The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dan's Supra Project

dandan

Where from Dan? :)

I'll take a look through all my receipts to double check but I reckon it was an opportunist Ebay buy I randomly stumbled across.

Dan i think your wastegate entry back into the main system is a text book example of how it should be done, nice to see your putting some thought and research into this build :D

Cheers Paul, I appreciate the comments :) I certainly don't want to be doing it twice so it had better be right first time around!

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the rest of it mocked up but I'll wait to get anything welded until the downpipe, midpipe and exhaust are finished and welded.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These pics are mainly for Paul to show how the manifold matches up to the stock exhaust manifold gasket. It's hard to gain anything particularly useful as it's difficult to show exactly how the gasket compares to the manifold - the multilayers of the gasket make it a little tricky to photograph. I'd say the manifold ports are approx 1mm larger in diameter than the gasket.

I didn't do a massive amount of work here - the ports were well reasonably shaped and matched up pretty good "as it came". All I did was smooth them out and a little tweaking here and there. I wouldn't have been happy fitting it without any fettling at all but then I'd probably be the same with any manifold unless it was perfect. :)

CIMG2730a.jpg

CIMG2729a.jpg

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

I took a couple of photos of the wastegate outlet area from the manifold. I layed a steel rule on top of the outlet flange to give an idea of the actual size....

As you can see there's plenty room for a large diameter port. This one necks down to 42-43mm at the narrowest point.

CIMG2734a.JPG

CIMG2739a.JPG

CIMG2741a.JPG

A final group of up close manifold photos for the "interested in the detail" people out there! There's some dust and bits of cartridge roll splattered around in there but you get the general idea. :D

Only job left to do now is tap the hole for the thermocouple(s) and then it's ready for ceramic coating.

Ports 1-3

Ports 4-6

Port 1

Port 2

Port 3

Port 4

Port 5

Port 6

I got the downpipe back today with the flex welded into place and the 4" V band on the lower end. I also had the wastegate parts tacked up so that allowed me to check how it all fits together.

All that needs doing on this now is to get the O2 boss positions finalized and get the wastegate re-entry pipe welded onto the downpipe.

CIMG2754a.JPG

CIMG2764a.JPG

CIMG2762a.jpg

Those are the best pics I've seen of a wastegate outlet plumbed into a downpipe on this site, nice work! :thumbs:

dan this is amazin! id love to be able to do all this kinda stuff...and have all the money and time of course lol

Thank you fellas, I appreciate the comments.

It would certainly be way way easier to go with a simple screamer pipe and call it a day! Unfortunately I'm going to need it quieter than that will allow so it's a case of doing the best job possible with the recirculating setup.

hey Gaz i've allready told him that lets not give him to much praise or he'll get complacent and start posting up cr*p :D

Cheers Paul! lol

The intercooler pipes now just need tapping and they'll be ready for powder coating (or painting). This is a pic of the ones that needed bosses/flanges welding on; the rest are plain.

There are bosses welded into place for various temperature and water injection locations. The large flange is for the Tial blow off valve.

CIMG2759a.JPG

CIMG2761a.JPG

Great work Dan, as already mentioned that wastegate pipework looks spot on, good job :thumbs:

Not sure if its already been asked but are you doing the welding yourself or marking it up and having it welded by someone else?

Cheers Wes - hopefully all the downpipe, wastegate and exhaust stuff will be 100% complete by the middle of this week. I'm just sorting out a different exhaust at the mo (replacing the Nur Spec with something quieter) and making sure the downpipe and midpipe fit is perfect. There's no room for error with the wastegate piping as the flex is pretty stiff and the V bands faces need to be perfectly square.....hence the midpipe alignment needing to be spot on before finishing the wastegate pipe welding.

I'm not doing any of the welding myself. I can't do aluminium welding at all and the chap doing the aluminium stuff is very good and was happy to do the stainless for me as well so....I'm doing none :)

This is a nice example of his aluminium welding especially when you consider that I chopped the top off with a 4" angle grinder and the cut was rough and about 4mm wide all around :D

CIMG2768a.jpg

CIMG2755a.jpg

CIMG2756a.jpg

CIMG2769a.JPG

CIMG2780a.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I also fitted my new ancillary belt tensioner and damper parts.

And then I started planning where to fit the exhaust gas temperature probes. This is the position I'm thinking for cylinder six and I will probably also drill and tap the manifold in the cylinder one area as well (although that thermocouple will come in from underneath by the thermostat housing in order to clear the studs and nuts holding the manifold to the head)

The thermocouple probe I'm fitting is an inconel sheathed K type that contains two individual thermocouples. This makes life easy for getting a probe in place for both a standalone ecu and a gauge in the car....plus both will be reading from the same place :thumbs:

CIMG2813a.jpg

CIMG2808a.jpg

CIMG2829a.JPG