The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which one? PS3 or XBOX360 as a free gift

Aero-M

I wasn't allowed a console, i was on computers from age 4 lol.

When you guys were playing nintendo, i was making a spider run around the screen on my ZX Spectrum. I still haven't played a game as addictive as the james bond pack i got with my +2 (james bond edition or something like that).

Out of curiosity, would those type of guns work on plasma's?

no gun will work on plasma or lcd as those wont reflect. Thats y with time crysis on the ps3 they came with this wierd box things that go neatly either side of the tele to pick up the gun

but we all know its all about Goldeneye multiplayer! ;)

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no gun will work on plasma or lcd as those wont reflect. Thats y with time crysis on the ps3 they came with this wierd box things that go neatly either side of the tele to pick up the gun

Gutted, i've got 2 +2 spectrum bond packs up stairs. I was going to have a go :(

Well continuing with the hijack, my mate Adam back in '79 received Mattel's Intellivision.

What a thing! The football game was incredible IIRC.

Anyway, without cheating does anyone remember which phone the OP may be getting with his PS3/Xbox?

Did nobody have an Amiga 500?? Now that was good with Shufflepuck Cafe and Outrun:)

Just getting back to the original point of this thread though, people moan that you have to pay for the Xbox online but it seems much better to play on than the PS3 and it only works out to £3.33 per month if you buy a 12 month membership which is £39.99 which isnt a lot really!!

And if you get it in GAME you can use you points from your card etc and in the end my membership only cost me £22.50, which is £1.87 per month which i think i can cope with :D

Did nobody have an Amiga 500?? Now that was good with Shufflepuck Cafe and Outrun:)

Yes, and a 500+, and a 1200 (which I still have) with a massive 120MB hard disk.

Just getting back to the original point of this thread though, people moan that you have to pay for the Xbox online but it seems much better to play on than the PS3

Why is it better? The PS3 connects to and plays online games fine, how does the XBox do that better? I keep asking this but nobody is able to give me an answer.

Why is it better? The PS3 connects to and plays online games fine, how does the XBox do that better? I keep asking this but nobody is able to give me an answer.

I just think its down to the gamplay of it and connection quality with the PS3 always being wireless the download speed is obviously slower so in my personal experience of them they seem to lag a lot more than the Xbox does but at the end of the day that is only my opinion :)

Apparantly the new Xbox isnt that far away from being finished so that maybe a better contender in more of an all round performer compared to the PS3 ;)

I just think its down to the gamplay of it and connection quality with the PS3 always being wireless the download speed is obviously slower so in my personal experience of them they seem to lag a lot more than the Xbox does but at the end of the day that is only my opinion :)

Apparantly the new Xbox isnt that far away from being finished so that maybe a better contender in more of an all round performer compared to the PS3 ;)

I doubt there is a new xbox coming out given MS has spent a ton of money on that new wireless controller thing. I can't remember the name.

And that new wireless device will make the win for xbox 360. Anyone know the name of it ?

Surely the "gameplay" depends on the game. With regards to connection quality I've never had any problems with lag/latency.

And why is the download speed obviously slower because it's wireless? My wireless network speed is far faster than my broadband connection, and although the PS3 is currently physically cabled to the router, I noticed no difference when using it wirelessly.

Surely the "gameplay" depends on the game. With regards to connection quality I've never had any problems with lag/latency.

And why is the download speed obviously slower because it's wireless? My wireless network speed is far faster than my broadband connection, and although the PS3 is currently physically cabled to the router, I noticed no difference when using it wirelessly.

I heard the xbox 360 gamertag system is superior to the ps3 version. Added with the fact it intergrates seemlessly with msn messenger, soon to add facebook and all that. Online gaming with camera usage.

Netflix interactivity coming soon - able to watch films online with friends (I fail to see purpose but its coming soon). There is a lot more but I cant access gamesites at work :(

I think they are both very cool. i have an Xbox as i like the racing games on it and im a sucker for new halo games. But the PS3 is very very very shiny!

I use xbox for streaming movies that have fallen off the internet onto my computer to the main TV. Which is nice ;)

Choose which ever one most of your mates have got. that way you can kill them or drive them off the road !

the best thing about being online on Xbox is the majority have headphones. So will talk the oens that dont are probably kids whos parents said no which is fine.

Also the talk in party feature is brilliant for games like COD. your in a private chat out of the game and up to 7 of you can be in that chat and talk bout what you been up to at weekend or if they fancy going out....ohh and how your gonna kill other team lol

the best thing about being online on Xbox is the majority have headphones. So will talk the oens that dont are probably kids whos parents said no which is fine.

Also the talk in party feature is brilliant for games like COD. your in a private chat out of the game and up to 7 of you can be in that chat and talk bout what you been up to at weekend or if they fancy going out....ohh and how your gonna kill other team lol

You must get ever so lonely when you are away from your Xbox ;)

The PS3 also has headphones, I sync my bluetooth headset with mine so I can listen to mentalists screaming at me in foreign languages.

Teamspeak on the PC always seemed to work so much better.

The 360 has far better cross game online intergration. The OS is constantly running in the background. This means, that as soon as I switch on, my profile is signed in, this then shows all my friends that I'm online. Big whoop you say?, my PS3 does this also. However, if you open a chat to your PS3 chum, that's all you can do, you can't play a game while you chat, you're stuck on a silly chat screen where you can send pictures to each other and nothing else. If you want to invite your mates to play cod 4 for example, you have to sort it all out on the phone, then send invites once everyone is signed in.

