The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hodge's (The Kraken) Supra build

hodge

Sandwich plate came today. Oil leak is now all sorted. Took her to work tonight and it drives like a stock car with an uprated clutch off boost. I think I've actually nailed what I tried to do with it. Couple of little rattles I want to sort but no big deal at all. Putting some more miles on it over the weekend then I best off give Ryan a buzz, for a mapping session.

Dan Sherwood (Jap performance editor) has been in touch today too wanting to do another feature on the car too. I'm over the moon with that :D

One word to describe this post...EPIC :D

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sandwich plate came today. Oil leak is now all sorted. Took her to work tonight and it drives like a stock car with an uprated clutch off boost. I think I've actually nailed what I tried to do with it. Couple of little rattles I want to sort but no big deal at all. Putting some more miles on it over the weekend then I best off give Ryan a buzz, for a mapping session.

Dan Sherwood (Jap performance editor) has been in touch today too wanting to do another feature on the car too. I'm over the moon with that :D

If Carlsberg did days with a supra ....

Give me a mention, before you blow it up :) Well done John!!!

Give me a mention, before you blow it up :) Well done John!!!

I won't be blowing it up dont worry. You certainly will be getting a mention, this engine is just perfection. Thanks for all the help :)

I CANNOT wait until SCS to see this feat :)

Really looking forward to it myself James. Even the drive up from my house is a perfect drive for a supra. Lots of long straight roads and a couple of twistys too. Can see it being an EPIC weekend for sure.

Fantastic to hear you have got it where you want it Hodge, it is an amazing machine... Looks and power to match!! :cool:

Problem is now you can't get many cars in the world to replace it with! Even a Gallardo will feel slow :D

Fantastic to hear you have got it where you want it Hodge, it is an amazing machine... Looks and power to match!! :cool:

Problem is now you can't get many cars in the world to replace it with! Even a Gallardo will feel slow :D

Well lets hope when I do change my car, I've grown up a bit and realized power isn't everything or I'm a little stuck lol.

Great to hear John. Looking forward to seeing it on the Queens tarmac at a Wednesday night meet.

Hi Ross

Well I'm on nights this week and next but the week after I'll have a look down if I've got nothing on.

A few results over the last few days with the car.

As a part of the engine build, I fitted an extended lower sump pan. This is basically big enough to hold an extra ltr of oil or there abouts.

I bought the upper and lower sump, and oil pick up from Darrets old car. He told me the whole idea of it was, the greater volume of oil, you get more oil pressure and when it's all curculating the larger capacity sump helps keep the oil cooler.

If I'm honest I thought it was a big ask for only 1 extra litre of oil but it's came up trumps. Over the times I've had it out in hot weather, and yes it has been hot up here for a change, I've seen some good results.

Oil pressure - 8 bar on cold start (as normal) but once the car is warm, I'm seeing 3 bar at idle (usually had 2 bar) and 9.5 bar when rpm is increased. Pressure build up seems to be a lot quicker also.

Oil temperature - I've seen a drop of 10 degrees which I'm over the moon about. My initial setup, I had removed the stock oil cooler, a 30 row cooler in fornt of the radiator and was seeing very high oil temp of sometimes 130 degrees. This was due to the location of the cooler in relation to the bumper mouth. I changed my setup to a 16 row cooler but located it in the passenger side duct behind my I/C pipe. I ducted it all to get good air flow to the cooler and this dropped my oil temps to nothing higher than 100 degrees even driving around town in really hot weather. The extended sump has dropped my temps a further 7-10 degrees. The oil still warms up quickly because of the thermostatic sandwich plate but the temps are just about perfect now.

So all is good. I'm going to to g Ryan on Monday about mapping so lets hope he can squeeze me in before Scottish modified in July.

Supra love FTMFW.

Thats quite a dramatic difference there for the sake of fitting a higher capacity sump, pretty impressive for the tempretures weve been having lately some good info! Good luck with the mapping :thumbs:

Thanks Kaan. I did however see the biggest temp drop after relocating the oil cooler. Eventhough I've basically handed the size of the cooler, it has a lot more direct air flow now. The car is running like a dream, I just need some boost now.

Been out in the car yesterday and today. Had the roof off too. I pushed it to 0.5 bar today, AFRs were perfect. That's as far as I'll go though. I am pleased at how it spools, it doesn't seem any difference it RPM to my GT42-76 setup.

I FREAKING LOVE THIS CAR.

Hey John, if your just out driving putting miles on the motor and your in the Birtley area, call in for a cuppa and perhaps a slice of cake....

No cake for me mate, I'm dieting :)

I'll drop you a line if I'm round that way. I'll probably have me son with me too.

will you be mapping with NOS as I see you have a bottle on the rear seats,

Just a CO2 intercooler spray Mark. I've heard good results by using it on a dyno, keeps the charge temps down nicely.

- - - Updated - - -

Now that is hot stuff! :love:

Thanks Chris ;)