The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hodge's (The Kraken) Supra build

hodge

All these little problems are a pain aint they! i would be ripping my hair out.. Would be lovely if you had a built engine go in this.

Well let's hope it doesn't ever come to that Rob.

John - is the 1.7bar showing on a gauge or a Syvecs log?

My Defi gauge hit 2bar on one run with Ryan but he assured me it was reading waaay over and not to worry :D

That's good to know Dan. I feel a little more at ease now bud, thanks for that :D

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been out in the car again last night for a bit of WOT theropy. Boost feels amazing, BUT, all these irritating little bits are annoying the crap out of me. So I've made the decision to take it off the road until its all done. Even though it's a hoot to drive I still had to force myself to get it out, because of the clutch and exhaust etc etc, and I don't want it to be like that. I want to be itching to get it out every chance I get, and I think that once its all sorted how I want it to feel and sound then that will be the case.

I'm considering pulling the engine and sticking a build bottom end in too as in the long run I'd like a little more boost and I'm not sure if the engine will take it. For what it would cost me for parts, it's worth every penny for piece of mind.

I'll update as I go on though, with lots of pics as usual.

Good to hear you are keeping it mate, Ive kept thinking of getting a new car till i went to suprapod in it, you just need to use them for the love to stay.

Supra FTW, nothing can compare to a quick supra.

I've had a hoot the last couple of days in it. Almost a full tank of fuel gone too lol. I couldnt get enough of it. Once I sort out all these little bits and make it into the car I first set out to build ill be happy.

I'll start sourcing a few engine part once I get paid and it all begins.

Glad to hear that John.

You are right, a build engine gives you plenty of potential, without having to fear every time you floor it through the gears.

Don't get me wrong Luc, it's been a rock solid engine, but I just thing a built short block will finish the car off nicely.

When I set out at the beginning of my build I wanted my perfect supra, and now looking back, this was something I compromised with, and I shouldnt have.

If I strip my block and give it a check over, if all is ok then I'm sure I'll get good money for it anyways so that will help me fund the parts for a built block. While I'm collecting parts for the engine I'll get stuck into all the little bits I can do that won't cost anything like my dash etc.

I've started planning now for the coming months to make the car more, well civilized as well as bombproof, or as near as damn it.

So plans for the rest of the year will consist of:-

Building a forged engine,

I may also go down in power a little so I can use a clutch which doesn't rattle and clunk,

And address the exhaust noise issue.

My sister has kindly agreed to let me build my use her garage to build my new engine so I can leave the car in mine until I'm ready to pull my engine out.

Michel Lane has offered me a shed load of engine parts he has lying around in his lock of FOC (thanks so much mate) and also some ARP head studs and A Clevite engine bearing set for very little money, so things are under way.

Clutch wise, I'm considering going back to a stock flywheel and an RPS single disc clutch and just see how much power it will hold until it slips then back it off a little.

My new veilside mirrors should be all finished in a couple of weeks, as Stevo is carbon wrapping them for me.

I've got some full on Supra love back again guys YEEEEAAAAHHHHH.

Well I'm pleased to say, the cooling issues with the car are now all sorted and I couldn't be happier with how it runs.

The oil cooler ducting has dropped my oil temps 20 degrees to a max reading of 98 degrees.

The biggest problem I had was with the engine temps.

I'm using PHR electric fans, which come from the Lexus IS300 and have a custom fan shroud made to mount them.

What I found was the didn't seem to have the balls to cool my engine enough and I was seeing temps of around 120 degrees sometimes if I was on boost for a long time, which couldn't be good for the engine at all.

Now these fans are used on many big powered Supras in the states with no issues at all, so there must be something I could do to improve the efficiency.

I started off by upgrading all the power cables to larger cable.

Secondly, after a little research is turns out that the IS300 uses 2 different fan motors, a 13 amp motor with 5 blade propellor, and a 10 amp motor with a 7 blade propellor. I tested the fans seperately and found the 5 blade fan flows way more air than the 7 blade fan, and I'm not talking a small amount either. So I swapped out the 7 blade propellor and 10 amp motor for another 13 amp motor and 5 blade propellor. If this didn't work, the next option was a set of SRD fans or even back to viscous again.

I've had the car out at Rising sun car show this weekend and all I can say is WOW, what a difference. On the motorway I saw a coolant temps 76 degrees. Around town it rose to 80 degrees and in traffic it crept up to 90 degrees which is where my fans are set to turn on. The cooling power of these after the upgrades are now amazing. When it reaches 90 degrees it takes 36 seconds for the fans to cool it back down to 80 degrees. Not once did my temps exceed 90 degrees no matter where it was driven or how hard I drove it.

Total result. Now not only do they look the nuts, but there cooling properties and 1st class now.

I'm soooooo pleased its worked. I'd reccomend these fans to anyone, now I know how to get the best out of then.

hey mate

ive been thinking of going the is300 fan route myself,would you have the part number for the 13amp 5 blade fans,and where did you get them from as i hear they are mega money from main dealers

cheers in advance for any help

simon

hey mate

ive been thinking of going the is300 fan route myself,would you have the part number for the 13amp 5 blade fans,and where did you get them from as i hear they are mega money from main dealers

cheers in advance for any help

simon

Hi Simon

I got the fans from an IS300 breakers off eBay. Think they were only about 50 quid each. I havnt for the part numbers unfortunately bud and I can't see them on the motors.

