The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which one? PS3 or XBOX360 as a free gift

Aero-M

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ps3 myself. People may buy you blu-ray disks as birthday/xmas presents

Stores are about equal. Most games are equal. Unless you're a halo / GTA nut I'd say go for the PS3.

Also PS3 runs quieter and cooler, HDD is also very easily upgradable and Gran Turismo may come out this year :p

Oh and online gameplay you don't have to pay for a monthly/yearly subscription

Not that you ever use it! You need to start playing Warhawk so that I can actually play against someone I know rather than random people who have added me.

I only really use it to stream movies and TV etc at the moment, I need a bigger TV in a bigger house so that I can play games without the need to sit on the coffee table with my nose touching the screen to be able to see properly.

What you really mean is that you want to beat someone on Warhawk, I can promise you'll be able to do that so I'll let you know what I can get online :)

To be honest I'm still not finding a return to console gaming all that satisfying, I still prefer a PC for such things, the PS3 makes a great media player though.

Does the ps3 upscale normal dvd'd to Hd quality?

It does yes. I've only recently just bought a 50" plasma TV and tested this upscaling out. It's not a huge difference but it's definitely an improvement having upscaling turned on. I haven't messed around with any of the noise reduction settings etc. so don't know how they affect things.

I only really use it to stream movies and TV etc at the moment, I need a bigger TV in a bigger house so that I can play games without the need to sit on the coffee table with my nose touching the screen to be able to see properly.

Have I mentioned I've bought a 50" plasma TV? :)

What you really mean is that you want to beat someone on Warhawk, I can promise you'll be able to do that so I'll let you know what I can get online :)

To be honest I'm still not finding a return to console gaming all that satisfying, I still prefer a PC for such things, the PS3 makes a great media player though.

I'm in a pretty similar situation. I honestly couldn't say the last time i played a game on the PS3, although i'm thinking about it now. I use it every single day as a mediaserver though. With the right program "serving" it really is a great bit of kit.

My priorities with the PS3 are actually:

Mediacenter -> Blu-Ray Player -> Games Machine

Bit backwards i guess.

Have I mentioned I've bought a 50" plasma TV? :)

I've seen mention of it a "few" times and each time I do a small amount of bile gets thrown up into my mouth, you really do sicken me :tongue:

Although I'm guessing you are at work now... is the house empty? ;)

Thinking about it if you turn the TV in the right direction I could probably watch it from my house!

Anyway back on topic - have the games developers made the most of what the PS3 can do yet? I know the GPU in the XBox is superior on paper and that the PS3 has the potentially better CPU (or SPU?) setup that still hasn't been fully exploited. The way I see it is that the Xbox is currently the superior gaming option because the games available exploit it's potential to the full... but this also means they have reached a point where they can't get any better, the PS3 still has a long way to come, especially for releases specific to the machine rather than multi-platform offerings.

For me the PS3 is a capable media centre that has the ability to play games to a decent standard with the potential for massive improvements once the developers exploit it's potential. The XBox is a games console that would have liked to be a media centre, please plug another device in to enable X and then another one to enable Y - do they even come with wireless built in these days?

The real difference comes when you have a "hardcore" gamer that needs access to things everywhere, stick a PSP on the same network as the PS3 and share games and saves between them, go on holiday and use the PSP to switch on the PS3 and access all the files on it remotely... it's the little things like this that are still only in their infancy that set them apart.

The XBox has peaked but still has the potential to deliver more games to the same high standard with well thought out online play at a cost, the PS3 is still in it's infancy, sure it's taking a while for it to come of age but it should be quite interesting if it ever gets there....

Ps3 all the way, I've had 2 xbox's and i'm now on my 2 ps3! Had loads of problems with the xbox with the ring of death, but the ps3 has worked perfect!

The graphics on the games I found better on the xbox but for all round the ps3 wins, plus the bluray player built in is handy! :)

I don't get what you mean, how does the xbox 'not do' full HD?

Because it does 720p via componant/DVI (not full HD)

the elite does 1080p via HDMI (Full HD) but seeing that its free i doubt it will be the elite model.

Any model of PS3 does 1080p over HDMI out of the box, and upscales DVD to 1080i, aswell as full HD blu-ray

HTH

Actually 1080i via component ;)

Any model of PS3 does 1080p over HDMI out of the box, and upscales DVD to 1080i, aswell as full HD blu-ray

They have only just started making PS3 games 1080p in the last 10 months or so... before that the early ones were all 720p.

I didn't think PS3 up-scaled? :confused:

the elite does 1080p via HDMI (Full HD) but seeing that its free i doubt it will be the elite model.

HTH

I thought ps3 Upscale but did not realise it did it up to 1080i.

Blue rays are so clear, Even if you don't think you need it etc its good to have.

Never spent 20 mins downloading anything. Does this depend on internet connection?

Never owned an xbox so can't really give a UN biased comment. But i do prefer the ps3 controller. I've followed the ps since the ps1. Never been let down. Two friends at work have both sent their xboxes back to be fixed. It’s not a long turn around and neither has been charged. Just seems a UN necessary annoyance to bear.

PS3 all the way. :)

I'd go PS3- a mate of mine bought an Xbox and by the time he'd bought all the extras you need to play online etc.. he'd spent enough to buy a PS3. I'm going to be looking at the same deal in the next couple of months and i might end up getting one with the Wii option instead, as im not a massive gamer. Or get the PS3, sell it and buy a Wii and have some money left over..... Ye i'll do that