The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hodge's (The Kraken) Supra build

hodge

Interested to hear more about this clutch from Dane....

Well basically he has recommended the stage 4 clutch as I'm wanting to stay away from rattles and judders etc. the stage 4 is sprung and supports something like 820 ft/lb torque, the stage 5 is unsprung and will hold 925 ft/lb of torque IIRC. He also offered my the option of a custom pressure plate. He did explain the advantages but I didn't fully understand really. Hopefully he will chime in with some more info.

My only issue I think I'll have with the clutch will be pedal stiffness. If its way to stiff then I'll look into upgrading to a hydraulic thrust bearing to release some of the pressure from the pedal. This was on the cards a while ago but put it on the back burner.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interested to hear more about this clutch from Dane....

Well basically he has recommended the stage 4 clutch as I'm wanting to stay away from rattles and judders etc. the stage 4 is sprung and supports something like 820 ft/lb torque, the stage 5 is unsprung and will hold 925 ft/lb of torque IIRC. He also offered my the option of a custom pressure plate. He did explain the advantages but I didn't fully understand really. Hopefully he will chime in with some more.

Our clutches are made by a very experienced company with over 40 years experience in oem and Motorsport.

The main advantaged are, ours are made to order, to your cars spec and / or future spec.

High quality "fully encased" springs, unlike many brands where they are partially encased...

Pressure plates are premium brand ones, which are remanufactured to higher tolerances without the loss of

Reliability.

Where other single discs failed in big power (brands such as ACT/spec/competition clutch), we have been able to make sure that ours hold very well.

I've just ordered my stage 4 clutch from Dane @ DC-Automotive.

Once it arrives I'll stick some pics up and a spec list on it.

Gearbox is coming out next weekend and will be painted black, new seals fitted and then stored away until the engine is built.

More updates very soon.

Managed to spend the day on the car Saturday. Gearbox is out, clutch and flywheel is off.

I've cleaned all the box up and started to paint it black with high temp engine paint. It all looks pretty nice, well until I ran out of paint lol.

I'll hopefully be ordering my pistons and rods next week, so once all the parts are here, then it's a trip down to Chris Wilson to have everything balanced and the block bored out to 87mm.

After the gearbox is painted then I'm wanting the dash panels trimmed in Alcantara. there's a few holes to fill and things I want moved out of sight too. I'm quite excited about all this now, just even for the fact that I can iliminate all the compromises I made on the initial build.

I'll hopefully be ordering my pistons and rods next week, so once all the parts are here, then it's a trip down to Chris Wilson to have everything balanced and the block bored out to 87mm.

Any particular reason you're going to 87 mm bore? Unless there are deep scratches, I was informed that, as 87 is the limit before you need to sleeve the block, it was best to keep as close to 86 as possible.

Any particular reason you're going to 87 mm bore? Unless there are deep scratches, I was informed that, as 87 is the limit before you need to sleeve the block, it was best to keep as close to 86 as possible.

I'm not sure about the bore marks to be honest bud, I'm just erroring on the side of caution incase the bores are oval or damaged at all.

Nice John,

You are going for Mahle 87mm piston, correct. I will go for these too.

Will you finish the white beast before winter?

Yeah going for Mahle 87mm, they seem to be what's being used now. I've read a few articles about the crown design being very good.

I can't see it being finished by the winter. I'm in no hurry really. It will be done when it's done. I don't want to make anymore compromises with the build so if I have to save a little more for the parts I want/need then so be it.

I'm not sure about the bore marks to be honest bud, I'm just erroring on the side of caution incase the bores are oval or damaged at all.

Yeah going for Mahle 87mm, they seem to be what's being used now. I've read a few articles about the crown design being very good.

I can't see it being finished by the winter. I'm in no hurry really. It will be done when it's done. I don't want to make anymore compromises with the build so if I have to save a little more for the parts I want/need then so be it.

Fairy muff, my friend. I'm quite partial to Mahle pistons myself :D I know how frustrating it can be to order parts and have either the wrong ones delivered, or that needs change and the parts are now wrong - so I suppose better to order oversize and ensure things work out.

You're right John. It should be done the right way, and that's not easy if under time pressure.

