The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which one? PS3 or XBOX360 as a free gift

Aero-M

I'd go PS3- a mate of mine bought an Xbox and by the time he'd bought all the extras you need to play online etc.. he'd spent enough to buy a PS3. I'm going to be looking at the same deal in the next couple of months and i might end up getting one with the Wii option instead, as im not a massive gamer. Or get the PS3, sell it and buy a Wii and have some money left over..... Ye i'll do that

If you have a good PC and its hooked up to your TV (or good monitor) and happy to play wii games on it and also know about downloading games etc...(or infact u can play the real games too) PM me and ill show you an emulator and bits you need to have playable wii....without the wii itself :D Simple and quite interesting to do.

saves on more unwanted Junk and money of course buying the wii!

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both, and would say 360 all the way!

The only thing I find better about the PS3 is the media player when you hook it up to your pc. Other than that if you're not botherd about Blu-Ray then 360 is the wise choice due to games! Especially if PGR and Fable are your thing!

I thought to get HD you needed a HDMI cable and not component

I have one of the first XBoxes (still going strong, never let me down!) and it's connected to the tele via component as there is no HDMI connection on it - this appears as 1080i on screen.

I think 1080p is considered 'full HD' these days.

I actually found 1080i at 60hz via HD-DVD to look much better and sharper than BluRay at 1080p with 26hz (or whatever it is?)

They have only just started making PS3 games 1080p in the last 10 months or so... before that the early ones were all 720p.

I've got some early games that were 1080p too. Most games are in 720p though, I think the XBox360 is the same isn't it?

I didn't think PS3 up-scaled? :confused:

Yeah, it's not enabled by default but there's several upscaling options in the video setting section, along with different noise reduction filter stuff.

If you have a good PC and its hooked up to your TV (or good monitor) and happy to play wii games on it and also know about downloading games etc...(or infact u can play the real games too) PM me and ill show you an emulator and bits you need to have playable wii....without the wii itself :D Simple and quite interesting to do.

saves on more unwanted Junk and money of course buying the wii!

Oooh this sounds interesting, PM'ed. ;)

I've got some early games that were 1080p too. Most games are in 720p though, I think the XBox360 is the same isn't it?

yea your right most the same. What i do find funny is some geeks compare it down to the last line where xbox maybe 720p but ps3 is 480 x500 lines or something.

Very few games are 1080p or 60fps....apart from Forza 3 when its out and GT5 if its ever out!

You can run the xbox 1080 but you still have to have the TV to support it and yes it can be ran through components although on the later model of the Xbox you can run HDMI's as you can buy the cables for less than £15 unless like stated its an Elite then it comes with them :)

Anyway back on topic - have the games developers made the most of what the PS3 can do yet? I know the GPU in the XBox is superior on paper and that the PS3 has the potentially better CPU (or SPU?) setup that still hasn't been fully exploited. The way I see it is that the Xbox is currently the superior gaming option because the games available exploit it's potential to the full... but this also means they have reached a point where they can't get any better, the PS3 still has a long way to come, especially for releases specific to the machine rather than multi-platform offerings.

Not fully yet, I don't think Cell has had as much development pace as it could have, primarily due to the multi-core method and also that most software houses have to nowadays cope for a multi-format release.

The 360 has edged the PS3 graphically on some games and development due to GPU/Ram architecture. I believe the main one I was reading about was Square Enix complaining about the capabilities of the PS3 for Final Fantasy:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/final-fantasy-xiii-how-will-it-work-on-360-article

http://www.eurogamer.net/game/final-fantasy-13-ps3

Basically because Microsoft put in 10Mb (yes 10 megabytes) or DRAM for the GPU. Helps with textures it seems.

Then again I'm hoping Gran Turismo with all it's delays will really shine on the PS3

For me the PS3 is a capable media centre that has the ability to play games to a decent standard with the potential for massive improvements once the developers exploit it's potential. The XBox is a games console that would have liked to be a media centre, please plug another device in to enable X and then another one to enable Y - do they even come with wireless built in these days?

