The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which one? PS3 or XBOX360 as a free gift

Aero-M

The 360 has far better cross game online intergration. The OS is constantly running in the background. This means, that as soon as I switch on, my profile is signed in, this then shows all my friends that I'm online. Big whoop you say?, my PS3 does this also. However, if you open a chat to your PS3 chum, that's all you can do, you can't play a game while you chat, you're stuck on a silly chat screen where you can send pictures to each other and nothing else. If you want to invite your mates to play cod 4 for example, you have to sort it all out on the phone, then send invites once everyone is signed in.

If one of you gets booted because of connection problems, he can't jump straight back in, he has to be invited once your party is back in the lobby, and you can't dicuss this with him as you can't chat to him. You can open up a chat with up to seven friends on the 360, while all of you are playing different games. One of you can then send an invite out to everyone who can jump straight into whatever game he is playing, totally seemless, no interuption, and no break in communication.

Due to the OS running, you can have custom soundtracks from your choice of music, from whatever source you want, so playing COD4 with slipknot from the IPOD blaring out is unbeatable. You can stream music from your pc, while playing games to use in the custom soundtrack, you can play from the 360 hard drive etc etc, the ps3 has some custom soundtrack support, but only on a handfull of games, the music also has to be saved to the hard drive.

Then there's the VOIP, some blutooth headsets are gash, which means although you can hear people, most of them are garbled rubbish. Everyone has the same high quality headset on the 360, so it's as clear as talking on the phone. Bottom line, it's no where near as good on the ps3.

Wait a minute!!!! :D

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did I put?

Um...if you're refering to my comment, I was under the impression you were bigging up the xbox to a large degree and then you said right at the end - the PS3 is better.

So iz confuzed innit?

If it's a joke - I apologise. I missed it. :)

Um...if you're refering to my comment, I was under the impression you were bigging up the xbox to a large degree and then you said right at the end - the PS3 is better.

So iz confuzed innit?

If it's a joke - I apologise. I missed it. :)

Having fun? ;)

Why does it take 48 minutes to download a 500k patch for Motor Storm? This is the third patch this game as had btw :(

My Xbox sits next to my PS3, obviously on the same wireless network, and even when MS overhauled the XBox OS it took less than 5 minutes?

Is the PSN just crap and XBox Live great? or is the Sony wireless 'built in' adaptor rubbish?

My broadband speed is around 6mb (probably average?) but the PS3 is horrible when it has to download anything... the PS3 is actually above my tele is a prime spot to get a signal, whereas the XBox wireless adapter is plugged in behind the tele :confused:

Please explain.

The 360 has far better cross game online intergration. The OS is constantly running in the background. This means, that as soon as I switch on, my profile is signed in, this then shows all my friends that I'm online. Big whoop you say?, my PS3 does this also. However, if you open a chat to your PS3 chum, that's all you can do, you can't play a game while you chat, you're stuck on a silly chat screen where you can send pictures to each other and nothing else.

That admittedly the 360 has currently, but that's just software which is stated going to be updated on the PS3, same with 360, they go through software updates/cycles and functionality is brought along in updates on both.

If one of you gets booted because of connection problems, he can't jump straight back in, he has to be invited once your party is back in the lobby, and you can't dicuss this with him as you can't chat to him. You can open up a chat with up to seven friends on the 360, while all of you are playing different games. One of you can then send an invite out to everyone who can jump straight into whatever game he is playing, totally seemless, no interuption, and no break in communication.

I think you may find that's CoD4/CoD5 specific for the game joining/invite stuff, it's not like that on Resistance 2 for example.

Also don't you find talking to 7 people simultaneously a bit distracting? I use a headset on the PS3 to talk to people generally about/in the game I'm playing to give that team advantage. If I want to talk to people otherwise I have a laptop + msn or a phone :)

Due to the OS running, you can have custom soundtracks from your choice of music, from whatever source you want, so playing COD4 with slipknot from the IPOD blaring out is unbeatable. You can stream music from your pc, while playing games to use in the custom soundtrack, you can play from the 360 hard drive etc etc, the ps3 has some custom soundtrack support, but only on a handfull of games, the music also has to be saved to the hard drive.

