The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hodge's (The Kraken) Supra build

hodge

Had some spare time at work tonight, so I took my top glovebox panel in it retrim it.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g470/Shineypics/AD9C1DDB-FCC4-401A-80D1-F45398212C1F-2675-000002619CD6391A.jpg

Here's how it starts out.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g470/Shineypics/65CF0EF1-CF66-4A41-9084-7D05938E3C8C-2675-00000261A7E94E18.jpg

I rubbed down the panel after removing the gauges, just to make sure there's no high spots.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g470/Shineypics/318A4150-523B-4831-82C4-483EF0C49AD1-2675-0000028CDA8494F6.jpg

Here we go, all done :D

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g470/Shineypics/02943815-7269-46EF-8AF4-B7271042467A-2675-0000028CE1E5BF98.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g470/Shineypics/1F5BE310-AD98-4F1D-BD93-FB44B67348D9-2675-0000028CE766290E.jpg

Got everything nice and tucked in at the back too.

I'll get it fitted tomorrow and see how it looks.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g470/Shineypics/37E5EB6E-63D6-4234-BCAA-4E5E7BAE8162-2675-0000028CECCCFD74.jpg

i expect this was the hardest part to get done with the raised parts for the dials, i have started mine and wow the auto gear suround was a killer,hats off to you my friend

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i expect this was the hardest part to get done with the raised parts for the dials, i have started mine and wow the auto gear suround was a killer,hats off to you my friend

The gear surround is the easiest part I thought.the ignition panel was a bit of a nightmare as was this gauge pod.

I've got the pod fitted now, and I'm not sure if it looks out of place. I'll see of it grows on me. If not, I'll pull it off and recover it in black Alcantara.

The gear surround is the easiest part I thought.the ignition panel was a bit of a nightmare as was this gauge pod.

I've got the pod fitted now, and I'm not sure if it looks out of place. I'll see of it grows on me. If not, I'll pull it off and recover it in black Alcantara.

but i have a auto mate i looked at the maunal and that would be easy, but still great work hodge and thanks for pointing me the right way

but i have a auto mate i looked at the maunal and that would be easy, but still great work hodge and thanks for pointing me the right way

Ahhh, I forgot about the extra lump the auto surround had.

This stuff is pretty pliable and you can pull and stretch it quite a lot, you should be fine with it.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I see why your unsure. I think if you done the other surrounds parts it would look like it was meant to be there? I reckon because it has other un touched components next to each side it looks a bit lonely. It's just getting it right so it has sooth lines I spose.

Does look nice though!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I see why your unsure. I think if you done the other surrounds parts it would look like it was meant to be there? I reckon because it has other un touched components next to each side it looks a bit lonely. It's just getting it right so it has sooth lines I spose.

Does look nice though!

I like it, it breaks the dash up nicely, i think if more parts are done like the lower glovebox for example you run the risk of it being too in your face.

Think I'm going to redo it black. It doesn't reply look like its ment to be there, and that's the whole look I like. I don't want stuff standing out and in your face. If you know what I mean.

Things are now moving along on the engine build front.

I now have:-

A bare block

Crank

Clevite bearing set

ARP main studs

New Toyota oil pump

Just ordered a set of BC 625+ pro series rods from Dane at DC automotive, who is also supplying my custom clutch/pressure plate. Massive thanks to Dane for doing me an awesome price on the rods and clutch. Out priced everyone else by quite a margine.

I'm going to ring Paul Whiffin tomorrow to order a set of 87mm Mahle pistons.

Still need to get:-

a stock low mileage 6speed flywheel,

Stock engine gasket kit,

After this were good to go.

I'm taking a road trip to Chris Wilson's place to have, pistons, rods, crank, clutch and flywheel balanced. Engine rebored and decked. He's also going to gap the rings for me whilst everything is there, which will save me hours of work.

I'm not in a huge hurry, but am aiming to have the engine built back up and in the car by Xmas time.

I've also got plans for the engine loom too. That will all be stripped back down and I want to incorporate all the Syvecs sensors into the stock loom and have the Syvecs connector fitted to the end to make it a total plug and play custom loom. This will remove a lot of the unneeded clutter of wiring that's stuffed in the passanger footwell. I know it can't be seen but it drives me nuts, just knowing its there.

I've also got plans for the engine loom too. That will all be stripped back down and I want to incorporate all the Syvecs sensors into the stock loom and have the Syvecs connector fitted to the end to make it a total plug and play custom loom. This will remove a lot of the unneeded clutter of wiring that's stuffed in the passanger footwell. I know it can't be seen but it drives me nuts, just knowing its there.

