The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VXR Astra Racing Edition - Opinions please :)

marbleapple

Evening all,

I did a stupid thing today and took the girlfriend out car shopping... She hates the supra and some how I have found myself being talked into test driving a VXR Racing Edition Astra tomorrow evening (An example here: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1114625.htm).

The car i'm driving tomorrow evening is an ex demo at £18,000 with less than 3,000 miles on an 09 plate. If I bought it they would give me £2k for my old rust bucket but it would also mean I have to sell the supra to pay off my previous loan.

I asked people here similar opinions last year re whether to buy a supra and a run around or a bog standard VXR (http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=155347) and found the comments useful so I thought I would try again with the Racing Edition.

Does anyone have experience of these cars or recommend a very low mileage 'sporty' car of a reasonable price? I would only want to buy from a reputable dealer.

Ta :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres no performance upgrades tho......you only get discount on the parts. I like the VXRs , but this version is simply badges.....so id just get a standard VXR.

I had a run against an Astra VXR in my BPU supra the other day ( from 40 to XX leptons), just a straight line blast it wasnt a total white wash, but it did steadly disappear from my rear view mirror.

I was impressed, its a very hot hatch really and id definately buy one if i had the £££

Have you had a look at the new Focus RS? If i had the money thats where i would be looking.

Have you thought about the VXR nurburgring edition? One of the guys on here has one (Gaz or Gav i think).

Very good cars in my opinion, only one i wouldn't go near is the megan. French crap that will die on you after a couple of years. Not heard any issues about the VXR yet (other than the side strips on the doors falling off) and the Focus is of course tried and tested.

Have you thought about the VXR nurburgring edition? One of the guys on here has one (Gaz or Gav i think).

It is indeed me:)

I love my VXR. Test drove both the Burg and standard. The burg is a little lower and firmer ride, slightly different exhaust system which gives it a much nicer sound over standard VXR. As far as i know the Racing edition, as someone pointed out, is just a standard VXR with badges so really isnt all that amazing. You could get a burg for cheaper but it will prob be 1 year old.

Thanks guys.

Test drove it this evening and I have to say it blew the hell out of the Supra. The kick when you put your foot down was quite scary (I drive an N/A supra btw).

I think it is a standard VXR under the hood but with extra goodies like keyless entry and start, black full leather recaros with red pipeing and black 19's. Very comfortable and quiet drive. Dare I say even a bit more bling and even rarer (only 250 produced) than the Nuremburg (which I love too)

Thanks guys.

Test drove it this evening and I have to say it blew the hell out of the Supra. The kick when you put your foot down was quite scary (I drive an N/A supra btw).

I think it is a standard VXR under the hood but with extra goodies like keyless entry and start, black full leather recaros with red pipeing and black 19's. Very comfortable and quiet drive. Dare I say even a bit more bling and even rarer (only 250 produced) than the Nuremburg (which I love too)

Is the Nuremburg not a blimp?

A friend of a friend owns a Vauxhall dealership and let me take a VXR Nurburgring out and I was also impressed with the power and the sound from the Remus exhaust.

Is the Nuremburg not a blimp?

It might be... I suspect it will still be faster than my N/A in any event :D. Zeplin?

Also a place in Germany with significance in WW2 I think!... Or is that Neighmagen.

Either way I was impressed with the VXRracing edition and must admit that driving the supra home felt a bit toothless (and a bit more bone rattling).

It's front wheel drive, so fundamentally flawed from the drawing board :) How much does this leviathan weigh? How much did the original Astra weigh? Same for VW Golfs? Is this what they call progress :) Want a cheap sporty car? Look at BHP per ton figures and prices. Big first figure, low second figure, job sorted. Would be far cheaper not to take `er indoors out shopping in the first place though, you have a lot to learn my boy ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nurburgkris

hi, just joined to tell you a vxr racing is a MUST! i own a nurburgring edition which has the same remus set up. It sounds amazing! they are cheap to maintain and run. they keep up with imprezas and evos with courteney sport remap! hope u get one! :D

hi, just joined to tell you a vxr racing is a MUST! i own a nurburgring edition which has the same remus set up. It sounds amazing! they are cheap to maintain and run. they keep up with imprezas and evos with courteney sport remap! hope u get one! :D

When are you going to get a Supra then? :)

Well that it very nice of you to join the forums just to tell me to buy the VXR.

It's interesting that this thread started again because I planned to post in it today.

I went off the VXR Racing for a brand new Type R GT Sat Nav Civic.

I was talking to Stratstone Harrogate and Stratstone Bradford over the past few days. After playing off the two all week I got down from £380p/m on a pcp for a red Type R Civic with 18 inch wheels to a Black Type R with Rage 19 inch alloys for £330 per month for 3 yrs from Harrogate Stratstone.

After putting a deposit down on Friday for £200 I went today to do all the paper work and pick it up. On arriving (after driving for 30 minutes to Harrogate) I was told that they couldn't actually do the deal for £330p/m but could do £380p/m for 4 yrs for a red small wheeled model! - Very very upset!

I am now looking again at the VXR's....

Hi i previously owned a vxr for 2 years, had to sell up in order to buy a house. However in that two years of ownership i had no problems at all with mine. In general they dont have issues, the odd AFM does tend to go however that happens with the majority of cars in that range(vw's, audi's etc).

whatever you do please do not listen to JC and the top gear review!! that car was a pre prodcution model on an astra sri set up, 300bhp is achieved easily from a full sytem exhaust, intercooler and a remap. They also produce good torque figures aswell! i would recommend a set of springs (doesnt have to be stupidly low) and a rear anti roll bar which will certainly transform the handeling of the car. Any questions then please fire away

a good website to use would be vxronline.co.uk ;)