Hodge's (The Kraken) Supra build

hodge

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

managed to get my Veilside carbon mirrors fitted today, they looks the nuts. massive thanks to Stevo for carbon skinning these for me.

Ive tucked the ECU and wiring away now under the ECU cover and carpet so all the interior is finished. Unfortunately ive hit a little problem, well a big problem really. After I put the cover over thew ECU the car wouldnt start. I pulled it all back out again and it fired. So i must have a frayed or damaged wire somewhere. Whilst the car was running I wiggled the wiring and the car spluttered and seem to die. I then pulled the wires back to where they were and it fired again. Ive got no errors from the Syvecs at all.

the problem has now got worse and I guess the wire must have completely broke cos the car wont ever try and start. The pumps are running but its not sparking. Ive checked the resistance between the ECU and the igniter and its all fine, so im at a bit of a loss really. I suppose this is the problem with old 1996 wire. its going to get brittle.. So now im left with the task of trying to find it, which could take forever and a day.

I think ill drop Ryan an email tonight and see if theres any sort of dignostics the syvecs has to check what curcuit is faulty.

and I was expecting to have the car out next week. gutted.

Can't the Syvecs display real time data? If so you NEED to to know how to do this and what you SHOULD be seeing. If you want to learn more about what you should see from the sensors there's the Motec web site, and a host of stuff on You Tube. Given the trouble you have gone to with the rest I would honestly consider building a bespoke engine loom from new materials.

If you think I can help via phone, you know how to get me! Have you got Skype and a web cam? Will it reach to where the ecu lap top is? If it was Motec i could say do "this, this and this". With the Syvecs I'd have to refresh myself as to where stuff is, I find it a bit unintuitive, (actually, VERY unintuitive......) :) I am out tonight until late, but here all day tomorrow I think

Can't the Syvecs display real time data? If so you NEED to to know how to do this and what you SHOULD be seeing. If you want to learn more about what you should see from the sensors there's the Motec web site, and a host of stuff on You Tube. Given the trouble you have gone to with the rest I would honestly consider building a bespoke engine loom from new materials.

If you think I can help via phone, you know how to get me! Have you got Skype and a web cam? Will it reach to where the ecu lap top is? If it was Motec i could say do "this, this and this". With the Syvecs I'd have to refresh myself as to where stuff is, I find it a bit unintuitive, (actually, VERY unintuitive......) :) I am out tonight until late, but here all day tomorrow I think

It's more annoying than anything else Chris. I should have pinpointed the wire as soon as I identified there was an issue but I moved the wires about and it must have fractured. It could even be 1 of my solder joints. I'm too pi$$ed off to look at it tomorrow, I'm better off leaving the garage locked for a few days to chill out and refresh my mind a little.

I'm going to fire Ryan an email to see if he can shed any light on it.

Ah, matey, not what you need. :( Good call on leaving it for a bit to let your brain re-set though. :looney: I guess long-term that it's better all of this happens while most of the car is still disassembled - it would be REALLY frustrating if you had everything back together and then a wire chose that time to die... No solace, I'm sure but having her back on the road seems tantalisingly close. :)

Ah, matey, not what you need. :( Good call on leaving it for a bit to let your brain re-set though. :looney: I guess long-term that it's better all of this happens while most of the car is still disassembled - it would be REALLY frustrating if you had everything back together and then a wire chose that time to die... No solace, I'm sure but having her back on the road seems tantalisingly close. :)

Everything is back together, the cars all but finished. I've only got the cam shim gaps to check and it's ready for the road, now this. Totally gutted. But I'll find it, there's no question really, I just don't fancy pulling the loom out again that's all.

I think I've resigned myself to the fact that this loom is coming back out again. I really don't want to but I've got no choice. There's no way I'm going to find the wire break without checking the resistance on all the wires.

Could you not use the ecu pinout to know what each wire is and then test it at the selected sensor/switch , the colour wire will also help in pinpointing the actual wire,

Would bd alot easier to test out the car but you could do as above if you rwally dont want to take to loom out.

To be fair what chris said making a new loom is a good call as I bet so much is no longer used it may make the best sence, very anouying I bet

Here's a couple of pics of the carbon Veilside mirrors fitted.

I recon the igniter wiring is a good place to start with the broken wire, so I've found this igniter wiring diagram so just need to trace the wires back to source and check the resistance. I've already checked the 6 signal wires from igniter to ECU and there all good, but my guess is its either going to be a power or earth wire.

Could you not use the ecu pinout to know what each wire is and then test it at the selected sensor/switch , the colour wire will also help in pinpointing the actual wire,

Would bd alot easier to test out the car but you could do as above if you rwally dont want to take to loom out.

To be fair what chris said making a new loom is a good call as I bet so much is no longer used it may make the best sence, very anouying I bet

I've already removed every unwanted wire in the loom anyway so it's pretty much custom. The loom is now about a quarter of the size.

There's no way I'm going to make a full new custom loom, I'm not that electrically minded and on top of that, the cost of plugs alone would be astronomical.

A multimeter on continuity test, one lead on the ecu plug contact, the other on the sensor connector.... I am sure you can crank the engine and look in the Syvecs to see what signals the ecu is getting and sending though, don't even need to get your hands dirty. SMon is the utility, isn't it?

Hodge, if only I lived closer, I would come round and offer some assistance.

It might be worth checking the cam and crank sensor wiring too as this is part of the ignition circuit.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/Casey-Kev/DF484817-62BF-43B8-93E6-389E7292CFC0-6299-00000721130E90B3.jpg

If there's is a crank or cam sensor issue the car throws up a short tooth error when cranking and the Syvecs cuts the fuel. The pump is still running it just wont fire. It's definately a wire break that's for certain.

A multimeter on continuity test, one lead on the ecu plug contact, the other on the sensor connector.... I am sure you can crank the engine and look in the Syvecs to see what signals the ecu is getting and sending though, don't even need to get your hands dirty. SMon is the utility, isn't it?

I've got a feeling it's a 12v live or earth that's broken Chris. I'm guessing either to the igniter or the earth to the coils. Think I'll start by pulling a coil pack and see if there sparking.

If there's is a crank or cam sensor issue the car throws up a short tooth error when cranking and the Syvecs cuts the fuel. The pump is still running it just wont fire. It's definately a wire break that's for certain.

Sorry bud I'm not use to Syvecs.

I've spoke to Ryan today and he suggests it could be the cam sensor wiring that's faulty. Which actually makes sense as I had to cut this to hardwire it into the ECU when I thought there was an issue with it previously. I've been quite bust today with 1 thing and another so hopefully I'll get an hour or so on it Wednesday, if not ill be on it all day Friday. If love to take it to the F&F meet at the metro centre Friday night, but if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen.