Hodge's (The Kraken) Supra build

hodge

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Diff arrived today, massive thanks to DARRET for supplying it. I've gone for a large casing pre-facelift LSD diff. I spoke to jamieP at length about diffs, and not wanting to make any compromise he suggested I go for this diff as it's a lot stronger and larger than a facelift one.

I can see it being a long night tonight as this diff weighs a bloody ton so god knows how I'm going to lift it up into the car and bolt it into place. Bosscos on his way over to give me a hand. It's got to weigh as much as the gearbox itself, I was shocked to be honest, that it is so heavy.

Plenty of pics coming soon guys.

Hopefully I'll get the diff and prop on tonight, and then I can get the crank pulley bolt tightened up correctly.

That's 1 stunning engine bay mate. Love the idea of fitting the TB 90 degrees out so the pulley is on the top. I never thought of doing that. I'd have put the TB on so the wheel was at the bottom so the cable wasn't visable at all. Shame cos I've got the TB cable fitted now n had to drill the side of the plenum to secure it.

Yeah, I've always thought that mine looks messy. I think it was function over form - I seem to remember that the cable wasn't long enough otherwise. Thanks for the compliment though (wasn't my intention to take your thread off-topic, just to show the alloy PS tank) - but I'm sure that you can pick quite a few of the details & things that I want to refine :p

Great progress Hodge, such attention to detail!

Nice one dude, they are not to bad to fit, i helped (watched:d) Lee change mine and he put it on a trolley jack and lifted it in and out of place with that, never took him long.

Yep it can be done as a one-man job. Fitted mine using a couple of blocks of wood and a trolley jack. Only took about 30 mins to get it all in and all torqued up :)

All done for the night.

Diff is in. I was expecting a nightmare but it wasn't that hard to be honest. As said above I put it onto a trolley jack and Bossco lifted it into place whilst I bolted it up. Piece of cake really. I read somewhere that I would need driveshafts and TT hubs but both driveshafts bolted straight to the diff so bonus there.

Prop is in place, so is the prop guards and heatshield. Everything moved nicely.

I've earthed the 2 small earth straps that attach to the stock plenum also tonight, just to help prevent anything silly happening to the loom.

I started to plumb in the PAS resevior bur I've ran out of 18mm hose. I'll get some Saturday when I get the mikalor clamps for my turbo intake pipe.

I'll stick some pics up tomorrow, it's sleep time now.

I saw this yesterday over @ John's. To attention to detail is just staggering, almost to a point where therapy might be needed :)

It's not me that Ned the theropy Johnny it's everyone else who doesn't have this much attention to detail. I'm normal mate, honest.

A few diff install pics.

new 6 speed Diff.

Old diff out and a comparision with the 2 lying together.

Diff installed.

next to go on was the rear prop section, prop guard and heatshield.

I gave the diff a clean before I put it in mate. Nothing major though, just cleaned the crap off. Its going to get filthy in no time at all anyway.

I want some pleasure out of the car first before I drop the subframes, so that wont happen for a while yet.

When the come off ill blast and powdercoat them and fit new poly bushes but like i said though it wont be for a while yet.