The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Twin tanks? road and race fuel?

JamieP

Just a thought, i love my race fuel map and wonder if i fitted another tank (dont need to be huge, maybe 2 gallon) in the boot full of race fuel with its own in line 044 pump how could i set it up so at a flick of a switch i could swap what tank im using?

The mapping side of things is easy, i already has a switch to change between road fuel and race fuel.

I know it could be done if i fitted another fuel rail as ive seen it done but i dont want to go the the expense or agro of doing that.

Would a Y piece into my road fuel line work or would the race fuel just go back into my road tank? maybe a one way valve of some sort?

I just wanna be ready for if i come across that Veyron again:d

Cheers Jamie:)

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

If you had a Y piece before the fuel rail with some kind of valve, you would also need another y piece and valve after it otherwise you be returning the unused fuel from tank B back into tank A.

Out of the two options I would probably go for a completely seperate system, otherwise you would also need to wait after switching for the fuel already in the line to be purged out by the race spec fuel.

It would be a lot of hassle, but do-able.

Edited by TLicense (see edit history)

it would be do-able, on the feed side you would just need a non return valve after each pump but as Tony points out the plumbing headache would be the returns where you would need a solenoid valve in each line that would be activated with the relevant pump, none of the hard plumbing and wiring would be rocket science but the variables again as Tony points out would be how do you know when your running on race fuel and as flow rises in the fuel system what would happen if a slug of normal fuel found its way out of a static leg when your at high boost :bang:, i think the only realistic way of doing this would be a seperate system

Have a look at the set up people have used on a twin injector system I'm sure I've seen intake setups with staged injection. The same installation could be used, and it saves re-inventing the wheel. Check to see if the ECU you are using can trigger different pumps depending on map.

Paul do you think it would matter that the second rail would be putting the fuel in further up the runners?

for all out performance mounting them a bit further back really wouldn't be a problem, the reason OEM's mount them so close to the head is usually for emmissions to prevent fuel dropout and the fuel is vapourised hitting the back of the red hot valve, for peak power mounting them further back would help cool the intake tract creating a denser charge, however the distances we are talking about here i think this would be negligible

for all out performance mounting them a bit further back really wouldn't be a problem, the reason OEM's mount them so close to the head is usually for emmissions to prevent fuel dropout and the fuel is vapourised hitting the back of the red hot valve, for peak power mounting them further back would help cool the intake tract creating a denser charge, however the distances we are talking about here i think this would be negligible

Thanks, im gonna look into doing it over the winter.