The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hodge's (The Kraken) Supra build

hodge

It used to go in fine but for some reason now it won't.

How do you adjust them???

what clutch have you got?

I am having a nightmare of a time with my southbend clutch. we also had challenges getting it into 1st and specially reverse, a new slave cylinder managed to sort that out. Now I am left with another problem where the clutch overheats in traffic and starts to slip.....

and this is from a clutch that has done less than 2000miles

waiting for LeeP to have a proper look at what is going on - certainly dont expect these issues with a brand new clutch.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am having a nightmare of a time with my southbend clutch. we also had challenges getting it into 1st and specially reverse, a new slave cylinder managed to sort that out. Now I am left with another problem where the clutch overheats in traffic and starts to slip.....

waiting for LeeP to have a proper look at what is going on - certainly dont expect these issues with a brand new clutch.

I once had the same problem. it was the clutch that had to be adjust abit. there was not much distance from the point where you push the clutch and when you remove the foot. you can adjust that by pulling the screw out that stoppes the clutch pedal ,

it was slipping when it got hot. i only had to touch the pedal abit and it slipped. but no longer

You only need to worry about the clutch pedal adjustment once the car us running. You have to be careful how far you adjust it as you could kill the thrust washers in the block. Make sure there is free play in the top of the pedal and never start the car with the clutch down.

Hi Lee,

I don't understand what you mean about free play on top of the pedal? How do I check that?

what southbend you got dude? iv got one in mine, i find it heavy, and also a nightmare at biting point, it just rattles, clunks, and sounds if its ready to fall out the box. :(

what southbend you got dude? iv got one in mine, i find it heavy, and also a nightmare at biting point, it just rattles, clunks, and sounds if its ready to fall out the box. :(

OFE Series Stage 3, I dont find it heavy but it sometimes vibrates at biting point. no other clunks or noises. Until I get to the bottom of why I am having issues with it, I wont be recommending these clutches to anyone. Infact - I should have just gone with one of Whitbitz's offering.

I once had the same problem. it was the clutch that had to be adjust abit. there was not much distance from the point where you push the clutch and when you remove the foot. you can adjust that by pulling the screw out that stoppes the clutch pedal ,

it was slipping when it got hot. i only had to touch the pedal abit and it slipped. but no longer

did you stop it from slipping by adjusting the screw?

Edited by imi (see edit history)

Mine is a stage 2, I am pleased with it except that it's difficult to get into reverse some times.

The pedal feels about 20% heavier then stock just like they advertise, I do not notice anything abnormal about it.

Gear changes feel lighter, I am concerned because I did not use V160 Toyota Oil instead I used Oil Man's recommendation I am a bit paranoid actually as the oil that came out of the gear box is much thicker then what I replaced it with. Oil man told me though that’s because the oil that was in is old and old oil thickens.

I've got an Ogura Twin plate in. I've never felt a clutch so light in my life, it's unreal. It's even lighter than my little punto. I was concerned it that it was far to light, but I spoke to Chris Wilson about it and he told me multipal plate clutches were much lighter than singles. Hr has a triple plate in his skyline and his wife drives it without issues.

I don't know, there's just something doesn't seem right with it. I can't even find the Position for it to go into. Think I need to investigate under the car a little incase there's an issue with the cradle or something of the like.

Gears are now sorted. Big thanks to Lee for his help.

I've started to prepare the engine to prime the oilways and to check for leaks. Turbo heat shield is off, I've removed the plugs and coilpacks, disconnected the igniter, and the car has no ECU in as yet. So tomorrow I'll fill it with oil and turn the key to make sure everything is spinning right and to fill all the oilways.

I spoke to Ryan today and I should have the Syvecs with me by Saturday. So the following Saturday will be fire up day as long as all goes well tomorrow.

Ryan is loading a base map onto the Syvecs for me, and will remote access my laptop from his house when I start the car so he can fine tune the start up and het it running without having to come up. I didn't believe him when he told me he could do that. Now that's some serious advances tech shit lol. Well I was impressed anyway haha.

OFE Series Stage 3, I dont find it heavy but it sometimes vibrates at biting point. no other clunks or noises. Until I get to the bottom of why I am having issues with it, I wont be recommending these clutches to anyone. Infact - I should have just gone with one of Whitbitz's offering.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5173/5428038518_280f7cdbc1_z.jpg

did you stop it from slipping by adjusting the screw?

Time after time i hear of people having nightmares with these centerforce clutches, i always try and put people off them, sh1t clutch imo.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

I am cracking up at the thought of Ryan tuning your car from his home. Next thing he will be able to do it via Iphone whilst waiting in line at Mc Donald’s..! hahah

Well done for getting the clutch into gear, the drums are beating almost show time...! ;-)

Gears are now sorted. Big thanks to Lee for his help.

I've started to prepare the engine to prime the oilways and to check for leaks. Turbo heat shield is off, I've removed the plugs and coilpacks, disconnected the igniter, and the car has no ECU in as yet. So tomorrow I'll fill it with oil and turn the key to make sure everything is spinning right and to fill all the oilways.

I spoke to Ryan today and I should have the Syvecs with me by Saturday. So the following Saturday will be fire up day as long as all goes well tomorrow.

Ryan is loading a base map onto the Syvecs for me, and will remote access my laptop from his house when I start the car so he can fine tune the start up and het it running without having to come up. I didn't believe him when he told me he could do that. Now that's some serious advances tech $#@! lol. Well I was impressed anyway haha.

nice bet you cant wait now mate and the summer will start soon..

what was wrong with your gears then /?

Ryan what you using to dial into hodges laptop? I'll need this on mine when the time comes if Iv got any problems?

Easiest is remoteassistance which is part of windows but the s6 can be just plugged into router and port forwarded to me.

Ryan

Easiest is remoteassistance which is part of windows but the s6 can be just plugged into router and port forwarded to me.

Ryan

Fantastic. Using remote assistance with work just now. Result. Router is easy enough also. Cool cheers

nice bet you cant wait now mate and the summer will start soon..

what was wrong with your gears then /?

It turned out to be the tolerance of the hole in the centre of the short shifter was so tight the short shift was catching the side of the bore before it could engage reverse. I must have only moved it over 20 thou max and it went in. I'm still a little unsure about 5th gear though as it doesn't see to go in as far as other gears but I won't know until it's running really.

I'm also still having issues with the clutch. I'm not sure if the slave cylinder is goosed. I'm going to give it a huge bleed over the weekend an see if it's any better but again I won't really know til the cars running and I select gears if it's engaging and disengaging correctly.

Time after time i hear of people having nightmares with these centerforce clutches, i always try and put people off them, sh1t clutch imo.

i got suckered into all the positive posts around this clutch on the forum...

should have just listened to whifbitz..... :(

yes it stopped slipping . cuz the adjustment screw that stoppes the pedal was to far in. hard to explain.

Brazil.

try to luck at your clutch pedal underneath. and you will see what i mean.

so does the pedal need to be lowered or raised in order to stop it slipping?