The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A lucky escape.

DODGYDODDS

I would imagine that if it's buried they would feed a wire back to a safe distance. I would be surprised that certain advanced technology would be used by the Afghans/Iraqi's.

I would imagine the Army boys will be along shortly....;)

H.

You will be amazed.

I have seen remote controls from RC cars.

Wireless phones

Mobile phones using DTMF

Passive infared

The tend not to use wire these days.

They take old artillery shells and rig them up to any remote they get there hands on.

Im an instructor in counter measures for bombs in Iraq and i have pretty much seen everything they can use.

They are clever little f**kers and know alot about making good bombs.

So what happens in a situation like this? Do you just get out of dodge asap or look for the person who set it off? They have to be within sight of the bomb but I guess that could be quite a distance if they use a remote trigger?

I guess you are sitting ducks for snipers if you stop and start looking around too much?

I remember back in the 80's the IRA put a 500lb bomb in a culvert under a road (fairly common back then) and detonated it when a Police patrol passed by in one of the old Hotspur Land Rovers. (The grey armoured ones) It basically threw it over a hedge where it landed on it's roof. On-one was badly hurt.

Less than a week later another was put under another road, but this time they filled the culvert to it's roof with well over 1000lb of explosives. When that one went off, the land rover just disappeared. It left a 15ft deep, 26ft wide crater in the road. The bodies were recovered in many small pieces. As I remember, the spare tyre from the roof was thrown hundreds of yards back along the road and injured some colleagues in another Land Rover despite it also being armour plated.

Mind boggling power released in the blink of an eye.

So what happens in a situation like this? Do you just get out of dodge asap or look for the person who set it off? They have to be within sight of the bomb but I guess that could be quite a distance if they use a remote trigger?

I guess you are sitting ducks for snipers if you stop and start looking around too much?

You would just put your foot down and get out of there

There will be "spy planes" and UAV's in the air to monitor it.

Once a report is done normally a full team will go there for back up while EOD do there stuff.

But if one of the vehicles had got caught then its a toss up between stop and take cover and check for secondary explosives or if other wagon to far gone and no one alive then leg it.

Wasnt there some form of mobile signal jamming counter measure deployed to counter such 'mobile triggered' IEDs?

Not sure if our lads have it, but I thought the yanks had something along those lines to prevent the bombs going off when they where near them.

:shrug:

Yes we do

The yank stuff is crap as f**k.

Our stuff is the best there is.

I cant say too much about ours as its still secret.

The counter measures do jam signals but if they are using infared switches you cant jam that.