If you go for them then I'd reccomend upgrading the cables to some good 30 amp cable. After sorting the issues with mine, even when im constantly on boost my temps never go above 90 degrees. I've got my fans set to come on at 90 degrees and go off again at 80 degrees and it only takes seconds to cool it 10 degrees. I think I timed it to be 39 seconds iirc. These have to be the best fans out there I'm my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd add my engine build details to my project thread. I know I have another thread about the engine but I'd like to keep all mods done to the car under 1 roof so to speak.

Over the last Couple of months I've came to realize that the Supra I set out to build hasn't turned out as my perfect Supra after all. I've ended up making comppromizes that I thought nessessary which were infact not.

This coupled with me hitting a bit of a learning curve means its stripdown time.

1st on the cards is a built engine.

I've always wanted to build a full engine myself and decided I'd give it a go. Again this was something that was compromised on the original build and everything was upgraded apart from the rods and pistons. Do t get me wrong, the engine has help together perfectly and made 778hp at the steering wheel with plenty left and has never missed a beat. But as I said the engine build is more of a learning curve than anything else really.

So my block spec will be as follows:-

Block rebored, honed and decked.

Good stock crank.

87mm Mahle pistons

BC pro series rods

Clevite bearing set

ARP main bolts

ARP rod bolts

ARP head studs

Full Toyota gasket set

Toyota oil pump

Billet tensioner

New water pump

Titan crank pulley

Stock Toyota flywheel

DC automotive stage 4 clutch (need to chat to Dane a little more about this first)

All the balancing work I.e pistons, rods, crank, flywheel and clutch ill be having done by Chris Wilson. This leaves me all the assembly work, gapping rings and checking tollerences etc etc.

Head

Full port and polish

264 cams

Ferrea valve stem seals

Ferrea dual valve springs and TI retainers

HKS cam pulleys

Whilst the engine is out I'm wanting to get a little work done on the engine bay and I also want the gearbox painted too.

Power goals - I do t really care if I'm totally honest. When the car is dyno'd again, if I gain a little more than so be it. But the whole civilized idea it all that matters to me at present. If I can run the same power, with a nice smooth stock like idle and a quiet tone to the exhaust then I've achieved what I set out to do.

I'm also planning a couple of exterior changes too. I'm liking the idea of a carbontop secret bonnet, having my wheels refurbed with the centres done gloss black, and finally a carbon hatch but I'm not sure on that 1 as yet.

I'm in no big hurry to get this done, as the engine aim going to be cheap I'm going to have to save up my pennies and do it bit by bit.

Edited by hodge (see edit history)

Plans sound good mate all except the carbon bonnet and boot idea imo you have the best bonnet already and carbon bootlids look poo!

Whats the crack with exhaust did you get that sorted?

Not as yet. I've a feeling it's going to be a bit of trial and error with that bud. My goal is to have the car idle like a stock TT. Think it's going to be a combination of silencers, resonators and an exhaust butterfly for low RPM noise. I dont really care about the noise at WOT, it sounds amazing as is but low revs and at idle IMO it sounds terrible. If I can iliminate the idle issue and avoid a noisy rattly clutch then I'm a happy man.

Roger that.

You will have a real beast once finished. ;)

You have the same goal as I have John. I don't want to push my setup into the stratosphere neither.

If I get 800-850 rhhp out of my setup, I'm more than happy. A reliable engine is what counts most for me.

Edited by Luxluc (see edit history)

Roger that.

You will have a real beast once finished. ;)

You have the same goal as I have John. I don't want to push my setup into the stratosphere neither.

If I get 800-850 rhhp out of my setup, I'm more than happy. A reliable engine is what counts most for me.

In my idea world, I want my car to idle and sound like a stock TT at idle, wether this is achievable or not, I don't know, but I'm going to find out.

Sitting there the car looks classy, and IMO wouldn't look out of place being in the company of any Supercar. But once it's started it doesn't sound classy like a Supercar. Just sounds angry. I don't want that. I suppose I'll have to do my best with the mechanical side, the rest is all down to Ryan to make it happen.

Not as yet. I've a feeling it's going to be a bit of trial and error with that bud. My goal is to have the car idle like a stock TT. Think it's going to be a combination of silencers, resonators and an exhaust butterfly for low RPM noise. I dont really care about the noise at WOT, it sounds amazing as is but low revs and at idle IMO it sounds terrible. If I can iliminate the idle issue and avoid a noisy rattly clutch then I'm a happy man.

Il swap ya engines if you want a stock tt idle? :D

Im sure youll get it how you want fella, a bit of trial and error keeps things interesting!

Il swap ya engines if you want a stock tt idle? :D

Im sure youll get it how you want fella, a bit of trial and error keeps things interesting!

I would love to swap but unfortunately your engine doesn't stop you from breathing correctly when it comes onto boost and I think I'll miss that experience ;)