Hodge's (The Kraken) Supra build

hodge

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks awesome!! Is the beast gonna be at JNE this weekend? Be good too finally see it in person

I don't think so mate. Not even sure if I'll make it if I'm honest.

My rebuilt power steering pump arrived from Chris Wilson today, so I'm in the process of painting it ready to go on the car. Hopefully I'll get it fitted on Wednesday so I can have it running on Friday.

Im busy making a new dash for my dash2 display at work tonight. Im hoping to get that finished over the weekend too fingers crossed.

I started on my new dash panel to house my Dash2 display. The issue I had with the old housing was the display wasn't upright enough so I found the display a little hard to read. So, this time I've used a facelift gauge panel because it sits forward towards me a lot further than the Pre-facelift models.

Firstly I ground off the lips around where dials went.

After this was nice and smooth, I made a front panel out of plywood and cut it a little smaller than the dash panel, and put a taper around the edges.

I then screwed the wood into the panel and fibreglassed around the outside.

I did plan on bringing it to work and rubbing it down to get the shape I wanted but forgot it :(

I guess it will have to wait until tomorrow.

I joined the forum after you started the build so have been playing catch up and reading/looking at your post page by page and its amazing how your cars turned out from stock supra which was, lets be fair ok at best to something that's phwaor!! I could see myself causing a accident while driving not paying attention to whats in front while driving just to look at your car. Do you drive it around newcastle? Never seen it before, did see a white supra at ASDA car park few weeks ago from far but very much doubt it was yours and then a white one parked around some flats in gateshead that definitely wasn't yours but was a very nice example but no where nice as yours.

I joined the forum after you started the build so have been playing catch up and reading/looking at your post page by page and its amazing how your cars turned out from stock supra which was, lets be fair ok at best to something that's phwaor!! I could see myself causing a accident while driving not paying attention to whats in front while driving just to look at your car. Do you drive it around newcastle? Never seen it before, did see a white supra at ASDA car park few weeks ago from far but very much doubt it was yours and then a white one parked around some flats in gateshead that definitely wasn't yours but was a very nice example but no where nice as yours.

The cars been off the road for 6 months while I tinkered with it so odds are it wasn't me dude.

Thanks for the kinds words though, it helps making it all worth wild.

More work done on the dash panel tonight. I got it all sanded down and ready to cut the hole for the Dash2 unit.

Here's the template on the panel ready to mark up.

Hole all cut and rubbed down, next stop tomorrow night will be body filler, just to fill in all the imperfections in the fibreglass, then hopefully I'll get a coat of paint on it to see how it looks.

Very nice, liking the oil cooler ducting :thumbs:

How come you cut the complete dash shape out, are you going for a flush mount?

Thanks Wez, yeah I'm very happy with how the ducting has gone, I hoping it drops my oil temps quite a bit.

I going to mount the dash2 flush, I've just body fillered the panel tonight and smoothed it all off. It's just gone into the paint shop at work to be primed. Once I get it back I'm going to fibreglass a wooden board on the back to mount the dash too.

Dash panel is almost finished now. I had them paint it in the paint plant at work. Had it done in two pack paint. The finish is like glass.

I had her running today too but there was a small leak around the where the fitting goes I to the PAS pump and seems ive just been up 28hrs straight I needed to come in the house and relax a little before I started hollucinating lol.

Back to it tomorrow.c with a clear head I think.

28hrs? Em you better have been eating all through that you pillock?

Of course I have ya daft haggis. I finished work at 5am and started on the oats as if I'd just got up. Just about to have some steak n steamed veg ;)

I'm feeling a big loss this week.

Of course I have ya daft haggis. I finished work at 5am and started on the oats as if I'd just got up. Just about to have some steak n steamed veg ;)

I'm feeling a big loss this week.

:rlol: daft haggis nearly spat my tea out reading that.

Good mate, let see what we get tomorrrow?

That has come out exceptionally well.

Should be a lovely addition to the car and make the dash2 look like it belongs in the car as opposed to being stuck on.

It was a little tacky still when I took that pic, but it's perfectly dry this morning. I just need to fibreglass a mounting plate for the dash2 and I'm done and it can be fitted.

Well I'm pleased to say, the cooling issues with the car are now all sorted and I couldn't be happier with how it runs.

The oil cooler ducting has dropped my oil temps 20 degrees to a max reading of 98 degrees.

The biggest problem I had was with the engine temps.

I'm using PHR electric fans, which come from the Lexus IS300 and have a custom fan shroud made to mount them.

What I found was the didn't seem to have the balls to cool my engine enough and I was seeing temps of around 120 degrees sometimes if I was on boost for a long time, which couldn't be good for the engine at all.

Now these fans are used on many big powered Supras in the states with no issues at all, so there must be something I could do to improve the efficiency.

I started off by upgrading all the power cables to larger cable.

Secondly, after a little research is turns out that the IS300 uses 2 different fan motors, a 13 amp motor with 5 blade propellor, and a 10 amp motor with a 7 blade propellor. I tested the fans seperately and found the 5 blade fan flows way more air than the 7 blade fan, and I'm not talking a small amount either. So I swapped out the 7 blade propellor and 10 amp motor for another 13 amp motor and 5 blade propellor. If this didn't work, the next option was a set of SRD fans or even back to viscous again.

I've had the car out at Rising sun car show this weekend and all I can say is WOW, what a difference. On the motorway I saw a coolant temps 76 degrees. Around town it rose to 80 degrees and in traffic it crept up to 90 degrees which is where my fans are set to turn on. The cooling power of these after the upgrades are now amazing. When it reaches 90 degrees it takes 36 seconds for the fans to cool it back down to 80 degrees. Not once did my temps exceed 90 degrees no matter where it was driven or how hard I drove it.

Total result. Now not only do they look the nuts, but there cooling properties and 1st class now.

I'm soooooo pleased its worked. I'd reccomend these fans to anyone, now I know how to get the best out of then.