Please take measurements, pictures and do wiring diagrams, because this is something I think a lot of people will be interested in (maybe even on an exchange basis?).

Please take measurements, pictures and do wiring diagrams, because this is something I think a lot of people will be interested in (maybe even on an exchange basis?).

Most of the loom is done already Andrew. When I did the initial build, I stripped all the unwanted wiring back to the ECU. I just need to remove the loom tape (which will be a nightmare), and run the sensor wired through it, as well as swap the plugs over, although I may ask Ryan to do the plug :)

I did Ibrars engine loom for him the same way, with all the sensors inside, looked very tidy indeed once it was done.

Most of the loom is done already Andrew. When I did the initial build, I stripped all the unwanted wiring back to the ECU. I just need to remove the loom tape (which will be a nightmare), and run the sensor wired through it, as well as swap the plugs over, although I may ask Ryan to do the plug :)

I did Ibrars engine loom for him the same way, with all the sensors inside, looked very tidy indeed once it was done.

My Supra was the first VVTi to have the Syvecs ECU fitted (known as Solaris back then!). Ryan did it and his OCD - which, for the record I share - kicked in and he made the unit fit in a plug & play style - read here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?170707-Going-Solaris-(ECU)

Edited by SteveR
added 2nd image (see edit history)

My Supra was the first VVTi to have the Syvecs ECU fitted (known as Solaris back then!). Ryan did it and his OCD - which, for the record I share - kicked in and he made the unit fit in a plug & play style - read here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?170707-Going-Solaris-(ECU)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a346/Fletchy/Wiring004-1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a346/Fletchy/Wiring003-1.jpg

Just looked through that Steve, Ryan really does know his stuff. He's probably forgot more than I know about this sort of stuff lol.

At present I have a plug and play adaptor like yourself, but I'm wanting to remove the stock ECU plug from the Toyota loom and fit the Syvecs plug direct to the loom, which will iliminate the plug and play harness adaptor. I think Jamie had it done on his loom, and I know Ibrars is like that now too.

I would change the triple gauge pod on the passenger airbag side John. The grey looks a little bit on the wrong place.

Regarding the pistons, I was planning on going for the 86.5mm Mahle pistons. This will give margin in case of an eventual re bore if needed, as 87mm is the max bore for the block (as I got told). What is the main difference of 86.5 vs 87mm?

Just looked through that Steve, Ryan really does know his stuff. He's probably forgot more than I know about this sort of stuff lol.

At present I have a plug and play adaptor like yourself, but I'm wanting to remove the stock ECU plug from the Toyota loom and fit the Syvecs plug direct to the loom, which will iliminate the plug and play harness adaptor. I think Jamie had it done on his loom, and I know Ibrars is like that now too.

Aha I see what you mean. I guess it's the tidiest way of doing things, if you are certain you will never change ECU? :)

When I binned the AEM ECU that was in my car previously, some people thought I was mental - now Syvecs is THE unit to have. What it'll be in 5~!0 years time, who knows.

I like this thread BTW, I only spotted it recently and am SLOWLY making my way from page 1 to this point, reading all the stuff you've done. I'm considering pulling my Supra apart and rebuilding it piece by pice. It doesn't need it, not by a long shot, but I want it to be better than it was out of the factory.

I would change the triple gauge pod on the passenger airbag side John. The grey looks a little bit on the wrong place.

Regarding the pistons, I was planning on going for the 86.5mm Mahle pistons. This will give margin in case of an eventual re bore if needed, as 87mm is the max bore for the block (as I got told). What is the main difference of 86.5 vs 87mm?

There's no advantage at all really Luc, I'm just trying to cover every angle really. I don't want to get the pistons at 86.5mm and find the bores are too damages/oval and need to be bored to 87mm. I'd rather just go for the bigger size to save me a heartache really.

Aha I see what you mean. I guess it's the tidiest way of doing things, if you are certain you will never change ECU? :)

When I binned the AEM ECU that was in my car previously, some people thought I was mental - now Syvecs is THE unit to have. What it'll be in 5~!0 years time, who knows.

I like this thread BTW, I only spotted it recently and am SLOWLY making my way from page 1 to this point, reading all the stuff you've done. I'm considering pulling my Supra apart and rebuilding it piece by pice. It doesn't need it, not by a long shot, but I want it to be better than it was out of the factory.

Totally agree about the Syvecs, it is by far the best ECU out there. The thing I like most is that it is always being improved with software updates to make it that little better. There's so many features that I havnt got set up as yet, even from my last Dyno session. Think I'll end up booking Ryan for a weekend to do it all for me. Well worth it though. It just makes the car that little bit, well, more!!!