hodge

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gearbox is all fitted again.

Unfortunately the cradle I got from Michel didn't fit my jack so totally losing the the plot decided to try without.

Here's what I did, and don't laugh.

I lifted the back of the car up so it was level with the front and stuck some axal stands in.

I put the back of the box on the jack just infront of the sump plug, and steadying the box with 1 hand, guiding the box in with the other hand and pumping the jack up with my right foot. Sounds crazy but worked a treat. Once I got the spigot into the clutch, a little wiggle and a push and the box slid straight on.

I'll get everything bolted back up tomorrow and maybe get it fired up again on Thursday to make sure the cam cover isn't still leaking.

The cover it's self seems to be warped to me to be honest. I need to change it at some point anyways as I want to move the -12AN fitting further back so the fitting will clear the turbo better.

Edited by hodge (see edit history)

Cracked on with the car tonight. I wanted to get everything relocated and tidied up before the car goes to the bodyshop.

Ive removed the FPR as its getting relocated below the plenum out of the way, and ive also taken out the brake lines as im fitting white braided lines throughout the car. Most of them will be hidden but the ones you can see I want colour coded

Cracked on with the car tonight. I wanted to get everything relocated and tidied up before the car goes to the bodyshop.

Ive removed the FPR as its getting relocated below the plenum out of the way, and ive also taken out the brake lines as im fitting white braided lines throughout the car. Most of them will be hidden but the ones you can see I want colour coded.

fitting in the master cylinder ready for the braided line.

Then I looked at the relocation of the FPR. The only way in could relocate it was to take the plenum off, so 20 mins later off it came.

Whilst it was off i thought it was best to sort out all the wiring under there and strip back the wiring that wasnt been used and remove it.

So far between the plenum and the ECU loom this is what I have removed.

At close of play tonight the loom looks like this.

My vision for the loom is to get it all compacted up, loom taped and tucked behind the engine mount so theres no loom visable if look under the plenum. if this is possible im not sure without extending every wire but ill keep you all updated.

I wont be working on this tomorrow as im doing the oil pump and front seal on johnnys car but hopefully ill get stuck back into it on sunday.

Getting access to the oil filter later down the line is going to be a tight squeeze, do you have any plans on relocating the filter ?

Filter is ver easy to get to Michel. The plenum sits high enough to just reach under and change it. Having no A/C pump makes it a lot easier too.

Call up anytime bud if you fancy a look around it.

After finishing Johnnys car I cracked on with my own. I've stripped the engine loom out completely a done a full custom job.

Every wire that was not used has been removed along with all the 15 year old insulating tape. I've replaced it with nice new furry loom tape. I'll post some pics up later on. As far as looms go it looks the nuts I recon.

After finishing Johnnys car I cracked on with my own. I've stripped the engine loom out completely a done a full custom job.

Every wire that was not used has been removed along with all the 15 year old insulating tape. I've replaced it with nice new furry loom tape. I'll post some pics up later on. As far as looms go it looks the nuts I recon.

Is this going to look totally different to how it was last time, then when I come to collect mine?

loving this build! spent the last hour reading about it, such a great attention to detail. first dibbs if and when you decide to sell it ;)

This little baby wont be sold in a LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG time. But if I do I believe jamesy id 1st in line lol.

Heres a few pics of the custom loom ive made for the car. all the nessessary wires have been extended enough so when the plenum is in place you cant see the loom under it at all. Well thats the idea anyways.

This is how the loom luched after I removed it from the car.

Then into the kitchen to remove all the excess wiring not required, extend some other wiring and loom tape it all.

All finished and ready to go back in the car. Ive also seperated all the wiring and grouped them into where I need them to go. Final tidying will be once its back in the car.

And this is how the engine bay looks at present. but hopefully not for long.

:blink: you did what !! my god. at least when i bring me car to you so you car play with the engine you will be able to do it with your eyes closed :D

Lol. I can now tell you what connector goes on what sensor just by looking at it, sad or what.

i think ill paint my engine bay.... then you need a holiday john down here :innocent:

Let me finish mine FFS Rob then in on the way.

I've just fitted the loom and it's worked perfectly. The whole thing has gone behind the engine mount. I'm over the moon. I've also relocated the FPR to the side of the engine mount bracket. There was an M6 threaded hole on it which holds the FPR perfectly. I havnt even had to lengthen the fuel lines. Couldn't be happier with it.

I'll post pics tomorrow as I'm getting grief off the wife for living in the garage all the time again lol. GOOD TIMES.

Great work on the loom mate, what you doing with rectangular opening for the exsisting loom?

No mate. I've got the loom entering the cabin under the plenum. The regular hole is getting filled and smoothed over.

I'm wanting no visable wiring at all in the bay.

Heres a few pics of last nights antics.

Quick shot of the cylinder head porting.

Tidied up the remaining wiring and pipework and cleaned everything ready for the loom to be fitted.

loom in and Fuel pressure regulator fitted.

Tonight im going to test fit the plenum to make sure theres enough room to adjust the FPR if needed and I also need to find a place for the map sensor.

6deb432c.jpg

do you ever sleep??

Coming along well chap.

Lol, well on occasions I do haha. The problem is I get all wrapped up in a job and don't like to leave it mid flow. I prefer to have a whole job complete so the next session is something completely new.

Small update today, I've stripped down the idle control valve to clean it, and taken the casing to the powder coaters cos it was a bit of an eyesore in the bay. Injectors will be here very soon and so will my new titanium bolts to bolt the plenum to the head so I'm hopefully going to get the plenum bolted back on at the weekend.

Have you hard mounted that frp to the engine mount?

If so I would at least put a rubber insulator between them to stop vibration but most of all heat. Those engine mounts get very hot, too hot too touch. The fpr won't like that at all and you may get some issues.

Great work though, makes me want to redo mine again. :)

The heat never even crossed my mind TBH Lee. Thanks for the heads up mate. Ill put a thick rubber washer between the bracket and FPR. I've got some reflective heat tape left too so I'll wrap the FPR and thermosleeve the lines.

Yeah, that should do it. Just keep an eye on the fuel pressure. There have been some issues with these fpr's playing up due to heat. There are a couple of threads on supraforums about it.

The heat never even crossed my mind TBH Lee. Thanks for the heads up mate. Ill put a thick rubber washer between the bracket and FPR. I've got some reflective heat tape left too so I'll wrap the FPR and thermosleeve the lines.