectra but then once you go over 300bhp the gearbox and chassis start to struggle so its going to start costing some serious cash

Can you point me in the direction of some info on it, i fancy a read as i've never heard of a torque increase of 140lb/ft with a small increase of 24hp.

All i could find is...

http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/tuning/Vectra_VXR.shtml

Offers more than 24hp extra but nowhere near the torque gain mentioned.

Its the torque that kills the gearbox, not the BHP so a larger turbo would be fine as long as it was a HP increase only.

Can you point me in the direction of some info on it, i fancy a read as i've never heard of a torque increase of 140lb/ft with a small increase of 24hp.

All i could find is...

http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/tuning/Vectra_VXR.shtml

Offers more than 24hp extra but nowhere near the torque gain mentioned.

Its the torque that kills the gearbox, not the BHP so a larger turbo would be fine as long as it was a HP increase only.

certainly, heres one thread i have found:-

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=60124

not sure whether you have to be a member to view it, apologies if you do but theres a few hreads in that section worth having a search for if you can

P.S apologies to the OP for going a bit off topic here

Theres your problem. Whooo tsh!! ;);)

Shocking!

:D Cheers guys that made me laugh :) - One of the main reasons I am selling is practicality. I have hurt my back so the supra isn't comfortable at the moment and I also park in a multi story every day so I can't drive her to work in any event. Also I don't drive a TT I have an N/A hence what ever I bought would be faster than what i have at present!

Scotts discussion (whilst interesting) is pretty irrelevant. I don't plan to drag race, race evos or really chase Vectras... i am looking for a hot hatch which is new enough not to need to MOT it.

Update: I was offered an 09 VXR racing with less than 3k miles for £300 p/m on PCP (3 years) which I don't think it too bad. £30 a month better than the cheapest Type R.