Hodge's (The Kraken) Supra build

hodge

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will do Luc, thanks mate. There's a few issues I want to address before I take it out on the road.

Now it's running and I've had it up to temp I want to check the cam shims to make sure there all still fine.

I've also noticed a very small oil leak at the back of the engine too. I'm hoping its just dripping down from a cam cover.

The fuel pressure odviously needs addressing too. Most of these won't bet done until I'm back from my holidays though. I'm off to Spain for a week with mrs.H on Saturday. But it will be full steam ahead when I get back to get some miles on the car before its dyno'd.

1 thing I am really impressed with which I'd forgot how good they actually were are my electric fans. I've got them set to come on at 90 degrees and go off at 80 degrees. Once these things fire up it takes seconds to drop the temp 10 degrees, and I mean seconds. These fans are emense.

SRD Fans right? If so I'm Sold....

Congrats on getting it up and running.

SRD Fans right? If so I'm Sold....

Congrats on getting it up and running.

Johns fans are custom jobbies not SRD

Mine are PHR fans but with a couple of upgrades.

I bought the chrome fan shroud from PHR to house Lexus IS300 fans. I bought the fans seperate. The Lexus used 1 x 13amp fans and 1 x 10amp fan. I fitted 2 x 13amp fans but also upgraded the power and earth cable to much thicker gauge. So when they turn on they only have a current draw of 26amps between them. I'm sure I was told (may have been steve.M) that the SRD fans have a draw of 46amps when they come on. Although I may be wrong.

A little good news, the small oil leak I thought I had isn't actually an oil leak. It's just oil that was sitting in a part of the subframe that i spilt from when I fitted the oil filter.

Also the reason I have no fuel pressure when the pumps prime is because the Syvecs isn't actually turning the pumps on. The noise I assumed was from priming is actually coming from the engine bay. So I need to investigate why it's not firing the pumps. Odds are its down to a wiring issue, where I've fitted the Syvecs plug.

That's a job for Wednesday night after training though.

Finally I want to check velve clearances as it was freezing cold when I shimmed the cams and I remember Lee mentioning that the cold could make the sizes incorrect. So best be safe than sorry.

Whilst I'm in there I want to investigate why the timing belt moves backward and forward slightly while the engine is running.

After that, it's tax and insurance, get some miles on it, a few oil and coolant changes and then down to the dyno.

A little good news, the small oil leak I thought I had isn't actually an oil leak. It's just oil that was sitting in a part of the subframe that i spilt from when I fitted the oil filter.

Also the reason I have no fuel pressure when the pumps prime is because the Syvecs isn't actually turning the pumps on. The noise I assumed was from priming is actually coming from the engine bay. So I need to investigate why it's not firing the pumps. Odds are its down to a wiring issue, where I've fitted the Syvecs plug.

That's a job for Wednesday night after training though.

Finally I want to check velve clearances as it was freezing cold when I shimmed the cams and I remember Lee mentioning that the cold could make the sizes incorrect. So best be safe than sorry.

Whilst I'm in there I want to investigate why the timing belt moves backward and forward slightly while the engine is running.

After that, it's tax and insurance, get some miles on it, a few oil and coolant changes and then down to the dyno.

Gotta love it when a plan comes together (to coin the phrase :D )! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

The cam belt walk *MAY* be because the VVTi stuff hadn't settled down and come up to full, purged oil pressure. If it still does it after 10 seconds I would be wanting to know why. I would initially suspect out of true cam pulleys and try some stock ones. The belt guide washer is on the crank isn't it? Glad it runs. Look after it!Try not to do lots of cold starts, it needs the map looking at before it's used, unless NOTHING has changed form the last map. I still think you are brave with electric fans on that thing, there is no way at all I would even contemplate anything other than an engine driven one.

The cam belt walk *MAY* be because the VVTi stuff hadn't settled down and come up to full, purged oil pressure. If it still does it after 10 seconds I would be wanting to know why. I would initially suspect out of true cam pulleys and try some stock ones. The belt guide washer is on the crank isn't it? Glad it runs. Look after it!Try not to do lots of cold starts, it needs the map looking at before it's used, unless NOTHING has changed form the last map. I still think you are brave with electric fans on that thing, there is no way at all I would even contemplate anything other than an engine driven one.

It's a NON-VVTI Chris but the belt seems to have settled a little now. Yep the guide washer is on the crank. Ryan has had a look at the map for me. He dialed in and got it started for me. AFR's are perfect. These electric fans are seriously amazing. I've got them set to come on at 90 degrees and go off at 80 degrees. It only take 37 seconds for them to cool it 10 degrees. I've had the car in traffic in read hot weather and the car never once went over 90 degrees.

Got a few more bits done today. I had a nightmare with the V-band join between turbo and downpipe. Just couldn't get it to seal. I kept tightening it and the bolt snapped. To be fair though, it was the thinnest bolt I've ever seen on a v-band. I've ordered a new 4.5" one but I'm not holding my breath for it to fit. So I butchered a spare 4" one I had and used the bold and holder. Still wouldn't seal. It turns out that the flange face on the downpipe was all over the place which leaves a big gap at one side that the v-band can't pull in.

So with a good old engineers file I flattened it off best I could. So almost after a full day it's back on and not leaking anymore.

I bought some Veilside mirrors a while ago from Jamie and asked Stevo to carbon skin them for me. Those came back just before my holidays so I've managed to fit the drivers one today. It's all taped up so the Sikaflex can dry. Looks awesome.

Fuel pressure issue is all sorted too. It turned out to be a wiring fault on my part. Instead of wiring pin 22 on the supra ECU plug to relay on the Syvecs plug I wired pin 23 instead. This stopped the Syvecs priming/turning on the pumps. All sorted now though.

Next job is to get the ECU all tucked away in the footwell, then fit the passenger side mirror.

Finally, I want to retrim my dash again, cos if I'm honest, it's a load of sh1te. I'm not happy with it at all. I'll put some miles on the car before the dash gets done though.

I still can't believe what you can do with a Supra John.

Bl@@dy amazing!!

If you think that's good, wait til you see what I can do at an all you can eat Buffet. Now that's impressive :)

If you think that's good, wait til you see what I can do at an all you can eat Buffet. Now that's impressive :)

LOL!

Get that dash stripped and flock the panels mate! Mine was done by a previous owner with a do it yourself kit, it looks well. Having it done professionally wouldn't be that dear and a lot better of a job i'd imagine!

LOL!

Get that dash stripped and flock the panels mate! Mine was done by a previous owner with a do it yourself kit, it looks well. Having it done professionally wouldn't be that dear and a lot better of a job i'd imagine!

Might give it a go.