Hodge's (The Kraken) Supra build

hodge

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just had an email back off Ryan, he says it looks like my cam sensor is seeing some sort of noise. Could be a wiring issue. I'll take a look at it tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

God i hate them even more now! hope your fault is easier to find than mine. best of luck mate

God i hate them even more now! hope your fault is easier to find than mine. best of luck mate

Thanks Rob. I'm sure it's something silly. I bet I've just made a bit of a bungle with the wiring somewhere, when I wired my Syvecs plug direct into the loom.

Well guys, unfortunately that wasn't the issue. It must have came out when when I removed the plug..

I've fitted a new plug, new sensor, and even tried reversing the wiring but no luck. Next step is to check the pin positions in relation to the I/O config, to make sure I'm got everything in the right place when I swapped over the ECU plug.

Oh! watching with interest on this. best of luck John!

The I/O config on my map says that the cam signal wire goes to pin 35 which I have in the right place which is good news lol.

I'm assuming that the cam sensor having 2 wires, 1 is a common ground and the other is a signal wire.

So tomorrow I'm going to check the resistance between the sensor and the ECU for the signal wire. I would have thought the common earth will be able to just go to chassis or and earth on the ECU loom. If I do t get a decent resistance signal then I'll run a wire direct to the ECU from the sensor. If this doesn't do it, then I'm climbing up the same tree as Rob and we can both hang ourselves together.

Dibbs on both cars. YEAH BOI.

I'm sure you guys will suss it soon :)

I'm not panicing James if I'm honest, it can only be the wiring, either the signal or earth. It's just a lengthy process finding where the problem is that's all.

Didnt take you long to pull that out, whats you thinking on the problem? Something wrong in the loom itself?

It's not my loom, it's a spare I've got in the shed I use for plugs etc. I wanted to trace where the cam and crank sensor wires went to. I had a feeling the sensor common earth would bridge at some point and it does.

The earth wires for cam sensor 1, cam sensor 2 and the crank sensor all bottle neck into 1, then split into 3 again, which I can't understand really. If all 3 wires go to seperate terminals (terminals 5, 6, 7 on E10). When these go into the Syvecs loom they all go into 1 pin, which is pin 7 (sensor ground). The signal wires for cam sensor on the Syvecs loom is pin 35 and crank sensor signal is 36.

The Syvecs only uses cam sensor 1, so I've removed sensor 2 and it's wiring from the loom.

Ryan said to call him today but there was no answer, he must be mapping, so I left a message to phone me back.

I persiveared with finding the fault but had no joy. I checked the resistance on the crank and cam sensor single wires and also the sensor ground from both sensors and but everything was fine. I changed both the cam and crank sensors with spares I've got, but again no joy. I've even hardwired the cam sensor into the ECU to bypass any wiring glitches but again, nothing. The only thing left to do electrically is to run 2 seperate ground wires to the ECU incase there is an issue somewhere in the common ground wires. This is the next job, then I'm out of ideas.

I've even had a cam cover off to check to see if the lobe on the can that the sensor takes the signal from had broken off but nope. I havnt checked the crank sprocket as its brand new so didn't see it nessessary.

Like I said, if running direct grounds to the ECU doesn't sort it, I'm totally stuck.

Well Im glad to read you didnt burn it to the ground in a hulk rage.

No, but what I did do is wire that joystick into my Dash2 display, instead of those crappy buttons. It's pretty damn cool. I'll get some pics up tomorrow. I'm really happy with it. That's 1 more job off the list.

Infact I think I'll fit my new door card tomorrow.

Think I'm better off leaving the start up issues until I hear back from Ryan

Guest smithy89

Hodge:

Cam Sensor wiring, one wire (the VR+) goes to the Syvecs (whatever pin is configured) and the cam sensor ground (VR-) goes to the same ground as the crank sensor ground (VR -). The other pin for the crank sensor (VR+) goes to the crank sensor input pin on the Syvecs.

Hope that helps.