The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need a new car for the wife!

JamieP

So far its between bmw 3 series/audi a4 and the lexus is250, I like the Lexus best and she likes the bmw, we have been looking at the car giants website and they have loads of cars so going there tomorrow to see if we can find something she likes.

The IS250 is nice , but what ever you do dont get the 220d!

They're shocking!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bud i have driven the new IS, the 220d and 250 and wooooooooooooooooow! lexus as usual but both engine have got grunt, your really going to enjoy driving them. rather have the 250 though!

If your interested my friend has an Audi A3 s-line black 06 plate for about 11k and he also has a nice 06 plate i think, R32 in blue for a bit more than your budget but still great cars.

My bro has similar requirements and budget, I found him a stunning low mileage new shape BMW 320 diesal in black. If you are interested I'll dig out the link. Something like 30k miles and £10500 for a 2006/7 model. He is interested but is borrowing my zed for a while to see if he wants that.

The is220d's have problems with the egr valves clogging, most days we're seeing 2 to 3 a day coming in on the back of a recovery truck! We're having to replace the egr valves the coolers and sometimes the cat!

Would love the IS250 though , if you get one with lexus warranty left make sure you get a new set of rims aswell as you can guarentee they'll be corroded ;)

Adnan, dont call this late mate, baby is asleep next to me;)

The is220d's have problems with the egr valves clogging, most days we're seeing 2 to 3 a day coming in on the back of a recovery truck! We're having to replace the egr valves the coolers and sometimes the cat!

Would love the IS250 though , if you get one with lexus warranty left make sure you get a new set of rims aswell as you can guarentee they'll be corroded ;)

Thanks for that info.

A bit over 10k but how about

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/imgser-uk/servlet/media?id=954753785

Might be too big for the wifey but YOU can't complain about the engine :D

That is the single-worst car you could have possibly suggested :)

Why on earth would you want that when you can buy a decent Lexus or BMW? Even a Mercedes, which this car is based upon, is significantly better. The engine is OK, but it'll drink fuel and the car weighs as much as a small solar system. For that reason it won't handle either, which discounts it as a car to have 'fun' in.

Don't get a Cupra R. I had one before my Supra. In my opinion it's not big enough for a whole family and all of the crap you have to carry. And baby things take a good whack of space. I loved it personally, and it was reliable and comfortable, but I don't have a baby!

Andy.

Think Jamie's requirements were 4 door...

The 300c would be my choice...think about it, you already have a brilliant track car, the 300c is like a mini bentley... rather than buy these small cars and squeeze everything in, 300c will get you there in style! Wife would love it because it looks really lush inside and all her friends will be jelous :p

The Supra is the fun

300c is the chill, Remeber Mercedes underpinnings!

The 300c would be my choice...think about it, you already have a brilliant track car, the 300c is like a mini bentley...

No, it isn't.

rather than buy these small cars and squeeze everything in, 300c will get you there in style!

No, it won't.

Wife would love it because it looks really lush inside and all her friends will be jelous :p

No, they won't.

Remeber Mercedes underpinnings!

And here we get to the problem with the 300c. It's all the worst parts of a Mercedes, coupled with American shoddy build quality and topped off with garish, almost pretentious looks.

Every time I see a 300c lumbering its way up the street I always think the same thing: It's a status symbol for people who don't know a thing about status.

For me it sends all the wrong messages.

...Oh, and my old estate agent used to have one, which makes me slightly biased because he was a complete twat.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone owned or currently own an IS250? what are they like from a fuel economy perspective?

Interested in the 6sp Auto. Interested in opinions between the petrol and diesel versions.

Jamie - what did you end up going for?

Got anything for her yet jamie?

Not yet, she has not liked anything we have looked at and i gave up for a while, her dad deals in cars part time and has a 2003 range rover coming in soon that she liked the sound of, she did say cars like that was to big but now apparently not, i like them so hopefully this one will work out.