Isn't' it also custom soundtrack support on the 360 too? You can't play your own music on every single game, or at least not from the last time I looked. Correct me if I'm wrong, as I may well be. Saving games to the 360 is a good idea to lower access times and the din of that DVD drive. As for saving music to the PS3 isn't not too much of an issue with an 80Gb HDD or more if you've upgraded as many do to 320Gb for about £45. When I looked into buying a 360 Arcade just to play a few games online with friends I was told I'd have to have a HDD for that. I thought I could use a 3rd party drive... oh how wrong I was :(

Then there's the VOIP, some blutooth headsets are gash, which means although you can hear people, most of them are garbled rubbish. Everyone has the same high quality headset on the 360, so it's as clear as talking on the phone. Bottom line, it's no where near as good on the ps3.

Most bluetooth headsets I agree are horrible, cheap and nasty. Check out the sony specific High Quality one, which I'd say is on par with Microsoft's one. And it ties in with the OS and has more functionality than most other 3rd party headsets Both vendors will make the best headset normally specifically for their console because they design both console and headset giving them a development advantage.

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/6704615/Official-Sony-PS3-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headset/Product.html

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a PS3 fanboy, I've been tempted quite a few times to buy a 360 solely to play Forza, but alas it's the only xbox exclusive game I want, so now I'm holding out for GT HD.

Will be good to see the next Xbox and the next PS3. Previously I owned all 3 of the last generation - Gamecube, PS2 and Xbox. Maybe I will for the next gen too :)

Why does it take 48 minutes to download a 500k patch for Motor Storm? This is the third patch this game as had btw :(

Wifi issues? ISP issues? Network latency? The people that host Motorstorm having s*** servers? Maybe all of the above :)

My Xbox sits next to my PS3, obviously on the same wireless network, and even when MS overhauled the XBox OS it took less than 5 minutes?

Is the PSN just crap and XBox Live great? or is the Sony wireless 'built in' adaptor rubbish?

My broadband speed is around 6mb (probably average?) but the PS3 is horrible when it has to download anything... the PS3 is actually above my tele is a prime spot to get a signal, whereas the XBox wireless adapter is plugged in behind the tele :confused:

Please explain.

I'd check out your network and ISP, maybe also change the network settings on your wifi for both, I've got a 20Mb virgin cable modem and connect my PS3 to wifi, regularly get 1-1.8Mb/s on it fine. Try using a different channel. Are you using any NAT / firewall settings? Had the same issues with my wii not supporting either WPA or WEP at a certain bit level. Can't remember which though sorry dude.

Then again, as I said, you could have a genuine hardware issue Mike.

Wifi issues? ISP issues? Network latency? The people that host Motorstorm having s*** servers? Maybe all of the above :)

I'd check out your network and ISP, maybe also change the network settings on your wifi for both, I've got a 20Mb virgin cable modem and connect my PS3 to wifi, regularly get 1-1.8Mb/s on it fine. Try using a different channel. Are you using any NAT / firewall settings? Had the same issues with my wii not supporting either WPA or WEP at a certain bit level. Can't remember which though sorry dude.

Thanks mate :)

I just switched on the XBox and it worked... I'll trawl the multitude of PS3 settings and see if I can sort it.

I'm failry confident my Wireless network and ISP are fine.. browsing/downloading/XBox live is fine.

Then again, as I said, you could have a genuine hardware issue Mike.

Could be... this is my second PS3 already :(

Can't say I've had that problem, a 500k patch would download in no time at all, wirelessly or cabled, I've had no issues.

The worst one for updates I've had was when I bought GT Prologue and it immediately had a ~500MB update to download.

It's a small price to pay when you get additional content/cars/tracks etc. I presume xbox games just don't get updates as they always seem to bring up game updates as a down side to PS3 games?

I've got quite a few games now and I'd still say game updates are rare, and not usually very big. You can also just choose to not install the update.

That admittedly the 360 has currently, but that's just software which is stated going to be updated on the PS3, same with 360, they go through software updates/cycles and functionality is brought along in updates on both.

I think you may find that's CoD4/CoD5 specific for the game joining/invite stuff, it's not like that on Resistance 2 for example.