I want to have mine ready by april next year .. that's fine for me.

Yeah if I can get it finished by April time that would be perfect for me too. But I'll just end up wanting to change other stuff. It seems a never ending circle lol. But I enjoy it so I guess that's all that matters really Luc.

Best of luck with yours bud. Hope it all goes smoothly.

I will watch your build with great interest (as I did for the current 236 page) ;)

I want to get my Supra just the way I want it to be (with the most reliable parts), and then be able to use and enjoy it. Therefore, I won't go for 1000bhp, but keep it as a reasonable street car (although I only do around 2000mls a year).

Unlike you, I will have Darren @ Whifbitz do the works for me ... I don't have your amazing skills to do it myself.

I'm confident that the build should be fine. I did put my shopping list together after having had very long and extensive reads on numerous project build threats (including yours). So fingers crossed for those 800 rhhp.

Cheers

Luc

Just received this Pic last night from Stevo.

A while back I bought Jamie's Veilside mirrors from the black beast, I removed the mirror section and asked Stevo to carbon skin them for me. This is the result. First mirror almost complete. Just a couple of pin holes in the laquer to fill and a flat back and polish.

I'm over the moon with how these look. They'll really set the look of the car off

Edited by hodge (see edit history)

I will watch your build with great interest (as I did for the current 236 page) ;)

I want to get my Supra just the way I want it to be (with the most reliable parts), and then be able to use and enjoy it. Therefore, I won't go for 1000bhp, but keep it as a reasonable street car (although I only do around 2000mls a year).

Unlike you, I will have Darren @ Whifbitz do the works for me ... I don't have your amazing skills to do it myself.

I'm confident that the build should be fine. I did put my shopping list together after having had very long and extensive reads on numerous project build threats (including yours). So fingers crossed for those 800 rhhp.

Cheers

Luc

I really don't think you've got anything to worry about Luc, Darren really knows his stuff so I'm sure you'll have 1 totally reliable monster once it's all finished.

Those mirrors look great mate. So much better in the carbon than before imo.

Cheers John,

I know Darren is a top bloke and a very talented mechanic.

Those mirrors look ace John. I'm not a fan of aftermarket mirrors, but yours look great.

Cheers guys, I'm over the moon with how the mirrors have turned out. There going to look great on the car for sure.

Started to retrim my dash with Alcantara today. I started on the ashtray cos if I messed it up it wouldn't be as expensive lol.

As I got into it, I found it wasn't as hard as I thought. I finished the ashtray and then did the manual gear surround. Before I covered it I removed the cal switches and filled the holes so I could fit them somewhere a little more discrete.

I'm going to do the same with some of the other small holes with switches and LEDs etc, just to give the dash a more smooth and tidy look.

Here's a couple of pics of the finished article.

With the gator refitted.

How it looks in place. I'll start with the main dash panel on Friday morning hopefully.

Just received this Pic last night from Stevo.

A while back I bought Jamie's Veilside mirrors from the black beast, I removed the mirror section and asked Stevo to carbon skin them for me. This is the result. First mirror almost complete. Just a couple of pin holes in the laquer to fill and a flat back and polish.

I'm over the moon with how these look. They'll really set the look of the car off

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g470/Shineypics/BD642DDD-6862-47C4-981C-0C6C4F597982-15980-000014DE4D3781EA.jpg

He is doing my outside handles ;) can't wait looks great job.

Looking good John, are you doing the main dash part around the cd player, clocks etc too? :thumbs:

Yeah, I'm doing all the panels and also my top glovebox gauge pod too, maybe the armrests on the door cards but I'll see how much material I've got left first.

I tried to wrap my dash in Alcantara a couple of years ago, I made a right mess !!

You have done a wonderful job on that panel however, will be stunning

Took me about 2hrs to do the panel and ashtray. I did to be fair expect to make a total balls of it the 1st time but I guess I was lucky :)

Yeah I stripped the pins out for him.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to wrap my dash in Alcantara a couple of years ago, I made a right mess !!

You have done a wonderful job on that panel however, will be stunning

Took me about 2hrs to do the panel and ashtray. I did to be fair expect to make a total balls of it the 1st time but I guess I was lucky :)

Yeah I stripped the pins out for him.