The mkiv Supra Owners Club

This can't be good .. oil loss + white smoke

JamesArup

First noticed some white smoke on Sunday whilst pulling up to some traffic light and changing down through the gears. Saw a small cloud of white smoke on the overrun as I changed down from 3rd to 2nd. After that, it seemed ok.

Also seemed ok driving to work today (about 30 mins), so I thought it was just a random one-off. But on the way back this evening, I saw it again. And as I got to my house, I blipped the throttle a couple of times and, sure enough, white smoke.

It's not a huge billowing cloud of white smoke, but it's enough to notice. It only seems to appear after the car has warmed up, I don't notice it from a cold start at all.

I filled the oil to max 2 weeks ago. I just checked it again this evening after seeing the white smoke, and it's down to 50%!! That's a little disturbing!

From reading around, I'm guessing that it's potentially the turbo seals, or valve stems? But would the turbo seals produce a more sustained, thick, cloud of white smoke? And would it result in going from 100% to 50% on the dipstick within 2 weeks?

Either way, it's a bit disturbing, and I need it to get to work. I am due in for some major work soon, which I guess is the only upside!

Any advice would be great,

Cheers, J

I had most of your symptoms on my car a few weeks ago, but the fact that you're not getting a puff of smoke out the exhaust on startup or whilst cold makes me think it's not the same issues I had (valve stem seals).

What happens if you leave it idling from cold for a minute then blip the throttle? Also when warm have you tried leaving it idling for a minute or two and then blipping it to see if it's a bigger cloud?

Could be a buildup of crap in the exhaust if you're doing a lot of short/slow (your commute) trips and not getting much WOT action blasting it out possibly? Have you tried going down the bypass and seeing if you're getting smoke on WOT?

After my head was rebuilt at AFR all my white smoke / smoke on startup disappeared.

I admit I haven't seen first hand turbo oil seals go on these cars, but wouldn't that be blue-ish smoke for the oil? White smoke = water doesn't it?

Thanks guys.

Yah, I thought this was something recent, but my Brother has just informed me that he saw the white smoke too, always when slowing down to approach a junction/lights etc when he was using my car a few months back.

I haven't seen the white smoke within 10-15 mins or so after startup, it only seems to be once it's nicely warmed up. Must admit that I haven't given it a 'proper' blast down the bypass for a while, but that's not to say that I haven't given it a little poke from time to time ;).

I definately haven't seen any huge, billowing clouds of white smoke. Just small, but noticeable ones on the overrun, and when blipping the throttle after a 30 min drive home. I will definately check for mayo tomorrow morning!

Luckily I'm in the same boat as you Caseys .. due into AFR soon, so hopefully they can find the gremlins :)

Cheers, J

Well, there doesn't seem to be any 'mayo' under the coolant cap (yet), and I didn't see any white smoke on my way into work this morning.

Sounds like Tricky-Ricky might be closest to the mark at the moment based on the symptoms that I am seeing.

Either way, it's going to need fixing! :(

Sounds like its your turbo seals.

You're looking for white mayo on the oil cap not the coolant cap. I dont expect you to find any mayo to be honest.

White smoke on overrun shows up oil seals, what shows them up more is double decat the low pressure on the exhaust side means oil seeps through on overrun as pressure drops and burns off.

Ways to slow progression of problem if BPU;

If double decat put back in the 2nd cat - it is the least restrictive but puts a bit more back pressure in there. use boost controller to raise boost.

replace front cat - higher pressure, but temps will rise.

Put both in - this will probably stop problem full stop.

The above will only help them last longer. Mine started doing this after i blew 2nd turbo,replaced it and the 1 i put on must of had a weak seal :( came from turbo fit ironically! so bought some 2nd hand turbos for £150 ready to fit, I put the 2nd cat back in and this stopped the problem on overrun, no more white smoke whilst driving. Only reason i can tell its got worse is the white smoke on start up has been getting worse and worse. If i leave the car a week or 2 i get a good blow of white smoke and then it clears quickly. I expected them to go quite quickly.....1yr and half later and the turbos are still going. Every turbo is different but as you can see they can last a long time with the issue.