Also don't you find talking to 7 people simultaneously a bit distracting? I use a headset on the PS3 to talk to people generally about/in the game I'm playing to give that team advantage. If I want to talk to people otherwise I have a laptop + msn or a phone :)

Isn't' it also custom soundtrack support on the 360 too? You can't play your own music on every single game, or at least not from the last time I looked. Correct me if I'm wrong, as I may well be. Saving games to the 360 is a good idea to lower access times and the din of that DVD drive. As for saving music to the PS3 isn't not too much of an issue with an 80Gb HDD or more if you've upgraded as many do to 320Gb for about £45. When I looked into buying a 360 Arcade just to play a few games online with friends I was told I'd have to have a HDD for that. I thought I could use a 3rd party drive... oh how wrong I was :(

Most bluetooth headsets I agree are horrible, cheap and nasty. Check out the sony specific High Quality one, which I'd say is on par with Microsoft's one. And it ties in with the OS and has more functionality than most other 3rd party headsets Both vendors will make the best headset normally specifically for their console because they design both console and headset giving them a development advantage.

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/6704615/Official-Sony-PS3-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headset/Product.html

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a PS3 fanboy, I've been tempted quite a few times to buy a 360 solely to play Forza, but alas it's the only xbox exclusive game I want, so now I'm holding out for GT HD.

Will be good to see the next Xbox and the next PS3. Previously I owned all 3 of the last generation - Gamecube, PS2 and Xbox. Maybe I will for the next gen too :)

The PS3's OS takes up a chunk of the ram, the 360 OS has its own allocated memory, to it doesn't encroach onto the system memory.

All 360 games can use custom soundtracks.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to sit there and copy music from my PC to the ps3, that'd be a pain in the arse, and needless duplication.

Sure, the HD headset from Sony is good, but not everyone has one, so you're limited by whatever the person you're talking to has.

The specific game invite on some games fro the PS3 is none existant on 360. Every game is integrated into the live system, I can send and recieve invites from any game, and chat to friends. Even single player games.

The PS3's OS takes up a chunk of the ram, the 360 OS has its own allocated memory, to it doesn't encroach onto the system memory.

All 360 games can use custom soundtracks.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to sit there and copy music from my PC to the ps3, that'd be a pain in the arse, and needless duplication.

Sure, the HD headset from Sony is good, but not everyone has one, so you're limited by whatever the person you're talking to has.

The specific game invite on some games fro the PS3 is none existant on 360. Every game is integrated into the live system, I can send and recieve invites from any game, and chat to friends. Even single player games.

So you'd go for the PS3, yeah?

Every game is integrated into the live system, I can send and recieve invites from any game, and chat to friends. Even single player games.

The PS3 is going down that route though with game launching etc. through Home. Sounds like it's just a bit behind where the Xbox360 is at.

Can't say I've had that problem, a 500k patch would download in no time at all, wirelessly or cabled, I've had no issues.

The worst one for updates I've had was when I bought GT Prologue and it immediately had a ~500MB update to download.

It's a small price to pay when you get additional content/cars/tracks etc. I presume xbox games just don't get updates as they always seem to bring up game updates as a down side to PS3 games?

I've got quite a few games now and I'd still say game updates are rare, and not usually very big. You can also just choose to not install the update.

I think there is something wrong with my PS3.... bugger! :(

XBox do updates.. but they just take a few seconds. They never do any that last longer than 30 seconds usually.

Please explain.

Dunno, I have no issues at all with downloads on my PS3, its blisteringly quick to download various things, some times its not but again that could be down to peak usage, the server you're connected to or your own isp.

I set up a media center and link vids and music to my PS3 and it works great. But personally I couldn't care less about music when playing a game anyway.

Dunno, I have no issues at all with downloads on my PS3, its blisteringly quick to download various things, some times its not but again that could be down to peak usage, the server you're connected to or your own isp.

I set up a media center and link vids and music to my PS3 and it works great. But personally I couldn't care less about music when playing a game anyway.

I can stream films from my PC to my PS3, but the lap is insane and it makes them unwatchable. I shall dabble with the wireless settings and see if that makes any difference :)

I'm not sure your thought process is right there.

I would think because XBox is basically a PC... so easier to code for since XBox games are essentially a PC port.

I think this why games usually come out on XBox sooner and why PS3 owners have to wait so long? and XBox has more 'exclusive' titles.

This is also why Activision are threatening to pull support for the PS3 unless they make a price cut. For the units Activision are shifting it's not worth the effort to support it.

"I'm getting concerned about Sony," Kotick continued, "the PlayStation 3 is losing a bit of momentum and they don't make it easy for me to support the platform. It's expensive to develop for the console, and the Wii and the Xbox are just selling better. Games generate a better return on invested capital on the Xbox than on the PlayStation," he says.