The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rounded Nuts...

tomssupra

Hi,

Just need some advice really - rounded two of my wheel nuts the other day by accident, i'm guessing the garage will be able break them off but how much will/should they charge?

Also, any recommend a place to buy locking wheel nuts, full set?

Thanks,

Tom

mate i did the same thing to my Impreza and it was a foooooking nightmare.

AFR managed to get them off in the end but only by drilling thro the actual stud and then replaced the studs after!!

depends how badly you've rounded them off and how easy it is to "crack" the nuts off depending on the style of your alloys.

John (dude) at AFR will be able to help you mate ;)

mate i did the same thing to my Impreza and it was a foooooking nightmare.

AFR managed to get them off in the end but only by drilling thro the actual stud and then replaced the studs after!!

depends how badly you've rounded them off and how easy it is to "crack" the nuts off depending on the style of your alloys.

John (dude) at AFR will be able to help you mate ;)

sh!t! mine weren't that bad! the mechanic had some sort of socket that he used and took him about an hour to get 6 off! no where near as bad as yours! so obviously depends how badly rounded they are!

Nuts or bolts for definate?

IF its bolts you can use a bloody big easy out, if its nuts try finding an imperial socket you can get on with a bit of hammer and an impact wrench.

Its not exactly textbook and you'll ruin the socket but its quite effective if you only need to do one or 2.

Final choice is you dril them out with a HSS drill and replace the stud.

We used to have proper rounded off locking wheel nuts removal tools, and RAC and AA have them too.

Hit them on with a hammer, and as you try to undo, they grip tigher and tigher to the rounded nut and eventually come off, BUT the can be a pain to get out of the socket after :D

He could use a stud remover but they are bloody massive and unless the nut is protruding from the wheel itself he won't have a chance.

Stud remover works as Danno said. You don't need to hammer it on though, it has 3 rollers that move closer to gether as you rotate them in a given direction.