Hope the above helps.

Edited by Whitesupraboy2 (see edit history)

Engine oil smoke is blue. Brake fluid and most anti freeze mixes produce white smoke when burnt in the combustion chambers. Water vapour (steam) also looks white but disperses far faster than smoke. It also condenses readily on a cold surface. Things like this CAN be good, for people like me.... ;)

Hmmm, well, it seemed to get a whole lot worse tonight.

Got white smoke within 5 mins of starting today, which I haven't seen before. But again, only small clouds of it as I come to a stop at a junction or lights etc.

The worst part (not sure if they are related) is that my clutch pedal is getting stuck flat to the floor all the time. It's been doing it occasionally, but tonight it was constant. The clutch still engages (most of the time) but I have to stick my foot under the pedal and pull it back up all the time. Not much fun when you are in a traffic jam. It's also starting to get hard to get it out of gear because of this! When I got home, and reversed into the drive, the clutch pedal got jammed down and I couldn't get it out of gear. The only options I had were to pull the pedal up, which would have involved me jumping backwards through a fence, or turning the ignition off ... which is what I did. Then I pulled the pedal up and got it out of reverse with the engine off.

It's really not much fun, and I am dreading rush hour tomorrow. On both occasions when the white smoke and the clutch pedal have been worst, is when it was a hot day outside. The car was really hot when I got out of work today, and I am wondering if this has an effect? I don't have a ramp or anything, so it's next to impossible for me to get under there and check everything without some 'professional' help!

Is it likely that the white smoke (which I am fairly certain isn't steam as it seems to 'linger' a bit) and the clutch issues are related?

Cheers, J

Is it possible, that your clutch cylinder is leaking?

1) is explains your pedal loss as you have no fluid left, or the part has failed completely.

2) it explains the white smoke as brake fluid creates white smoke.

3) It explains it happening when you pull up to junctions as you depress the clutch.

4) it explains why it only happens when warm, as the exhaust needs to be hot enough to burn the fluid.

heh, I think you might be right Chris!

Supra problems are like buses. Everything is fine for years, then lots of problems come along at once :)

The car had been standing relatively still for the best part of 2 years whilst I was working out in Madrid. My Brother used it from time-to-time, but for the most part, it was sitting under covers for 4-5 months at a time. So it doesn't come as too much of a suprise to me that some gremlins are starting to show ... although it has taken the best part of 2 months to manifest itself like this.

This morning, the clutch pedal stuck to the floor the first time I used it to pull out of the driveway ... but after that, it was relatively well behaved! I'm not sure if I was imagining it, but I swear there were times where the clutch pedal seemed to move down by itself .... but maybe I am just going mad! Mind you, I didn't see white smoke today (it's wet & raining), but I was paying more attention to the clutch than anything else!

Well, it's due in for some fairly extensive work soon, and a new clutch is one of the jobs, but I'm not sure what the best course of action is until then!

Thanks for the help,

Cheers, J

Hmm, I certainly don't see white smoke like that on startup, and when I do see it (when I come to a stop at lights etc), it doesn't seem to be as much as in your video. But that might just be because my problem isn't as advanced as yours just yet!

I guess I am just going to have to hold on until the car goes in, and all these issues can be sorted out by someone far more intelligent than me (with a ramp!).

Cheers, J :D

Well, now I know I wasn't going mad!

It was better in general today, maybe because it was wet and cold again. But I went around a tight roundabout (almost full lock) to the right, and the pedal moved itself to the floor on it's own.

I felt it disappear from under my foot with no pressure from me at all, and the next thing I know, it's flat on the floor without me ever having touched it!

Not so worried about the white smoke anymore, didn't see it today. But the clutch thing is irritating!

Bad times!