The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hodge's (The Kraken) Supra build

hodge

I'm running the RPS triple carbon in my Supra now. I must say : It's amazing.

It drives way better than my RPS 6 puck single clutch I had before. I was a little bit sceptic too ... but I can only recommend it. It's very very user friendly.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It drives way better than my RPS 6 puck single clutch I had before. I was a little bit sceptic too ... but I can only recommend it. It's very very user friendly.

I've drove a a supra with an RPS 6 puck, and hated it. The pedal stiffness was ridiculous, I've got huge legs and still found it heavy after a while. My biggest gripe with the RPS triple, as all other multi-disc clutches is the noise. They still rattle, maybe less than others but rattle none the less.

The clutch I have in feels and drives perfectly. So I'm going to give it a blast and see how much power it will hold. If its not upto what it says on the tin so to speak, then so be it, and I'll have to bite the bullet and get an RPS triple and go back down to have it mapped again. YES, I know I could end up paying twice to have the car mapped if the clutch fails, but I'm a strong believer in trying new things, I have done throughout the build, some have turned out to be an inovation, some I have crashed and burned and it's cost me more to change it all over again. I really want to take a chance on this clutch cos like I said if feels and drives great and most importantly, it's totally silent. I'd have thought 765 ft/lb should be good for 900 whp, seems the Syvecs has the facility to cap the torque, I can't see it being an issue. As I've said in 1 of my previous posts my GT42 setup made 778 whp and 631 ft/lb so the ratios between that and around 900 whp are good. Unless I'm missing something here, but I guess only time will tell.

Oh brilliant, that'll be exactly what I'm looking for, as not sure if I like the sound of a RPS twin or triple plate, was it ££££, if you don't mind could you PM me a price, so i can budget for it in the future, but if you don't want to mate I completely understand :)

Lets see how the clutch hold out first, I wouldn't want to recommend something that's not fit for purpose, I'd rather be the test subject first and report back my results and you can make your own decisions, if you know what I mean bud.

Any pics from yesterday then, John? I know it's early but pics are GOOOOOOD! :D

As an aside, I find this interesting because I find my RPS twin plate to be the exact opposite of user-friendly. It can handle the power just fine and it's rifle bolt sharp when it counts but it's so binary when trying to set off that it's a struggle to do anything other than either a full bore, Santa Pod style tyre-smoking start or else crawl away from a standstill like your grandmother might... :eek: In fact I think of it like an extra security feature - if anyone tried to drive off in my car they are GUARANTEED to stall!!

As an aside, I find this interesting because I find my RPS twin plate to be the exact opposite of user-friendly. It can handle the power just fine and it's rifle bolt sharp when it counts but it's so binary when trying to set off that it's a struggle to do anything other than either a full bore, Santa Pod style tyre-smoking start or else crawl away from a standstill like your grandmother might... :eek: In fact I think of it like an extra security feature - if anyone tried to drive off in my car they are GUARANTEED to stall!!

That's suprising. I had the same discussion with Jamie (P) last week. He finds the RPS triple carbon he had on his black Supra also very user friendly.

Yesterday, I asked my wife to get down the road and pass by at normal speed as i wanted to hear the exhaust sound myself from the outside.

Nadja drove off perfectly, without problems although she had never driven it with the triple C before.

That's suprising. I had the same discussion with Jamie (P) last week. He finds the RPS triple carbon he had on his black Supra also very user friendly.

Yesterday, I asked my wife to get down the road and pass by at normal speed as i wanted to hear the exhaust sound myself from the outside.

Nadja drove off perfectly, without problems although she had never driven it with the triple C before.

Colour me confused then... :conf: Maybe there's a difference between the triple- and twin-plates? :shrug: I chose my clutch based on its ability to hold the power and the fact that all the reviews said the pedal feel was "stock + 10%". My reasoning was half right... :rolleyes:

Maybe my perception of what "stock" felt like is different to everyone else's because my clutch is SERIOUSLY hard to live with. Characterful, but no easy ride in town.

Lets see how the clutch hold out first, I wouldn't want to recommend something that's not fit for purpose, I'd rather be the test subject first and report back my results and you can make your own decisions, if you know what I mean bud.

Okay mate no worries, I look forward to hearing about it a few months down the line hopefully :)

Colour me confused then... :conf: Maybe there's a difference between the triple- and twin-plates? :shrug: I chose my clutch based on its ability to hold the power and the fact that all the reviews said the pedal feel was "stock + 10%". My reasoning was half right... :rolleyes:

Maybe my perception of what "stock" felt like is different to everyone else's because my clutch is SERIOUSLY hard to live with. Characterful, but no easy ride in town.

Should have brought an auto! :D

Strangely, The RPS triple is a lot more user friendly than the RPS twin I found.

No idea mate, I found the twin pretty good, a little snatchy as Dave said, but the triple was much better, very smooth and light.

The car is looking lovely BTW :)

Thanks Bud. I'm hoping I can see some decent power with my clutch, if not ill be going for an RPS triple I guess.

I have the rps twin and totally agree. The car was so much better when I had the HKS Twin but I was tearing through them in 2000 miles so changed. Is the triple really that much better / more user friendly? And worth the change from the twin?

I have the rps twin and totally agree. The car was so much better when I had the HKS Twin but I was tearing through them in 2000 miles so changed. Is the triple really that much better / more user friendly? And worth the change from the twin?

How much torque was the HKS rated too. That sounds a bit strange.