The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hodge's (The Kraken) Supra build

hodge

I have to disagree. I've seen numerous cars with 3" exhausts running big power without an issue. If it does prove a problem then I'll make some 4" pipework for the backbox.

It's probably different when you bottleneck it though rather than run 3" all the way back. I'd imagine that's why Jamie felt a big difference, rather than the actual diameter of the smallest section.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to disagree. I've seen numerous cars with 3" exhausts running big power without an issue. If it does prove a problem then I'll make some 4" pipework for the backbox.

Going from a 4" down to a 3" will cause a restriction and really affect it.

Your fine going the other way from 3" to 4" but not this way.

Either do the whole thing 3" or 4". I would just get a 4" exhaust to go with your mp as your running a fairly big turbo.

Also, as the air cools down, it contracts, so 3" at the back might not be the end of the world. Either way, I think a stock-block will be more of a restriction than a 3" to 4" pipe. You can address both of them next year, John :)

It will effect it and it's not just a power problem. It will cause back pressure effect spool and top end.

It will effect it and it's not just a power problem. It will cause back pressure effect spool and top end.

I have to agree, really did kill mine, felt ok in the low gears but really knocked the life out of the higher gears, honestly felt like i lost 100 or maybe more bhp.

If I run out of work on the car before I save up enough pennies for the ECU then I will make a 4" system but at present I'm not to worried.

Making a 4" back section is the way to go. :)

Would be a shame not to as you have done the car so well would be silly to cut a corner like that.

100hp are you serious. Now I am concerned.

Might be more mate, just felt dead, when i put the 4" back on the car felt mental again, loved to rev.

If you pass this way at all i have a couple of 1.5m lenths of 4" stainless pipe you can have FOC, posting would be a ballache.

Might be more mate, just felt dead, when i put the 4" back on the car felt mental again, loved to rev.

If you pass this way at all i have a couple of 1.5m lenths of 4" stainless pipe you can have FOC, posting would be a ballache.

Thanks Jamie I'll keep that in mind mate.

Started on my list of jobs today.

1st off was go get some MDF for the false boot floor. When me and Bossco got to Jewson and bought the wood we found this when we loaded (tried to load) it into the car.

With a bit of strategic driving we got it home with me hanging on to the wood for dear life.

More issues round the corner though.

I filled the gearbox up with Royal purple. Was very surprised how quickly it filled.

Next came bleeding the clutch and this is where the problems began.

No matter how much I bled off the clutch I just couldn't seem to get it to work right.

These seems to be about a 10mm discrepancy before the slave cylinder starts to push the fork. I'm starting to think that the the slave cylinder is goosed as I've tried on numerous occasions but it always seems to lose it's pedal after a while.

Also I've found that the clutch pedal is very light. Now I've drove supras with twin plate clutches before and the pedal is always heavy.

I need to investigate more.

Now I've got a spare 6 speed slave cylinder in the shed so I'm going to swap the pins over ad the stock 6 speed pin is much longer and may be just enough to engage the clutch. If not I think it's going to need a new slave cylinder which ain't going to be cheap.

Just ordered my oil temp sensor for the solaris.

The plan with this is that the solaris will restrict the engine from revving high until the oil is up to temp. I think the BMW M3 have this feature. Very useful safety device if you ask me... I'll order the rest of the accessories for it in the next week or so.

Just ordered my oil temp sensor for the solaris.

The plan with this is that the solaris will restrict the engine from revving high until the oil is up to temp. I think the BMW M3 have this feature. Very useful safety device if you ask me... I'll order the rest of the accessories for it in the next week or so.

Yea. most of the //M cars have that :)

After all the clutch whoes ive had over the last day or so, I spend all day trying to sort it out.

eventually i totally lost the plot and decided to take the master cylinder out and strip it down.

To my horror it was full af polishing soap and mop string. yet another total feck up for reflections.

Odviously when I sent this to reflections to be polished it wasnt stripped or the holes blocked before it was polished and all the crap has gone inside and blocked up the cylinder.

Origionally when i recieved it back from Reflections all the holes were clear everything looked clean but I couldnt see inside.

Its only a 2 minuite job to strip it so cant understand why he didnt but hey ho. yet another job I should have just done myself.

After cleaning the cylinder I took some pics of it apart and in what stages it goes back together.

Heres all the parts layed out.

Plastic cap fits into the spring.

spring and cap fits onto the plunger.

Then it goes inside of the slave cylinder.

The rear plunger/shaft then fits into the first plunger with the seals in it.

The washer is slid into the cylinder and a circlip goes on to hold it all in place. Finally a rubber cover goes on and its ready to be fitted back in the car.

Then came a hardcore bleeding session. Eventually We managed to get it bled off and soak me in clutch fluid but its all good.

I also made a new heat guard for the turbo. I wasnt happy with the origional heat shield and the 90 degree fitting on the drivers side cam cover wouldnt attach if the heatshield was in place. So this is what I came up with.

Another busy day today.

Firstly I sorted the throttle stroke out. When I pressed the throttle to the floor it was hitting the stop before it was fully opened on the throttle body. So I modified the stop to make it a little lower and now it opens full perfectly.

Next the car was pushed outside so I could remove the front wings.

I wanted the wing mesh to tie in with the rest of the black mesh on the car so i stripped it out and fitted some new.

There was a black backing plate behind the mesh fitted to the wings which ive removed also. Im considering painting it white and remounting it but not sure yet.

My dogs even getting in on the action.

Whilst the wings were off I lined the bonnet up, as its never been straight since I put it on. Lines look pretty bamn good to me now.

Ive cut to O2 sensor flange off the downpipe and welded the AEM Wideband sensor bung into the midpipe. Downpipe and midpipe are now fitted and wideband sensor is in.

You cant really see it that clear but ive used the rubber bung in the passanger side of the transmission tunnel to feed the wideband sensor through.

Wings back on.

starting to get dark.

black mesh!!! good man, thats the best look.... overlooked them rims before but s**t they are special.

Cheers Rob. Yeah im not a fan of silver mesh at all. it looks too boy racery if you know what i mean.

Another full day ahead working on it tomorrow and friday. Hopefully by next week I want to have most stuff done so i can get to work on the bodywork.