The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hodge's (The Kraken) Supra build

hodge

John man,The attention to detail here is unreal!

The desire to have it finished and running must be unbearable!

It will be finished when it's finished KeV to be honest. If I rush it I'll just end up taking it apart again to make it better.

This thread needs to be in the NWS section. The dangerous thing about it is you're making all this awesomeness look easy. No doubt some members on here are reading through the 101 pages of brilliance thinking "I can do that", then they go out and ruin their car :D

I agree, your doing all this yourself and its like your a duck to water very impressive.

It's all a learning curve guys it really is.

I honestly really appreciate the positive comments. It makes the hundreds of man hours labour all work it and keeps me going when I've had enough.

A MASSIVE THANKS TO YOU ALL.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never once thought of calling it a day, I've got a vision and I'll see it to the end no matter what but I have lost the love a few times cos things went going right.

But something small ends up amazing n kicks me back on track again.

Hodge...mate... my mrs is getting mad at me cause the pics you post make my pants all gooey and there a pain to clean aparently.... huff

;)

I can help you there bud, here's what to do.

Take laptop into toilet,

Remove trousers n wabs,

Purch balls on end of toilet,

Pull dinkle vigorously,

Squirt in toilet,

No mess job done.

Hope this helps lol.

Sorry dude couldn't resist. Lmao hehehe.

Help yourself mate. That's what projects are for. I've used stuff from peoples projects too and just added a bit of my own flair lol. If you know what I mean.

You need any help with anything you want to try drop me a p.m and I'll point you in the right direction.

Will certainly take you up on that offer, if and when I can ship my car over from Australia.

I may of missed this but what is the black fibre glass piece the grille is screwed to? :shrug:

It comes with the TRD kit mate. It's an inner bumper. It direct air to the intercooler and to the front brakes. It's the only part of the kit I had a mess around fitting. Everything else bolted straight on.

although I work on the car most days I can only do an update with pics on a weekend as the missus is working away for a few weeks ans she takes the laptop with her so be prepared for a pic frenzy on weekends for a few more weeks yet.

All been fabrication work over the last week since my last update.

I bought a new wastegate Diaphram, inlet v-band flange and an outlet v-band flange for my 44mm Tial Wastegate (kindly sold to me for pennies for jamieP, cheers dude).

he gave me a new diaphram with the wastegate but as i fitted it I nipped it and didnt want to risk using it incase it gave me a boost issue.

I had to devise a way of getting the diaphram into the wastegate with out it carching as i put the top on. This was harder than it sounds as its an extremely tight fit.

So after trying a few different things, this is what I came up with.

There is 6 bolt holes in the top that hld the parts together.

i fitted the diaphram to the body, then fitted the spring. I them put the top on and using 3 long bolts with a short thread wound the top down, to the bottom of the thread. Then with the other 3 holes I used slightly smaller bolts and pulled it down further, removing the long bolts and taking care the top went down evenly. and again with smaller bolts. This took it down to the top of the diaphram. I very gently pushed the diaphram under the lid with the end of the allen key. I then used the origional bolts for the wastegate and clamped the lid on, ALL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

shiney new diaphram fitted

This is what i used to get the top on the wastegate.

Next came the wastegate pipe on the manifold. This proved to be a right tinker to get it in place. the manifold I bought from Whifbitz had a small wastegate tube which stuck up off the side of the manifold (pre-production unit), which was no good for the turbo I had bought as it quite large. the tube had to be lopped off and angled down under the manifold somehow as I didnt want the wastgate on show in the interest of a clean bay. The problem was the shaft to the steering rack which seemed to be in the way whichever way I angled the pipe. After a couple of attempts though I managed to get it to clear the column by about 5mm and then get the wastegate v-band welded on. I also had the dump tube v-band welded on at the same time so that was that section of the car complete.

Drivers side 4" intercooler pipework has been welded together. im now just waiting for a 4"-3" 45 degree reducer coming to join them together and thats that side finished, well apart from polishing it and the turbo compressor housing that is. I should get that done next week.

Now for the passanger intercooler pipework.

This is slightly more tricky due to it having to go through the bodywork of the car. What made it especially arkward was its 4" instead of the usual 3". When i did my last supra I used 3 inch and had no problems at all. Due to the pipe diamiter the bends had to be very tight, but after a lot of trimmming and grinding I nailed it.

I started with 3 of these.

I had to cut almost all the straight off the 1st pipe to the TB to give some clearence for the front of the car.

After this was sorted a hole for the pipework had to be cut. I just marked it up roughly and used a drill to get the initial size and then I would grind the hole out to make it nice and oliptical to accomidate the pipework.

Unfortunatly due to the heat the Paint on the panel I had been drilling and grinding has blistered and cracked so its gota be painted again, (eagerly awaiting Rob Michel to post up and tell me hows best to do this lol).

heres some more pics as I worked my way through fitting the pipework.

Pipework ready to be welded up.

Ive just ordered up the silicon hoses for the car too. Im going for all white hoses in the engien bay and black hoses for the intercooler end tanks.

Unfortunaty because the White is a 1 off colour its going to take about 3 weeks to make and get out to me but im sure it will be worth the weight.

Cheers blacky. I've tried to cram as much welding in this week as I could cos my welder is on hold for 2 weeks now. So may have to wait to get the passenger IC pipes welded up unless I can find another weldr that's as good.