If one of you gets booted because of connection problems, he can't jump straight back in, he has to be invited once your party is back in the lobby, and you can't dicuss this with him as you can't chat to him. You can open up a chat with up to seven friends on the 360, while all of you are playing different games. One of you can then send an invite out to everyone who can jump straight into whatever game he is playing, totally seemless, no interuption, and no break in communication.

Due to the OS running, you can have custom soundtracks from your choice of music, from whatever source you want, so playing COD4 with slipknot from the IPOD blaring out is unbeatable. You can stream music from your pc, while playing games to use in the custom soundtrack, you can play from the 360 hard drive etc etc, the ps3 has some custom soundtrack support, but only on a handfull of games, the music also has to be saved to the hard drive.

Then there's the VOIP, some blutooth headsets are gash, which means although you can hear people, most of them are garbled rubbish. Everyone has the same high quality headset on the 360, so it's as clear as talking on the phone. Bottom line, it's no where near as good on the ps3.

1. PS3 is 1080 bit not 360bit

:search: what are you talking about?

Some spec compares, I am not bigging up the XBOX as I have a PS3 but this does show some differences.

Triangle Setup

Xbox 360 - 500 Million Triangles/sec

PS3 - 250 Million Triangles/sec

Vertex Shader Processing

Xbox 360 - 6.0 Billion Vertices/sec (using all 48 Unified Pipelines)

Xbox 360 - 2.0 Billion Vertices/sec (using only 16 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)

Xbox 360 - 1.5 Billion Vertices/sec (using only 12 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)

Xbox 360 - 1.0 Billion Vertices/sec (using only 8 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)

PS3 - 1.0 Billion Vertices/sec

Filtered Texture Fetch

Xbox 360 - 8.0 Billion Texels/sec

PS3 - 12.0 Billion Texels/sec

Vertex Texture Fetch

Xbox 360 - 8.0 Billion Texels/sec

PS3 - 4.0 Billion Texels/sec

Pixel Shader Processing with 16 Filtered Texels Per Cycle (Pixel ALU x Clock)

Xbox 360 - 24.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using all 48 Unified Pipelines)

Xbox 360 - 20.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using 40 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)

Xbox 360 - 18.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using 36 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)

Xbox 360 - 16.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using 32 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)

PS3 - 16.0 Billion Pixels/sec

Pixel Shader Processing without Textures (Pixel ALU x Clock)

Xbox 360 - 24.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using all 48 Unified Pipelines)

Xbox 360 - 20.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using 40 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)

Xbox 360 - 18.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using 36 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)

Xbox 360 - 16.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using 32 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)

PS3 - 24.0 Billion Pixels/sec

Multisampled Fill Rate

Xbox 360 - 16.0 Billion Samples/sec (8 ROPS x 4 Samples x 500MHz)

PS3 - 8.0 Billion Samples/sec (8 ROPS x 2 Samples x 500MHz)

Pixel Fill Rate with 4x Multisampled Anti-Aliasing

Xbox 360 - 4.0 Billion Pixels/sec (8 ROPS x 4 Samples x 500MHz / 4)

PS3 - 2.0 Billion Pixels/sec (8 ROPS x 2 Samples x 500MHz / 4)

Pixel Fill Rate without Anti-Aliasing

Xbox 360 - 4.0 Billion Pixels/sec (8 ROPS x 500MHz)

PS3 - 4.0 Billion Pixels/sec (8 ROPS x 500MHz)

Frame Buffer Bandwidth

Xbox 360 - 256.0 GB/sec (dedicated for frame buffer rendering)

PS3 - 20.8 GB/sec (shared with other graphics data: textures and vertices)

PS3 - 10.8 GB/sec (with 10.0 GB/sec subtracted for textures and vertices)

PS3 - 8.4 GB/sec (with 12.4 GB/sec subtracted for textures and vertices)

Texture/Vertex Memory Bandwidth

Xbox 360 - 22.4 GB/sec (shared with CPU)

Xbox 360 - 14.4 GB/sec (with 8.0 GB/sec subtracted for CPU)

Xbox 360 - 12.4 GB/sec (with 10.0 GB/sec subtracted for CPU)

PS3 - 20.8 GB/sec (shared with frame buffer)

PS3 - 10.8 GB/sec (with 10.0 GB/sec subtracted for frame buffer)

PS3 - 8.4 GB/sec (with 12.4 GB/sec subtracted for frame buffer)

Shader Model

Xbox 360 - Shader Model 3.0+ / Unified Shader Architecture

PS3 - Shader Model 3.0 / Discrete Shader Architecture

Xbox 360 has the advantage in most cases.

Some PS3 GPU (RSX) specs are still not confirmed as final. It's assumed to have 24 pixel pipelines, 8 vertex pipelines, 8 ROPS (raster), and 550MHz clock speed. But any of those could change, especially the clock speed.

Are there any other GPU spec categories worth adding?

UPDATE: RSX figures were updated to represent GeForce 7 based architecture with 24 pixel pipelines, 8 vertex pipelines, 8 ROPS, 500MHz core, and 650MHz memory. In other words, it dropped from 550MHz/700MHz to 500MHz/650MHz.