The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hodge's (The Kraken) Supra build

hodge

Only 5 days to mapping, I'm getting pretty excited now. Desperate for some boost. I had a little play with a 911 turbo today but with only 0.5 bar of boost it didn't get too exciting :(

I'm getting stuck into the car tomorrow. Engine has now done 500 miles so I'm goi g to change the crappy oil for Royal purple 20w 50 and change the coolant too. I've also got some NGK comp racing plugs to go in too. Couple of other little jobs to do too but hopefully I'll get them all done tomorrow.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only 5 days to mapping, I'm getting pretty excited now. Desperate for some boost.

I'm getting stuck into the car tomorrow. Engine has now done 500 miles so I'm goi g to change the crappy oil for Royal purple 20w 50 and change the coolant too. I've also got some NGK comp racing plugs to go in too. Couple of other little jobs to do too but hopefully I'll get them all done tomorrow.

:ecstatic: Yeah baby!! :cool:

Why are you changing the coolant John?

A couple of reasons really chris,

I've a new -24 fitting for my top rad hose,

Got a bottle of Motcool to go in with the coolant,

And finally just to give it a good flush out.

- - - Updated - - -

:ecstatic: Yeah baby!! :cool:

:D

Not long now mate:D how much did you manage to get the plugs for? I need some for mine- cheapest ive found so far is £25 per plug.

Can't remember Chris, I just went and bought some from the place up the road.

Are you going to AME @ Silvestone for mapping John?

Yeah I'm there Wednesday Luc. Wish me luck cos I'm sh1tting myself lol.

Here's a few pics of yesterdays progress.

Plug cover, coil packs, plugs and cam covers stripped.

Shim gaps were all checked, as I had a concern that Lee.P mentioned. Basically I shimmed the cams in the garage, it was like minus 7. Lee said the gaps will be all wrong once the temps rise. So I wanted to check them all before the car was mapped.

All the intake side were still exactly 0.2 apart from shim 1 cylinder 1 which was 0.21, and the exhaust side were still all 0.3, again apart from shim 1 cylinder 1 which was 0.32. Thought this was a little weird, seems both the opposite shims were the only ones that had changed. Didn't deem it nessessary to change them.

After all the shims were checked, I fitted my NGK racing plugs back in. Here's a pic of the 2 plugs side by side so you can see the difference.

I dropped the oil, and just as the last oil change 300 miles ago, it was perfectly clean.

Oil filter was also clean.

I fitted a new power enterprise filter.

Just under 12ltrs of Royal purple oil.

I dropped all the coolant next, replaced the damaged fitting on the top rad pipe added this, before I put coolant in.

I saw good results with it last year and it reduced my temps by about 10 degrees whilst driving.

Finally it all went back together and fired it up to bleed the engine off with my magical Internet funnel. I bought this a couple of years ago from eBay for about 30 quid and it's the best thing ever for bleeding off your engine. Basically it's a sealed funnel that attaches to you rad and you put coolant in it, so when the bubbles come out, coolant goes in, so the engine bleeds off very efficiently. I took a bit of a video of it I'll post later on today.

I can't see a single plate clutch holding that sort of power if I'm honest, hope I'm wrong though and good luck Wednesday mate.

Me either Jamie, but Dane assures me it will take some decent torque so we'll see. If its no good then I'll have to upgrade it and take it back for more boost.

Good luck Wednesday John, hope all goes well. :)

+1 to that, yeah best of luck John, hope the mapping goes well :)

Thanks guys, much appreciated, it really is.

I am concerned about the clutch, but I love how it performs, so want to test it and see if it does what it says on the tin. It may hold, it may not, but if I don't try it, I'll never know. Fingers crossed really.

Ryan can always reduce the torque and bring out some nice top end figures. ;)

Exactly,

John, take it easy and Ryan knows very well what he's doing too, so thats also a

Hell of a difference. Like i said, just keep an eye on the torque etc and dont take any unneccesary risks if the clutch

Starts acting up. If it doesnt take the power, we will just sort something else out.

I'm here to help, as you know!

Exactly,

John, take it easy and Ryan knows very well what he's doing too, so thats also a

Hell of a difference. Like i said, just keep an eye on the torque etc and dont take any unneccesary risks if the clutch

Starts acting up. If it doesnt take the power, we will just sort something else out.

I'm here to help, as you know!

I really appreciate that Dane, thanks mate. Your customer service rocks.

Good Luck John, will be watching this thread with Interest on Wednesday :D

Thanks fitz :)

Ryan can always reduce the torque and bring out some nice top end figures. ;)

I know Luc, the car is in the best hands possible and the ECU is the best out there. No idea why I'm worried I just am. Hardly slept last night. A million things running through my mind, trying to remember if I've done everything, when I know fine well I have. Just need a bit of good luck this year cos the early stages of the year have been the worst ever.

Don't stress yourself. I had the same 2 weeks ago. I was thinking like : I hope everything is ok, all bolts tightened, ...

The Syvecs ECU is amazing...monitors everything you need.

Don't bother. Your meticulous work will proof itself soon. ;)

Nah, I reckon more like 932rhhp... :D

Good luck for the mapping matey. I'll be keeping an eye too! :)

Can't see it making that much on this clutch but who knows..

I'll update tomorrow as I go on. Bossco is going down with me, were leaving at 5am. It's a 4hr drive and coming back the same day so it's going to be a long ass day.