The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Preparing for a Clutch Change

Kev.O

I need to change my clutch, which I'm thinking of getting a garage to do (not just any old garage btw) and I want to make sure whilst I/they got the box down I get everything that's needed done at that one time. I've got my clutch which came with a pilot bearing and throwout bearing (not sure what the other small bear is for).

I have some V160 gearbox oil. Is it worth me doing anything else whilst I'm there? Bear in mind the gearbox is only 20,000 miles old. Is it worth changing the gearshift bushes, maybe to solid ones like these?

Is there any real benefit to fitting different gearbox mounts like these?

Edited by Kev.O (see edit history)

Do it yourself matey. Its not hard at all, just a bit of a heavy lump but if you get it high enough in the air you will be fine and im sure one of us can pop over and give you a hand. Although you say the box is only 20k miles old did it come with the bushes or were they transfered over?

I put new bushes in mine @ 70k miles and made a noticeable difference.

Do it yourself matey. Its not hard at all, just a bit of a heavy lump but if you get it high enough in the air you will be fine and im sure one of us can pop over and give you a hand. Although you say the box is only 20k miles old did it come with the bushes or were they transfered over?

I put new bushes in mine @ 70k miles and made a noticeable difference.

It was done by Toyota before I had the car, so I would imagine they replaced the lot as it was under warranty.

Getting the car in the air is probably the hardest part ;)

I replaced the hub, both bearings, release fork, all washers/wave spring/clips etc to be 100% safe. I'd bought it all in case it was needed and then just fitted it anyway :D

To be fair I did fit an RPS clutch and with a few of the horror stories floating around I wanted to be 100% sure the clutch was at fault if there was a problem. All perfect though so I guess you could call it preventative maintenance. :)

I have some AP Engineering aluminium bushes for the fork if you want to try them Kev. Made a huge difference on my car to the feel of the shift.

I replaced the hub, both bearings, release fork, all washers/wave spring/clips etc to be 100% safe. I'd bought it all in case it was needed and then just fitted it anyway :D

To be fair I did fit an RPS clutch and with a few of the horror stories floating around I wanted to be 100% sure the clutch was at fault if there was a problem. All perfect though so I guess you could call it preventative maintenance. :)

I have some AP Engineering aluminium bushes for the fork if you want to try them Kev. Made a huge difference on my car to the feel of the shift.

What sort of price Dan? I don't suppose you have all the part numbers from Mr.T do you please :innocent:

Does anyone have any other feedback for the solid mounts for the tripod shifter?

You will notice more noise and vibration from the shifter area.

noise, no diffeferent at all, vibration none but positive yes, it looks a pig to get to unless your taking the box out for a clutch change or rear selector seal like i did, well worth it, even bignum drove mine and said how much better it feels, and he dont like nothing i do so they must be good lol.

Hey Kev, nice clutch ;)

I've bought solid bushes and TRD engine mounts, so will be able to tell you in a few weeks. Probably too long for you to wait though.

PS: I'll sort your money out tonight.

TRD engine mounts or gearbox mounts?I might wait until the winter before changing the clutch anyhow, so any feedback would be great.

Have you received your clutch yet?

Great mod...stiffer shift action....feels more precise but seemed to take a little more thought as the gate feels tighter and narrower. After driving for 10mins it doesn't need any more thinking about. :)

As far as noise and vibration - I couldn't tell any difference to how it was before.

TRD engine mounts or gearbox mounts?I might wait until the winter before changing the clutch anyhow, so any feedback would be great.

Have you received your clutch yet?

Sorry, not concentrating... Only the gearbox mounts. I received the notice to pay the customs stuff on monday so I'm guessing it'll be soon.

I'll let you know as soon as I drive it. I'm off to SA on Thursday so it won't be until I get back on the 28th...