The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Video Game

Guest MarcB

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

World of Warcraft - in terms of depth/design/longevity/content etc. But I would go so far as to say that it belongs in it's own category in so far as it's probably now considered as more of a phenomenon, than a game!

In terms of the rest .. Half Life series would be right up there. Along with the Battlefield games and Command & Conquer (but I am biased ofc).

Going proper old-school ... X-Wing, Magic Carpet, Syndicate

Still thinking Doom 2 rules the roost here.

While groundbreaking in it's time, it's aged very badly. SS2 still works even now.

HalfLife and the HL2 episodes are a close second, thanks to the epic design, plot, acting, and basically getting everything right (except their release schedule :D ). But SS2 also had RPG and co-op on top of all that.

Fallout3 I'm a fan of, it's certainly big, and I spent 86 hours playing it :eek: but it is a bit of a Oblivion reskin. Which is no bad thing, but means it's not really original or groundbreaking, more a top quality refinement of existing stuff.

WoW lol, it's just a time sink money pit based around kit fever and e-peen. It's maybe best marketing ever but it's not the best game.

Timeless games for moi :

Elite

Moria

Nethack

Swiv

R-type

Cannon fodder 1+2

Dune 2

Portal & HL2

wonder boy III

Crazy Cars II

Skidmarks (with the caravan mod! Only time I'd ever drag a shed)

Carmageddon (especially when you start modding the physics)

Megalomania / populous / warlords

I'm sure I'll add to this list, even though I've probably mentioned some of these before :)

Ultima Online was the best game I have played tbh.

Started in 1998 and I still play now, its a sad state of affairs.

Carmageddon was good too, all the series.

I also have Nethack on my phone

I've been playing it for probably 15 years now. Ascended once!

Another time actually got killed by death :( sooooo close yet so far.

If people want a challenging game that keeps you on your toes yet not real time or hugely graphical... Nethack will consume you.

• 1 month later...

Already mentioned but streets of rage 2 how can a game be so awesome, oh I know by including the ultimate cheat. Just pick Max (the wrestler character) with combos which kill most enemies within one or two executions.

I remember completing this game on the 'hardest' setting, therefore unlocking the 'insane' mode and completing it without my character losing a life. Hell this game was so popular (OR SAD!) that our meagre youth club had a megadrive and this was its only game that we could play (must have been a bundle deal).

Still addictive after all these years. Just requires a quick blow on the cartridge to remove dust/oxiditation and away we go. "GRAND UPPER" anybody?

I remember pre-ordering this game thinking it was going to be better than Street Fighter 2 (got caught in all the Megadrive vs SNES rivalry hype I guess), which I loved back then. I used to cycle to the shop in town every week to check if it was in yet.. I must have been waiting months thanks to delays for the eventual release.

I was so dismayed when I played it that it was nothing like Street Fighter 2 LOL and I didnt even like it as a game in its own right. Maybe if I played it now I might appreciate it a bit more.. but alas, I sold my SEGA stuff years ago.