The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Internet speeds

RobD

I was with Virgin for 2 years and i hated it, must just be my area but it was crap. Worst ISP i've had lol. Wish i lived near some of you guys because by the looks of it you actually get what they say you should. My mate has it aswell and (if he ever manages to get it to work in the first place) cuts out on him all the time. I had 20 Meg Virgin and couldnt even Host a match on Gears Of War without it being unbareably laggy. God i hate living near Great Yarmouth :( I'm with BT now with the HUB and its perfect all the time, Virgin Exchanges up my way must be either shit or full to the brim :p

I was with Virgin for 2 years and i hated it, must just be my area but it was crap. Worst ISP i've had lol. Wish i lived near some of you guys because by the looks of it you actually get what they say you should. My mate has it aswell and (if he ever manages to get it to work in the first place) cuts out on him all the time. I had 20 Meg Virgin and couldnt even Host a match on Gears Of War without it being unbareably laggy. God i hate living near Great Yarmouth :( I'm with BT now with the HUB and its perfect all the time, Virgin Exchanges up my way must be either shit or full to the brim :p

Sounds like you had virginmedia.net broadband through the phone line. That service is absolutely terrible. Nothing but complaints for the service and the customer service.

We are on about cable broadband ;)

Virgin 10mb so I supposed that's ok. The throttling at peak times annoys the shit out of me though. I download half a film and it gets capped to a 2mb equivalent :(

I had the 20mb when it first came out for £30 a month, but after 12 months, they put it up to £37. Thats just too much for broadband, so I went down to the 10mb package.

I'm thinking of binning sky though and getting the whole package from Virgin. Then I should be able to have the 20mb connection with the HD TV for roughly the same as what I'm paying now.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/591654685.png

Virgin 10mb so I supposed that's ok. The throttling at peak times annoys the shit out of me though. I download half a film and it gets capped to a 2mb equivalent :(

I had the 20mb when it first came out for £30 a month, but after 12 months, they put it up to £37. Thats just too much for broadband, so I went down to the 10mb package.

I'm thinking of binning sky though and getting the whole package from Virgin. Then I should be able to have the 20mb connection with the HD TV for roughly the same as what I'm paying now.

The Virgin pricing really comes into its own as a package. At the moment i pay £20 in total. That gets me phone with evening and weekends free, 10mb broadband and the small TV package.

I think its a bargain.

Sounds like you had virginmedia.net broadband through the phone line. That service is absolutely terrible. Nothing but complaints for the service and the customer service.

We are on about cable broadband ;)

I had Cable BB hence the 20 Meg. Dont get me wrong, the Download speeds were pretty good, 800-900 kbs easy and sometimes just over a meg, but it just didnt get on well with the Xbox even though i used a High speed Ethernet cable. The reliability of the modem was poor aswell, always had to reset it and sometimes i got no connection at all. Tried changing it and 3 different routers with little or no difference. Whenever i rang them up they just told me it was due to maitenence etc. TBF, they did bump me up to 20Meg for free though :D

I had Cable BB hence the 20 Meg. Dont get me wrong, the Download speeds were pretty good, 800-900 kbs easy and sometimes just over a meg, but it just didnt get on well with the Xbox even though i used a High speed Ethernet cable. The reliability of the modem was poor aswell, always had to reset it and sometimes i got no connection at all. Tried changing it and 3 different routers with little or no difference. Whenever i rang them up they just told me it was due to maitenence etc. TBF, they did bump me up to 20Meg for free though :D

Ahh, one of the rare ones then. 800-900 is pretty crap. When i *ahem* had a 20mb line i got 2.1-2.2mb consitantly. Sounds like proper line hardware issues that they didn't sort properly.