The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ronnie Biggs release

jacko

Just wondered what people's views are on the release of Ronnie Biggs on "compassionate grounds"?

Personally i dont really get the difference if he is "released" or not, he's in hospital anyway. Plus he managed to evade the British justice system for years, so what difference is a few weeks going to make

I dont know quite what it is, but there always seems to be a slight sense of admiration for people like Biggs. Maybe in a way people wish he had never returned to Britain after years of sticking his fingers up to the justice system, the public like a rebel dont they.

It's like the robbers that stole £50m the other year, how many people didnt want them to get caught....

He was on the run for 40 years almost and had to keep an eye over his shoulder for the duration, he could'nt lay his hat for more than 5 mins until brazil even then he had to worry about being kidnapped and brought back here! Thats no life really for anyone so in my eyes he's done his time now let him live out his days gracefully.

I've got no sympathy for him at all. He was happy to stick two fingers up to this country for 30 years - if he'd served out his sentence when first convicted he would've been released years ago. If people want to brand him a minor criminal then fine - but he's a minor criminal who's never expressed any regret whatsoever for his crime and only came back to this country when he got sick.

I've got no sympathy for him at all. He was happy to stick two fingers up to this country for 30 years - if he'd served out his sentence when first convicted he would've been released years ago. If people want to brand him a minor criminal then fine - but he's a minor criminal who's never expressed any regret whatsoever for his crime and only came back to this country when he got sick.

My sentiments exactly. How can a man, any man, expect sympathy from people after committing such a heinous crime. He obviously had no compassion for the person whos life was cut short during the robbery so i say he should have spent his final days where he belongs...in prison!!

Well, I reckon there's more to him than just a cheeky chappy on a cheeky caper. I guess it was quite a ruthless crime in its day. People can get doey-eyed about what he did, but I won't.

By today's standards, the punishment does seem harsh compared to the crime. I don't know what you'd have to do these to get locked up for 30 years, apart from be the next Fred West or Dr Shipman.

In the paper this morning, it seemed to imply that he escaped from jail 15 months before the end of a 30-year stretch. Now why the hell did he do that?

Total waste of time IMHO.

He spent years running from Justice - so what if he 'couldn't lay his hat for more than 5 mins' or had to spend years keeping 'an eye over his shoulder'? He volunteered for that lifestyle - nobody forced him to go to S. America. If he'd styed in the UK and faced the music at the time, he'd have been able to enjoy his old age. As they say - if you can't do the time, don't do the crime. But Biggs didn't have the balls to stick around and take what was coming to him.

As it is, he waited until he was getting old and infirm before coming back to the UK where we have a nice national health service to look after him. No doubt he thought that coming back at that age would mean he wouldn't do much time inside if any at all.

And now my route to work is full of news teams making me late in the morning as I work right next door to the Norfolk & Norwich Hospital!

:bang:

I believe in freedom. Better late than never. He who can be pardoned, should be.

Even those who fart in their father's footsteps.

What, freedom for criminals? An interesting concept..... Also why should remorseless people be pardoned?

I believe in freedom. Better late than never. He who can be pardoned, should be.

Even those who fart in their father's footsteps.

Are you off ya nut????:blink:

So if a guy shot and robbed your family should be pardoned?

Or if someone rapped an underage girl

If you do the crime you deserve to do the time

Thats why we have a justice system!!!

i think he should of been sent directly back to brazil he only came here for medical help when he couldnt afford it himself,

id hate to think the money keeping him alive cost the life of somone else, ive done a bit of bird, i paid the price, he decided to run till it suited him throw him back

What was the Sex Pistol's song mentioning Ronnie? I quite like the guy, and I remember the robbery well. It is in no doubt that it captured the imagination of the public even at the time, and I remember being in awe of the sums involved. I later found an acquaintance had been deeply involved in the organisational side of the robbery (he's now died) and I got to hear all sorts of stuff. OK, the train driver died later, but it was dubious as whether his injuries directly caused his demise. I'd FAR FAR rather see him spend at least an academic amount of his short time left as a free man than see that black woman done for drug smuggling not be deported back to Barbados or whatever hole she came from, as she claims she's now become a lesbian (since doing an insignificant amount of bird) , and she would be beaten for it in her homeland. Yes, right..... I'd happily top her myself, devious, shallow, thick bitch :)

So yes, I raise a glass to Ronnie. His son seems a nice guy, not at all as I might (prejudicially) expect. He's sort of an "Old school" robber, and the job was brilliant.

Someone did die on the robbery. And it wasnt one of the robbers

Are you sure? The train driver was attacked by the gang and never worked again but died about seven years after the robbery from lukemia.

In the paper this morning, it seemed to imply that he escaped from jail 15 months before the end of a 30-year stretch. Now why the hell did he do that?

Think you will find it was 15 months into a 30 year sentence :)

Surely, one of the factors taken into account when granting parole is the likelyhood to re-offend. The guy is 80 years old and dying from pneumonia!

No remorse as well. Do you reckon the lowlife who trashed Ellis's car last week are likely to show remorse? If not, will they get 30 years? (I know we would like to see it :))