If you look at it from a product lifecycle view, the successor to the Wii is due out late 2010/early 2011. The 360's successor going on refresh periods should be 2011/2012 with the PS4 out even later.

I don't think the 360 will ever get to the media solution that the PS3 has got to, Microsoft will be detracting too much from their other business with Media Centre software and PCs as well as their funky Surface technology. Why butcher other business? Sony haven't got anything to lose really by expanding out the playstation brand. Shame the new PSP Go looks like it won't be bringing any new functionality hardware wise.

Also I never warmed to the 360 due to them rushing it out, hushing up GPU, motherboard, heat, power supply issues. After they increased the warranty to 3 years due to the amount of faults no matter how many revisions they make I won't be trusting their product. Flawed from the start HW wise :( All so they could get a few months on Sony getting to market first.

I'm trying to be ambiguous on my points, but the Sony did come out as a more complete solution with more hardware headroom to cope with the software evolving over time. The 360 with unfortunately backing HD-DVD in a lacklustre fashion, small HDDs which aren't user upgradeable and Microsoft generally charging you for everything (wifi, HD, HDD, bigger HDD, online subscription).

I hope Microsoft will learn from this all and not rush the next box to market. The wii has shown Microsoft that coming to market late doesn't dent unit sales. The wii also showed Sony that you don't need the mutt's nuts hardware wise to make a good games console.

I think it's a case of people thinking, pay more, get better.

When they see they haven't actually got any better than if they had opted for the XBox, they make all of these justifications as to why PS3 is the way forward - the controller is smaller and it's got Bluray :rolleyes:

As Casey points out, we're nearing the end of this particular console generations lifespan, but it hasn't really started for PS3 yet? Killzone 2 is the first proper game it's had.. and that was a fairly repetitive First Person (shopping trolley) shooter :D

Hopefully GT5 can pull it up into something looking like a competitor, if it ever comes out. I bought mine for God of War 3 and even that's getting a panning in the press :(

As Casey points out, we're nearing the end of this particular console generations lifespan, but it hasn't really started for PS3 yet? Killzone 2 is the first proper game it's had.. and that was a fairly repetitive First Person (shopping trolley) shooter :D

Hopefully GT5 can pull it up into something looking like a competitor, if it ever comes out. I bought mine for God of War 3 and even that's getting a panning in the press :(

KZ2 was horribly disappointing :( I'm thrashing the heck out of Resistance 2 still. The online play is fantastic, haven't even touched the campaign. KZ2 was over-hyped, over-rated, late and concentrated too much on the cut-scenes looking all shiny shiny. Yeah R2 isn't the best graphically, but damn it's got a good bit of longevity online :)

GT5 I hope will be good, Sony will be pushing it for good xmas sales I bet. Final Fantasy will be out for all consoles. Actually trying to think what Christmas exclusive titles will be out for each boxes now...

Played GoW2 the other day on the 360, didn't rate it :( it's just too slow. Then again most FPS games are too slow on the consoles. Look back at Quake, Half Life etc on the PC and it's much faster reaction times.

Oh and Fallout 3 DLC on the PS3 should be out in November/December ;)

Next generation consoles - more storage, better GUI/Dashboard and some lighteningly quick games to play on a nice big HDTV and a good method of controlling/interacting are my wishlist. Media centre stuff may come and go, there's too many possibilities for that like JustGav's showing with media centre PCs and a backend server somewhere. I want a *games* console. For games.

Simples.

I don't think I will be using all the media center stuff so looks like the xbox is favourite at the moment, Am I right in thinking I could use my old xbox games on the 360 as well?.

Also I have found another company who offer the xbox elite (black console) for the same monthly deal as the ps3.

Most of them. Check here for the list. The early PS3's had BC... but not any more :(

Excellent thanks Mike. My 3 games I play are on there.

this is the deal I think I will go for, Seems a decent phone with the Elite console. It's a fiver cheaper than I pay currently, I need the high number of free minutes for work.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/buy/LG-KU990-VIEWTY-D45PR-XBOXE